Boosting Manufacturing Productivity Through R&D: International Comparisons with Special Focus on Italy
Using data for twelve manufacturing industries of five developed countries over the period 1980-2002, we perform a dynamic panel estimation - based on a ECM model - of the long-run elasticity of TFP with respect to the stock of R&D capital. The highest elasticity is found for the US (0.51) while lower values arise for Germany (0.29), France (0.23) and Spain (0.22); the latter, in turn, are higher than that estimated for Italy (0.14). The unsatisfactory performance of Italian manufacturing industries is confirmed by further analyses in which a better measurement of TFP is provided and the time period extended. The above findings and their policy implications are discussed firstly in the light of the US-EU divide in terms of R&D-induced productivity growth and, subsequently, by focussing on the Italian case.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 071 220 7100
Fax: +39 071 220 7102
Web page: http://www.dises.univpm.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gavin Cameron, 2000.
"The Sun Also Rises: Productivity Convergence Between Japan and the USA,"
Economics Series Working Papers
45, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Gavin Cameron, 2005. "The Sun Also Rises: Productivity Convergence Between Japan and the USA," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 10(4), pages 387-408, December.
- Benfratello, Luigi & Schiantarelli, Fabio & Sembenelli, Alessandro, 2008.
"Banks and innovation: Microeconometric evidence on Italian firms,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 197-217, November.
- Benfratello, Luigi & Schiantarelli, Fabio & Sembenelli, Alessandro, 2006. "Banks and Innovation: Microeconometric Evidence on Italian Firms," IZA Discussion Papers 2032, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Luigi Benfratello & Fabio Schiantarelli & Alessandro Sembenelli, 2005. "Banks and Innovation: Microeconometric Evidence on Italian Firms," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 631, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 13 Jun 2007.
- Andrea Bassanini & Stefano Scarpetta, 2002. "Growth, Technological Change, and ICT Diffusion: Recent Evidence from OECD Countries," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(3), pages 324-344.
- F. Daveri & C. Jona-Lasinio, 2006.
"Italy’s decline: getting the facts right,"
Economics Department Working Papers
2006-EP01, Department of Economics, Parma University (Italy).
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2007.
"A simple panel unit root test in the presence of cross-section dependence,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(2), pages 265-312.
- Pesaran, M.H., 2003. "A Simple Panel Unit Root Test in the Presence of Cross Section Dependence," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0346, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- André Sapir & Philippe Aghion & Giuseppe Bertola & Martin Hellwig & Jean Pisani-Ferry & Bernard Lange & José Viñals & Helen Wallace & Marco Buti & Mario Nava & Peter Smith, 2004.
"An agenda for a growing Europe: the Sapir report,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/8070, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Alessandro Sterlacchini & Francesco Venturini, 2014. "R&D and Productivity in High-Tech Manufacturing: A Comparison between Italy and Spain," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(5), pages 359-379, July.
- Marco Maffezzoli, 2004.
"Convergence Across Italian Regions and the Role of Technological Catch-Up,"
274, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Maffezzoli Marco, 2006. "Convergence Across Italian Regions and the Role of Technological Catch-Up," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 6(1), pages 1-43, August.
- Joakim Westerlund & David L. Edgerton, 2008. "A Simple Test for Cointegration in Dependent Panels with Structural Breaks," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 70(5), pages 665-704, October.
- Massimo Del Gatto & Adriana Di Liberto & Carmelo Petraglia, 2011.
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(5), pages 952-1008, December.
- Ark, Bart van, 2002. "ICT investments and growth accounts for the European Union," GGDC Research Memorandum 200256, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
- Brandt, Nicola, 2007. "Mark-ups, economies of scale and the role of knowledge spillovers in OECD industries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(7), pages 1708-1732, October.
- Antonio Bassanetti & Massimiliano Iommi & Cecilia Jona-Lasinio & Francesco Zollino, 2004. "La crescita dell'economia italiana negli anni novanta tra ritardo tecnologico e rallentamento della produttivitï¿½," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 539, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Jacques Mairesse, 1992.
"Exploring the Relationship Between R&D and Productivity in French Manufacturing Firms,"
NBER Working Papers
3956, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Bronwyn H. & Mairesse, Jacques, 1995. "Exploring the relationship between R&D and productivity in French manufacturing firms," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 263-293, January.
- Pietro Alessandrini & Andrea Filippo Presbitero & Alberto Zazzaro, 2008.
"Bank Size or Distance: What Hampers Innovation Adoption by SMEs?,"
Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers
2, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Pietro Alessandrini & Andrea F. Presbitero & Alberto Zazzaro, 2010. "Bank size or distance: what hampers innovation adoption by SMEs?," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(6), pages 845-881, November.
- Pietro ALESSANDRINI & Andrea PRESBITERO & Alberto ZAZZARO, 2007. "Bank Size or Distance: What Hampers Innovation Adoption by SMEs ?," Working Papers 304, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- C. Antonelli & R. Marchionatti & S. Usai, 2000. "Productivity and External Knowledge: The Italian Case," Working Paper CRENoS 200009, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Andrews, Donald W K & Monahan, J Christopher, 1992.
"An Improved Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator,"
Econometric Society, vol. 60(4), pages 953-66, July.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Christopher J. Monahan, 1990. "An Improved Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 942, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Nelson C. Mark & Donggyu Sul, 2003.
"Cointegration Vector Estimation by Panel DOLS and Long-run Money Demand,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 65(5), pages 655-680, December.
- Nelson C. Mark & Donggyu Sul, 2002. "Cointegration Vector Estimation by Panel DOLS and Long-Run Money Demand," NBER Technical Working Papers 0287, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Mark-Sul(2003) panel DOLS," Statistical Software Components RTZ00112, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Marios Zachariadis, .
"R&D-Induced Growth in the OECD?,"
Departmental Working Papers
2001-02, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
- Paul Romer, 1989.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
NBER Working Papers
3210, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert Wieser, 2005. "Research And Development Productivity And Spillovers: Empirical Evidence At The Firm Level," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(4), pages 587-621, 09.
- Sterlacchini, Alessandro & Venturini, Francesco, 2011. "R&D and productivity in high-tech manufacturing: a comparison between Italy and Spain," MPRA Paper 30048, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andrea Brandolini & Piero Cipollone, 2001. "Multifactor Productivity and Labour Quality in Italy, 1981-2000," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 422, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:anc:wpaper:306. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maurizio Mariotti)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.