Wage losses due to overqualification: The role of formal degrees and occupational skills
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Richard Desjardins & Kjell Rubenson, 2011. "An Analysis of Skill Mismatch Using Direct Measures of Skills," OECD Education Working Papers 63, OECD Publishing.
- Arnaud Chevalier & Joanne Lindley, 2009.
"Overeducation and the skills of UK graduates,"
Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A,
Royal Statistical Society, vol. 172(2), pages 307-337.
- Chevalier, Arnaud & Lindley, Joanne, 2006. "Over-Education and the Skills of UK Graduates," IZA Discussion Papers 2442, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Arnaud Chevalier & Joanne Lindley, 2007. "Over-Education and the Skills of UK Graduates," CEE Discussion Papers 0079, Centre for the Economics of Education, LSE.
- Chevalier, Arnaud & Lindley, Joanne, 2007. "Over-education and the skills of UK graduates," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19397, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Hartog, Joop, 2000. "Over-education and earnings: where are we, where should we go?," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 131-147, April.
- Kathryn L. Shaw, 1984. "A Formulation of the Earnings Function Using the Concept of Occupational Investment," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 19(3), pages 319-340.
- Gary S. Becker, 1962. "Investment in Human Capital: A Theoretical Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 70, pages 1-9.
- Brynin, Malcolm & Longhi, Simonetta, 2009. "Overqualification: Major or minor mismatch?," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 114-121, February.
- Allen, Jim & van der Velden, Rolf, 2001. "Educational Mismatches versus Skill Mismatches: Effects on Wages, Job Satisfaction, and On-the-Job Search," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(3), pages 434-452, July.
- Bauer, Thomas K., 2002. "Educational mismatch and wages: a panel analysis," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 221-229, June.
- Sattinger, Michael, 1993. "Assignment Models of the Distribution of Earnings," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(2), pages 831-880, June.
- Séamus McGuinness, 2006. "Overeducation in the Labour Market," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(3), pages 387-418, July.
- David H. Autor & Michael J. Handel, 2013.
"Putting Tasks to the Test: Human Capital, Job Tasks, and Wages,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 31(S1), pages 59-96.
- David H. Autor & Michael J. Handel, 2009. "Putting Tasks to the Test: Human Capital, Job Tasks and Wages," NBER Working Papers 15116, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dieter Verhaest & Eddy Omey, 2010.
"The determinants of overeducation: different measures, different outcomes?,"
International Journal of Manpower,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 31(6), pages 608-625, September.
- D. Verhaest & E. Omey, 2009. "The Determinants of Overeducation: Different Measures, Different Outcomes?," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 09/592, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Kostas Mavromaras & Seamus McGuinness & Mark Wooden, 2007. "Overskilling in the Australian Labour Market," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 40(3), pages 307-312, September.
- Christina Gathmann & Uta SchÃ¶nberg, 2010.
"How General Is Human Capital? A Task-Based Approach,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 28(1), pages 1-49, January.
- Gathmann, Christina & Schönberg, Uta, 2007. "How General Is Human Capital? A Task-Based Approach," IZA Discussion Papers 3067, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- McGuinness, Seamus & Sloane, Peter J., 2011.
"Labour market mismatch among UK graduates: An analysis using REFLEX data,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 130-145, February.
- Seamus McGuinness & Peter J. Sloane, 2009. "Labour Market Mismatch Among UK Graduates; An Analysis Using REFLEX Data," Papers WP294, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- McGuinness, Seamus & Sloane, Peter J., 2009. "Labour Market Mismatch Among UK Graduates: An Analysis Using REFLEX Data," IZA Discussion Papers 4168, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sara Flisi & Valentina Goglio & Elena Claudia Meroni & Margarida Rodrigues & Esperanza Vera-Toscano, 2017. "Measuring Occupational Mismatch: Overeducation and Overskill in Europe—Evidence from PIAAC," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 131(3), pages 1211-1249, April.
- A. Colin Cameron & Pravin K. Trivedi, 2010. "Microeconometrics Using Stata, Revised Edition," Stata Press books, StataCorp LP, number musr.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Autor, David, 2011.
"Skills, Tasks and Technologies: Implications for Employment and Earnings,"
Handbook of Labor Economics,
- Daron Acemoglu & David Autor, 2010. "Skills, Tasks and Technologies: Implications for Employment and Earnings," NBER Working Papers 16082, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Velden R.K.W. Van der & Smoorenburg M.S.M. van, 1997. "The Measurement of Overeducation and Undereducation: Self-Report vs. Job Analyst Method," ROA Research Memorandum 002, Maastricht University, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA).
- Shaw, Kathryn L, 1987. "The Quit Propensity of Married Men," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 5(4), pages 533-560, October.
- Dengler, Katharina & Stops, Michael & Vicari, Basha, 2016. "Occupation-specific matching efficiency," IAB Discussion Paper 201616, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Jacob A. Mincer, 1974. "Age and Experience Profiles of Earnings," NBER Chapters,in: Schooling, Experience, and Earnings, pages 64-82 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lars Wenzel & André Wolf, 2014.
"Changing Patterns of Electricity Usage in European Manufacturing: A Decomposition Analysis,"
International Journal of Energy Economics and Policy,
Econjournals, pages 516-530.
- Boll, Christina & Leppin, Julian Sebastian, 2013. "Equal matches are only half the story: Why German female graduates earn 27 % less than males," HWWI Research Papers 138, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Glenda Quintini, 2011. "Right for the Job: Over-Qualified or Under-Skilled?," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 120, OECD Publishing.
- Francis Green & Steven McIntosh, 2007. "Is there a genuine under-utilization of skills amongst the over-qualified?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(4), pages 427-439.
- Dengler, Katharina & Matthes, Britta & Paulus, Wiebke, 2014. "Occupational Tasks in the German Labour Market : an alternative measurement on the basis of an expert database," FDZ Methodenreport 201412_en, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Arnaud Chevalier, 2003. "Measuring Over-education," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 70(279), pages 509-531, August.
- Kritkorn Nawakitphaitoon & Russell Ormiston, 2016.
"The estimation methods of occupational skills transferability
[Die Methoden zur Einschätzung der Übertragbarkeit beruflicher Kompetenzen]," Journal for Labour Market Research, Springer;Institute for Employment Research/ Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), vol. 49(4), pages 317-327, December.
More about this item
KeywordsÜberqualifikation; Einkommenseffekte; unterwertige Beschäftigung; Nationales Bildungspanel; mismatch; berufliche Qualifikation; Ausbildungsabschluss; Studienabschluss; Ausbildungsabsolventen; Hochschulabsolventen; Bildungsertrag;
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
- I26 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Returns to Education
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iab:iabdpa:201710. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IAB, Geschäftsbereich Dokumentation und Bibliothek). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/iabbbde.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.