Flexibilty and Uncertainty
The preserving of flexibility when faced with uncertainty is a neglected aspect of behaviour under risk. Yet it is an important factor in decisions to hold liquid assets or delay irreversible investment. This paper formalizes the notion of flexibility in a sequential decision context, and relates its value to the amount of information an agent expects to receive. A rudimentary money demand model is developed embodying these ideas, and the history of flexibility as an economic concept is traced.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George Stigler, 1939. "Production and Distribution in the Short Run," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47, pages 305-305.
- Grossman, Herschel I, 1969. "Expectations, Transactions Costs, and Asset Demands," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 24(3), pages 491-506, June.
- Cummings, Ronald G & Norton, Virgil, 1974. "The Economics of Environmental Preservation: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(6), pages 1021-1024, December.
- James Tobin, 1956.
"Liquidity Preference as Behavior Towards Risk,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
14, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Smith, Kenneth R., 1969. "The effect of uncertainty on monopoly price, capital stock and utilization of capital," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 48-59, June.
- Fisher, Anthony C & Krutilla, John V & Cicchetti, Charles J, 1972. "The Economics of Environmental Preservation: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(4), pages 605-619, September.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "Increasing risk: I. A definition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-243, September.
- Cropper, M L, 1976. "A State-Preference Approach to the Precautionary Demand for Money," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(3), pages 388-394, June.
- Abrassart, A Eugene & McFarlane, Dale D, 1974. "The Economics of Environmental Preservation: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(6), pages 1025-1029, December.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1977. "The Influence of Uncertainty on Investment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 87(345), pages 47-70, March.
- Goldman, Steven Marc, 1974. "Flexibility and the demand for money," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 203-222, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cla:uclawp:163. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tim Kwok)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.