Using elicitation mechanisms to estimate the demand for nutritious maize: Evidence from experiments in rural Ghana
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Banerji, Abhijit & Chowdhury, Shyamal & Groote, Hugo & Meenakshi, J.V. & Haleegoah, Joyce & Ewool, Manfred, 2015. "Using Elicitation Mechanisms to Estimate the Demand for Nutritious Maize: Evidence from Experiments in Rural Ghana," 2015 Conference, August 9-14, 2015, Milan, Italy 211349, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
References listed on IDEAS
- Hugo De Groote & Simon Chege Kimenju & Ulrich B. Morawetz, 2011. "Estimating consumer willingness to pay for food quality with experimental auctions: the case of yellow versus fortified maize meal in Kenya," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 42(1), pages 1-16, January.
- Noussair, Charles & Robin, Stephane & Ruffieux, Bernard, 2004. "Revealing consumers' willingness-to-pay: A comparison of the BDM mechanism and the Vickrey auction," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 725-741, December.
- Shogren, Jason F. & Margolis, Michael & Koo, Cannon & List, John A., 2001. "A random nth-price auction," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, pages 409-421.
- Lawrence Rubey & Frank Lupi, 1997. "Predicting the Effects of Market Reform in Zimbabwe: A Stated Preference Approach," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(1), pages 89-99.
- Jayson L. Lusk & Matthew Rousu, 2006. "Market Price Endogeneity and Accuracy of Value Elicitation Mechanisms," Chapters,in: Using Experimental Methods in Environmental and Resource Economics, chapter 2 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Glenn W. Harrison & John A. List, 2004. "Field Experiments," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, pages 1009-1055.
- Azucena Gracia & Maria L. Loureiro & Rodolfo M. Nayga, 2011. "Are Valuations from Nonhypothetical Choice Experiments Different from Those of Experimental Auctions?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 93(5), pages 1358-1373.
- Cherry, Todd L. & Kroll, Stephan & Shogren, Jason F., 2005.
"The impact of endowment heterogeneity and origin on public good contributions: evidence from the lab,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 357-365, July.
- Todd L. Cherry & Stephan Kroll & Jason F. Shogren, 2003. "The Impact of Endowment Heterogeneity and Origin on Public Good Contributions: Evidence from the Lab," Working Papers 03-05, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
- Glenn W. Harrison & Morten I. Lau & E. Elisabet Rutström, 2007.
"Estimating Risk Attitudes in Denmark: A Field Experiment,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, pages 341-368.
- Glenn Harrison & Morten Lau & Elisabet Rutstrom, 2004. "Estimating risk attitudes in denmark: A field experiment," Artefactual Field Experiments 00059, The Field Experiments Website.
- Vuong, Quang H, 1989. "Likelihood Ratio Tests for Model Selection and Non-nested Hypotheses," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 307-333, March.
- Jeremy Clark, 2002. "House Money Effects in Public Good Experiments," Experimental Economics, Springer;Economic Science Association, vol. 5(3), pages 223-231, December.
- Louviere,Jordan J. & Hensher,David A. & Swait,Joffre D. With contributions by-Name:Adamowicz,Wiktor, 2000. "Stated Choice Methods," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521788304, March.
- Danny Campbell & W. George Hutchinson & Riccardo Scarpa, 2006.
"Lexicographic Preferences in Discrete Choice Experiments: Consequences on Individual-Specific Willingness to Pay Estimates,"
2006.128, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Danny Campbell & George Hutchinson & Riccardo Scarpa, 2006. "Lexicographic preferences for rural environmental landscape improvements: implications on individual-specific willingness to pay estimates," Working Papers 0610, Rural Economy and Development Programme,Teagasc.
- Richard H. Thaler & Eric J. Johnson, 1990. "Gambling with the House Money and Trying to Break Even: The Effects of Prior Outcomes on Risky Choice," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(6), pages 643-660, June.
- Kagel, John H & Harstad, Ronald M & Levin, Dan, 1987. "Information Impact and Allocation Rules in Auctions with Affiliated Private Values: A Laboratory Study," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(6), pages 1275-1304, November.
