The Measurement of Overeducation and Undereducation: Self-Report vs. Job Analyst Method
This paper investigates the criterium validity of two different methods to determine the required educational level of an occupation. The selfreport method consists of asking employees directly what the required level of education for the job is. On the other hand, in the job-analyst method the determining of the required level of education for a particular job takes place by experts. Our analysis shows that, in essence, both methods measure the same concept (number of years of required education). However, they differ significantly with regard to the standard points, i.e. the points on the scale at which there is overeducation and undereducation. The analysis shows that the job-analyst method systematically overestimates the level of overeducation. There are no indications that the level of overeducation is underestimated in the self-report method.
|Date of creation:||1997|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht|
Web page: http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cohn, Elchanan & Khan, Shahina P., 1995. "The wage effects of overschooling revisited," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 67-76, March.
- Nachum Sicherman, 1987.
"Over-Education in the Labor Market,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
48, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Clifford Clogg & James Shockey, 1984. "Mismatch between occupation and schooling: A prevalence measure, recent trends and demographic analysis," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 21(2), pages 235-257, May.
- Barron, John M & Black, Dan A & Loewenstein, Mark A, 1989. "Job Matching and On-the-Job Training," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 7(1), pages 1-19, January.
- Groot, Wim, 1993. "Overeducation and the returns to enterprise-related schooling," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 299-309, December.
- Duncan, Greg J. & Hoffman, Saul D., 1981. "The incidence and wage effects of overeducation," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 75-86, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unm:umaror:1997002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Leonne Portz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.