Competitive manufacturing with fluctuating demand and diverse technology: Mathematical proofs and illuminations on industry output-flexibility
I present an original model of competitive manufacturing with fluctuating demand and diverse technology with mathematical proofs. I discuss Aranoff's output-flexibility indicator, E(AC)-LRMC. I use the model to compute Aranoff's output-flexibility indicator to measure industry output-flexibility. I argue that a measure of industry output-flexibility is [beta]L(Q2 - Q1)/E(Q) I tie the demand-side discussion with the cost-side and show the degree of industry output-flexibility that will emerge under welfare and profit-maximizing pricing rules. I perform comparative statics of changes in technology, of demand, and of frequency of the high-peak state.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Massell, Benton F, 1969. "Price Stabilization and Welfare," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 83(2), pages 284-98, May.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J, 1973. "Production Flexibility, Price Uncertainty and the Behavior of the Competitive Firm," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(2), pages 395-413, June.
- Samuelson, Paul A, 1972. "The Consumer Does Benefit From Feasible Price Stability," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 86(3), pages 476-93, August.
- Aranoff, Gerald, 1989. "Output-Flexibility and Diverse Technology," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 36(2), pages 141-59, May.
- M. L. Weitzman, 1973.
"Prices vs. Quantities,"
106, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Hiebert, L Dean, 1989. "Cost Flexibility and Price Dispersion," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(1), pages 103-09, September.
- Samuelson, Paul A, 1972. "The Consumer Does Benefit From Feasible Price Stability: Rejoinder," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 86(3), pages 500-503, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecmode:v:28:y:2011:i:3:p:1441-1450. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.