- Chowdhury, Shyamal & Meenakshi, J. V. & Tomlins, Keith & Owori, Constance, 2009. "Are consumers willing to pay more for biofortified foods?: Evidence from a field experiment in Uganda," HarvestPlus Working Papers 3, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Train,Kenneth E., 2009. "Discrete Choice Methods with Simulation," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521747387, March.
- Rutstrom, E. Elisabet & Williams, Melonie B., 2000. "Entitlements and fairness:: an experimental study of distributive preferences," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 75-89, September.
- Ty Feldkamp & Ted C. Schroeder, 2004.
"Experimental Auction Procedure: Impact on Valuation of Quality Differentiated Goods,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(2), pages 389-405.
- Ty Feldkamp & Jayson Lusk & Ted Schroeder, 2004. "Experimental auction procedure: Impact on valuation of quality differentiated goods," Artefactual Field Experiments 00097, The Field Experiments Website.
- Lange, Andreas & Ratan, Anmol, 2010. "Multi-dimensional reference-dependent preferences in sealed-bid auctions - How (most) laboratory experiments differ from the field," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 634-645, March.
- Tschirley, David L. & Santos, Ana Paula, 1995. "Who Eats Yellow Maize? Preliminary Results of a Survey of Consumer Maize Preferences in Maputo, Mozambique," Food Security International Development Working Papers 54697, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Lusk Jayson L & Schroeder Ted C., 2006. "Auction Bids and Shopping Choices," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 6(1), pages 1-39, August.
- Charles R. Plott & Kathryn Zeiler, 2007. "Exchange Asymmetries Incorrectly Interpreted as Evidence of Endowment Effect Theory and Prospect Theory?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(4), pages 1449-1466, September.
- David Hensher & John Rose & William Greene, 2005. "The implications on willingness to pay of respondents ignoring specific attributes," Transportation, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 203-222, May.
- Tschirley, David & Donovan, Cynthia & Weber, Michael T., 1996. "Food aid and food markets: lessons from Mozambique," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 189-209, May.
- Steven D. Levitt & John A. List, 2007.
"What Do Laboratory Experiments Measuring Social Preferences Reveal About the Real World?,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 21(2), pages 153-174, Spring.
- Steven Levitt & John List, 2007. "What do Laboratory Experiments Measuring Social Preferences Reveal About the Real World," Artefactual Field Experiments 00480, The Field Experiments Website.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Murekezi, Abdoul & Oparinde, Adewale & Birol, Ekin, 2017. "Consumer market segments for biofortified iron beans in Rwanda: Evidence from a hedonic testing study," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 66(C), pages 35-49.
- Banerji, Abhijit & Birol, Ekin & Karandikar, Bhushana & Rampal, Jeevant, 2015. "Information, Branding, Certification, and Consumer Willingness to Pay for High-Iron Pearl Millet: Experimental Evidence from Maharashtra, India," 2015 Conference, August 9-14, 2015, Milan, Italy 211346, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Hugo Groote & Clare Narrod & Simon C. Kimenju & Charles Bett & Rosemarie P. B. Scott & Marites M. Tiongco & Zachary M. Gitonga, 2016. "Measuring rural consumers’ willingness to pay for quality labels using experimental auctions: the case of aflatoxin-free maize in Kenya," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 47(1), pages 33-45, January.
- Nazli, Hina & Birol, Ekin & Asare-Marfo, Dorene & Tariq, Asjad, 2015. "Wheat Farmers' Preferences for Wheat Traits in Punjab, Pakistan: A Choice Experiment Approach," 2015 Conference, August 9-14, 2015, Milan, Italy 211352, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Banerji, Abhijit & Birol, Ekin & Karandikar, Bhushana & Rampal, Jeevant, 2016. "Information, branding, certification, and consumer willingness to pay for high-iron pearl millet: Evidence from experimental auctions in Maharashtra, India," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 62(C), pages 133-141.
More about this item
KeywordsGhana; West Africa; Africa south of Sahara; Africa; Biofortification; maize; Provitamin A; Vitamin A; demand;
- C35 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
- C93 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Design of Experiments - - - Field Experiments
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search; Learning; Information and Knowledge; Communication; Belief; Unawareness
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2013-08-10 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2013-08-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-DCM-2013-08-10 (Discrete Choice Models)
- NEP-EXP-2013-08-10 (Experimental Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fpr:harvwp:10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/ifprius.html .