Wage losses due to overqualification: The role of formal degrees and occupational skills
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Richard Desjardins & Kjell Rubenson, 2011. "An Analysis of Skill Mismatch Using Direct Measures of Skills," OECD Education Working Papers 63, OECD Publishing.
- Arnaud Chevalier & Joanne Lindley, 2009.
"Overeducation and the skills of UK graduates,"
Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A,
Royal Statistical Society, vol. 172(2), pages 307-337.
- Chevalier, Arnaud & Lindley, Joanne, 2006. "Over-Education and the Skills of UK Graduates," IZA Discussion Papers 2442, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Chevalier, Arnaud & Lindley, Joanne, 2007. "Over-education and the skills of UK graduates," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19397, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Arnaud Chevalier & Joanne Lindley, 2007. "Over-Education and the Skills of UK Graduates," CEE Discussion Papers 0079, Centre for the Economics of Education, LSE.
- Hartog, Joop, 2000. "Over-education and earnings: where are we, where should we go?," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 131-147, April.
- Kathryn L. Shaw, 1984. "A Formulation of the Earnings Function Using the Concept of Occupational Investment," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 19(3), pages 319-340.
- Gary S. Becker, 1962. "Investment in Human Capital: A Theoretical Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 70, pages 1-9.
- Brynin, Malcolm & Longhi, Simonetta, 2009. "Overqualification: Major or minor mismatch?," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 114-121, February.
- Allen, Jim & van der Velden, Rolf, 2001. "Educational Mismatches versus Skill Mismatches: Effects on Wages, Job Satisfaction, and On-the-Job Search," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(3), pages 434-452, July.
- Bauer, Thomas K., 2002. "Educational mismatch and wages: a panel analysis," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 221-229, June.
- Sattinger, Michael, 1993. "Assignment Models of the Distribution of Earnings," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(2), pages 831-880, June.
- Séamus McGuinness, 2006. "Overeducation in the Labour Market," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(3), pages 387-418, July.
- David H. Autor & Michael J. Handel, 2013.
"Putting Tasks to the Test: Human Capital, Job Tasks, and Wages,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 31(S1), pages 59-96.
- David H. Autor & Michael J. Handel, 2009. "Putting Tasks to the Test: Human Capital, Job Tasks and Wages," NBER Working Papers 15116, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dieter Verhaest & Eddy Omey, 2010.
"The determinants of overeducation: different measures, different outcomes?,"
International Journal of Manpower,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 31(6), pages 608-625, September.
- D. Verhaest & E. Omey, 2009. "The Determinants of Overeducation: Different Measures, Different Outcomes?," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 09/592, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Kostas Mavromaras & Seamus McGuinness & Mark Wooden, 2007. "Overskilling in the Australian Labour Market," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 40(3), pages 307-312, September.
- Christina Gathmann & Uta SchÃ¶nberg, 2010.
"How General Is Human Capital? A Task-Based Approach,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 28(1), pages 1-49, January.
- Gathmann, Christina & Schönberg, Uta, 2007. "How General Is Human Capital? A Task-Based Approach," IZA Discussion Papers 3067, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- McGuinness, Seamus & Sloane, Peter J., 2011.
"Labour market mismatch among UK graduates: An analysis using REFLEX data,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 130-145, February.
- Seamus McGuinness & Peter J. Sloane, 2009. "Labour Market Mismatch Among UK Graduates; An Analysis Using REFLEX Data," Papers WP294, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- McGuinness, Seamus & Sloane, Peter J., 2009. "Labour Market Mismatch Among UK Graduates: An Analysis Using REFLEX Data," IZA Discussion Papers 4168, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sara Flisi & Valentina Goglio & Elena Claudia Meroni & Margarida Rodrigues & Esperanza Vera-Toscano, 2017. "Measuring Occupational Mismatch: Overeducation and Overskill in Europe—Evidence from PIAAC," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 131(3), pages 1211-1249, April.
- A. Colin Cameron & Pravin K. Trivedi, 2010. "Microeconometrics Using Stata, Revised Edition," Stata Press books, StataCorp LP, number musr, April.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Autor, David, 2011.
"Skills, Tasks and Technologies: Implications for Employment and Earnings,"
Handbook of Labor Economics,
- Daron Acemoglu & David Autor, 2010. "Skills, Tasks and Technologies: Implications for Employment and Earnings," NBER Working Papers 16082, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Velden R.K.W. Van der & Smoorenburg M.S.M. van, 1997. "The Measurement of Overeducation and Undereducation: Self-Report vs. Job Analyst Method," ROA Research Memorandum 002, Maastricht University, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA).
- Shaw, Kathryn L, 1987. "The Quit Propensity of Married Men," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 5(4), pages 533-560, October.
- Dengler, Katharina & Stops, Michael & Vicari, Basha, 2016. "Occupation-specific matching efficiency," IAB Discussion Paper 201616, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Jacob A. Mincer, 1974. "Age and Experience Profiles of Earnings," NBER Chapters,in: Schooling, Experience, and Earnings, pages 64-82 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Boll, Christina & Leppin, Julian Sebastian, 2013. "Equal matches are only half the story: Why German female graduates earn 27 % less than males," HWWI Research Papers 138, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Glenda Quintini, 2011. "Right for the Job: Over-Qualified or Under-Skilled?," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 120, OECD Publishing.
- Francis Green & Steven McIntosh, 2007. "Is there a genuine under-utilization of skills amongst the over-qualified?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(4), pages 427-439.
- Dengler, Katharina & Matthes, Britta & Paulus, Wiebke, 2014. "Occupational Tasks in the German Labour Market : an alternative measurement on the basis of an expert database," FDZ Methodenreport 201412_en, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Arnaud Chevalier, 2003. "Measuring Over-education," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 70(279), pages 509-531, August.
- Kritkorn Nawakitphaitoon & Russell Ormiston, 2016.
"The estimation methods of occupational skills transferability
[Die Methoden zur Einschätzung der Übertragbarkeit beruflicher Kompetenzen]," Journal for Labour Market Research, Springer;Institute for Employment Research/ Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), vol. 49(4), pages 317-327, December.
More about this item
KeywordsÜberqualifikation; Einkommenseffekte; unterwertige Beschäftigung; Nationales Bildungspanel; mismatch; berufliche Qualifikation; Ausbildungsabschluss; Studienabschluss; Ausbildungsabsolventen; Hochschulabsolventen; Bildungsertrag;
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
- I26 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Returns to Education
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iab:iabdpa:201710. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IAB, Geschäftsbereich Dokumentation und Bibliothek). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/iabbbde.html .