Competitive manufacturing with fluctuating demand and diverse technology: Mathematical proofs and illuminations on industry output-flexibility
I present an original model of competitive manufacturing with fluctuating demand and diverse technology with mathematical proofs. I discuss Aranoff's output-flexibility indicator, E(AC)-LRMC. I use the model to compute Aranoff's output-flexibility indicator to measure industry output-flexibility. I argue that a measure of industry output-flexibility is [beta]L(Q2 - Q1)/E(Q) I tie the demand-side discussion with the cost-side and show the degree of industry output-flexibility that will emerge under welfare and profit-maximizing pricing rules. I perform comparative statics of changes in technology, of demand, and of frequency of the high-peak state.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Turnovsky, Stephen J, 1973. "Production Flexibility, Price Uncertainty and the Behavior of the Competitive Firm," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(2), pages 395-413, June.
- M. L. Weitzman, 1973.
"Prices vs. Quantities,"
106, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Aranoff, Gerald, 1989. "Output-Flexibility and Diverse Technology," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 36(2), pages 141-59, May.
- Massell, Benton F, 1969. "Price Stabilization and Welfare," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 83(2), pages 284-98, May.
- Samuelson, Paul A, 1972. "The Consumer Does Benefit From Feasible Price Stability," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 86(3), pages 476-93, August.
- Hiebert, L Dean, 1989. "Cost Flexibility and Price Dispersion," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(1), pages 103-09, September.
- Samuelson, Paul A, 1972. "The Consumer Does Benefit From Feasible Price Stability: Rejoinder," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 86(3), pages 500-503, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecmode:v:28:y:2011:i:3:p:1441-1450. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.