Insurance, Flexibility and Non-contingent Trades
This paper considers non-contingent trades through either forward markets or simple contracts. The point of the inquiry is to understand the costs and benefits of trades of this nature. We focus on the tradeoff between insurance (a benefit) and the loss of flexibility in decisions (a cost) as determining properties of trading in forward markets. This tradeoff is also used to explore contract length.
|Date of creation:||Feb 1984|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA|
Phone: (203) 432-3702
Fax: (203) 432-6167
Web page: http://cowles.yale.edu/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Cowles Foundation, Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M. L. Weitzman, 1973.
"Prices vs. Quantities,"
106, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- K. J. Arrow, 1964. "The Role of Securities in the Optimal Allocation of Risk-bearing," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 31(2), pages 91-96.
- Russell Cooper & Beth Hayes, 1983. "Multiperiod Insurance Contracts," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 673R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised 1984.
- Radner, Roy, 1981. "Monitoring Cooperative Agreements in a Repeated Principal-Agent Relationship," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(5), pages 1127-1148, September.
- Batra, Raveendra N & Russell, William R, 1974. "Gains from Trade Under Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(6), pages 1040-1048, December.
- Grossman, Sanford J., 1977. "A characterization of the optimality of equilibrium in incomplete markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 1-15, June.
- Dionne, G., 1981. "Adverse Selection and Repeated Insurance Contracts," Cahiers de recherche 8139, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Jonathan Eaton, 1980. "Price Variability, Utility and Savings," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(3), pages 513-520.
- Arrow, Kenneth J, 1974. "Limited Knowledge and Economic Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(1), pages 1-10, March.
- DREZE, Jacques H. & MODIGLIANI, Franco, "undated".
"Cosumption decisions under uncertainty,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
119, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Costas Azariadis & Russell Cooper, 1983. "Predetermined Prices and the Allocation of Social Risks," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 660, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Goldman, Steven Marc, 1974. "Flexibility and the demand for money," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 203-222, October.
- Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1982. "The Inefficiency of the Stock Market Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(2), pages 241-261.
- Yohe, Gary Wynn, 1977. "Comparisons of price and quantity controls: A survey," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 213-233, September.
- Harris Milton & Townsend, Robert M, 1981. "Resource Allocation under Asymmetric Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(1), pages 33-64, January.
- Ross, Stephen A, 1981. "Some Stronger Measures of Risk Aversion in the Small and the Large with Applications," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(3), pages 621-638, May.
- Eaton, Jonathan, 1979. "The Allocation of Resources in an Open Economy with Uncertain Terms of Trade," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 20(2), pages 391-403, June.
- Stephen J. Turnovsky, 1974. "Technological and Price Uncertainty in a Ricardian Model of International Trade," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 41(2), pages 201-217.
- Hart, Oliver D., 1975. "On the optimality of equilibrium when the market structure is incomplete," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 418-443, December.
- Townsend, Robert M, 1978. "On the Optimality of Forward Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(1), pages 54-66, March.
- Baron, David P, 1970. "Price Uncertainty, Utility, and Industry Equilibrium in Pure Competition," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 11(3), pages 463-480, October.
- Gray, Jo Anna, 1978. "On Indexation and Contract Length," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(1), pages 1-18, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cwl:cwldpp:691. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Matthew C. Regan)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.