Capacity decisions with demand fluctuations and carbon leakage
For carbon-intensive, internationally-traded industrial goods, a unilateral increase in the domestic CO2 price may result in the reduction of the domestic production but an increase of imports. In such sectors as electricity, cement or steel, the trade ows result more from short-term regional disequilibria between supply and demand than from international competition. This paper formalizes this empirical observation and characterizes its impact on leakage. Domestic fi rms invest in home plants under uncertainty; then, as uncertainty unfolds, they may source the home market from their home plants or from imports. We prove that there would be no leakage in the short-term (without capacity adaptation) but there would be in the long-term (with capacity adaption). Furthermore, the larger the uncertainty the larger the leakage is. We also characterize the impacts of uncertainty on the (short-term and long-term) pass-through rates. In the concluding section we discuss the implications of these results for the evaluation of climate policies.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00347650|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arrow, Kenneth J & Fisher, Anthony C, 1974. "Environmental Preservation, Uncertainty, and Irreversibility," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 88(2), pages 312-19, May.
- Golombek Rolf & Hoel Michael, 2004. "Unilateral Emission Reductions and Cross-Country Technology Spillovers," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 3(2), pages 1-27, September.
- Corrado Di Maria & Edwin van der Werf, 2006.
"Carbon Leakage Revisited: Unilateral Climate Policy with Directed Technical Change,"
2006.94, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Corrado Maria & Edwin Werf, 2008. "Carbon leakage revisited: unilateral climate policy with directed technical change," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 39(2), pages 55-74, February.
- Di Maria, C. & van der Werf, E.H., 2005. "Carbon Leakage Revisited : Unilateral Climate Policy with Directed Technical Change," Discussion Paper 2005-68, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Guy Meunier & Jean-Pierre Ponssard & Philippe Quirion, 2012.
"Carbon Leakage and Capacity-Based Allocations. Is the EU right?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
4029, CESifo Group Munich.
- Meunier, Guy & Ponssard, Jean-Pierre & Quirion, Philippe, 2014. "Carbon leakage and capacity-based allocations: Is the EU right?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 262-279.
- Guy Meunier & Jean-Pierre Ponssard & Philippe Quirion, 2012. "Carbon Leakage and Capacity-Based Allocations. Is the EU right?," CIRED Working Papers hal-00672907, HAL.
- James Brander, 1980.
"Intra-Industry Trade in Identical Commodities,"
380, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & PODDAR , Sougata, 1995.
"Demand Fluctuations and Capacity Utilization under Duopoly,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1995051, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jean J. Gabszewicz & Sougata Poddar, 1997. "Demand fluctuations and capacity utilization under duopoly," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 131-146.
- Gabszewicz, J.J. & Poddar, S., . "Demand fluctuations and capacity utilization under duopoly," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1269, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Roland Ismer & Karsten Neuhoff, 2007. "Border tax adjustment: a feasible way to support stringent emission trading," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 137-164, October.
- Felder Stefan & Rutherford Thomas F., 1993. "Unilateral CO2 Reductions and Carbon Leakage: The Consequences of International Trade in Oil and Basic Materials," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 162-176, September.
- Boyer, M. & Moreaux, A., 1989.
"Uncertainty, Capacity and Flexibility: the Monopoly Case,"
Cahiers de recherche
8911, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Marcel BOYER & Michel MOREAUX, 1989. "Uncertainty, Capacity and Flexibility: the Monopoly Case," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 15-16, pages 291-313.
- Boyer, M. & Moreaux, A., 1989. "Uncertainty, Capacity And Flexibility: The Monopoly Case," Cahiers de recherche 8911, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Carraro, Carlo & Siniscalco, Domenico, 1993.
"Strategies for the international protection of the environment,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 309-328, October.
- Carraro, Carlo & Siniscalco, Domenico, 1991. "Strategies for the International Protection of the Environment," CEPR Discussion Papers 568, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bushnell, James & Chen, Yihsu, 2012. "Allocation and leakage in regional cap-and-trade markets for CO2," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 647-668.
- De Perthuis, Christian & Convery, Frank J. & Ellerman, Denny, 2010. "Pricing carbon : the European Union Emissions Trading Scheme," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/10174, Paris Dauphine University.
- Meredith Fowlie & Mar Reguant & Stephen P. Ryan, 2012. "Market-Based Emissions Regulation and Industry Dynamics," NBER Working Papers 18645, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Demers, Michel, 1991. "Investment under Uncertainty, Irreversibility and the Arrival of Information over Time," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 333-50, April.
- Guy MEUNIER & Jean-Pierre Ponssard, 2012.
"A sectoral approach balancing global efficiency and equity,"
174773, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Guy Meunier & Jean-Pierre Ponssard, 2012. "A Sectoral Approach Balancing Global Efficiency and Equity," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 53(4), pages 533-552, December.
- Babiker, Mustafa H., 2005. "Climate change policy, market structure, and carbon leakage," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 421-445, March.
- Henry, Claude, 1974. "Investment Decisions Under Uncertainty: The "Irreversibility Effect."," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(6), pages 1006-12, December.
- Grubb, M. & Neuhoff, K., 2006.
"Allocation and competitiveness in the EU emissions trading scheme: policy overview,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0645, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Michael Grubb & Karsten Neuhoff, 2006. "Allocation and competitiveness in the EU emissions trading scheme: policy overview," Climate Policy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 7-30, January.
- Krugman, Paul, 1980. "Scale Economies, Product Differentiation, and the Pattern of Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 950-59, December.
- Robert A. Jones & Joseph M. Ostroy, 1979.
"Flexibilty and Uncertainty,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
163, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Stephen Ryan, 2006.
"The Costs of Environmental Regulation in a Concentrated Industry,"
2006 Meeting Papers
9, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Stephen P. Ryan, 2012. "The Costs of Environmental Regulation in a Concentrated Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 80(3), pages 1019-1061, 05.
- Stephen Ryan, 2005. "The Costs of Environmental Regulation in a Concentrated Industry," Working Papers 0510, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Edward J. Balistreri & Thomas F. Rutherford, 2012.
"Subglobal Carbon Policy and the Competitive Selection of Heterogeneous Firms,"
2012-01, Colorado School of Mines, Division of Economics and Business.
- Balistreri, Edward J. & Rutherford, Thomas F., 2012. "Subglobal carbon policy and the competitive selection of heterogeneous firms," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(S2), pages S190-S197.
- Christina Hood, 2010. "Reviewing Existing and Proposed Emissions Trading Systems," IEA Energy Papers 2010/13, OECD Publishing.
- Barrett, Scott, 1994. "Self-Enforcing International Environmental Agreements," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(0), pages 878-94, Supplemen.
- Krugman, Paul R., 1979. "Increasing returns, monopolistic competition, and international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 469-479, November.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "Increasing risk: I. A definition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-243, September.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1971. "Increasing risk II: Its economic consequences," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 66-84, March.
- Fischer, Carolyn & Fox, Alan K., 2012. "Comparing policies to combat emissions leakage: Border carbon adjustments versus rebates," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 199-216.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:hal-00347650. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.