The decline in Italian productivity: a study in estimation of long-Run trends in Total Factor Productivity with panel cointegration methods
The aim of this paper is (i) to propose a method for obtaining estimates of long-run total factor productivity (TFP) trends free from the restrictive assumptions needed by traditional growth accounting, requiring only data on inputs and output flows, and able to deliver estimates of long-run TFP trends; (ii) to apply it to the Italian manufacturing industries over the period 1980-2001, so to shed some light on the severe productivity slowdown of the last decade. The approach proposed relies on recent developments in the analysis of non-stationary, cross-correlated panels. The empirical application, consistently with growth accounting, supports the view that the decline in Italian labour productivity has been mostly due to a widespread fall in TFP growth. A simple regression points as main causes to the completion of a factor reallocation process among industries and inadequate R&D investment.
|Date of creation:||07 May 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edward J. Balistreri & Christine A. McDaniel & Eina Vivian Wong, 2003. "An Estimation of U.S. Industry-Level Capital-Labor Substitution," Computational Economics 0303001, EconWPA.
- Duffy, John & Papageorgiou, Chris, 2000. "A Cross-Country Empirical Investigation of the Aggregate Production Function Specification," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 87-120, March.
- Simon Broadbent, 1997. "Trade with China: Do the Figures Add up?," NIESR Discussion Papers 118, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Giancarlo Bruno & Edoardo Otranto, 2003.
"Dating the Italian Business Cycle: A Comparison of Procedures,"
- Bruno Giancarlo & Edoardo Otranto, 2004. "Dating the Italian BUsiness Cycle: A Comparison of Procedures," ISAE Working Papers 41, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Kevin J. Stiroh, 2002.
"Information Technology and the U.S. Productivity Revival: What Do the Industry Data Say?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1559-1576, December.
- Kevin J. Stiroh, 2001. "Information technology and the U.S. productivity revival: what do the industry data say?," Staff Reports 115, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Francesco Daveri & Cecilia Jona-Lasinio, 2005.
"Italy's Decline: Getting the Facts Right,"
Giornale degli Economisti,
GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 64(4), pages 365-410, December.
- Francesco Daveri & Cecilia Jona-Lasinio, 2005. "Italy’s Decline: Getting the Facts Right," Working Papers 301, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- F. Daveri & C. Jona-Lasinio, 2006. "Italy’s decline: getting the facts right," Economics Department Working Papers 2006-EP01, Department of Economics, Parma University (Italy).
- Stefano Fachin, 2007.
"Long-run trends in internal migrations in italy: a study in panel cointegration with dependent units,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(2), pages 401-428.
- Stefano Fachin, 2005. "Long-Run Trends in Internal Migrations in Italy: a Study in Panel Cointegration with Dependent Units," Econometrics 0507002, EconWPA.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995.
"Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Balistreri, Edward J. & McDaniel, Christine A. & Wong, Eina Vivian, 2003. "An estimation of US industry-level capital-labor substitution elasticities: support for Cobb-Douglas," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 343-356, December.
- Andrea Brandolini & Piero Cipollone, 2001. "Multifactor Productivity and Labour Quality in Italy, 1981-2000," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 422, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- James Harrigan, 1998.
"Estimation of cross-country differences in industry production functions,"
36, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Harrigan, James, 1999. "Estimation of cross-country differences in industry production functions," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 267-293, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:3112. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.