Particle Markov Chain Monte Carlo Techniques of Unobserved Component Time Series Models Using Ox
This paper details Particle Markov chain Monte Carlo techniques for analysis of unobserved component time series models using several economic data sets. PMCMC combines the particle filter with the Metropolis-Hastings algorithm. Overall PMCMC provides a very compelling, computationally fast and efficient framework for estimation. These advantages are used to for instance estimate stochastic volatility models with leverage effect or with Student-t distributed errors. We also model changing time series characteristics of the US inflation rate by considering a heteroskedastic ARFIMA model where the heteroskedasticity is specified by means of a Gaussian stochastic volatility process.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sangjoon Kim, Neil Shephard & Siddhartha Chib, .
"Stochastic volatility: likelihood inference and comparison with ARCH models,"
W26, revised version of W, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Kim, Sangjoon & Shephard, Neil & Chib, Siddhartha, 1998. "Stochastic Volatility: Likelihood Inference and Comparison with ARCH Models," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(3), pages 361-93, July.
- Sangjoon Kim & Neil Shephard & Siddhartha Chib, 1996. "Stochastic Volatility: Likelihood Inference And Comparison With Arch Models," Econometrics 9610002, EconWPA.
- Sangjoon Kim & Neil Shephard, 1994. "Stochastic volatility: likelihood inference and comparison with ARCH models," Economics Papers 3., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Thomas Flury & Neil Shephard, 2008.
"Bayesian inference based only on simulated likelihood: particle filter analysis of dynamic economic models,"
OFRC Working Papers Series
2008fe32, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Flury, Thomas & Shephard, Neil, 2011. "Bayesian Inference Based Only On Simulated Likelihood: Particle Filter Analysis Of Dynamic Economic Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(05), pages 933-956, October.
- Neil Shephard & Thomas Flury, 2008. "Bayesian inference based only on simulated likelihood: particle filter analysis of dynamic economic models," Economics Series Working Papers 413, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Charles S. Bos, . "A Bayesian Analysis of Unobserved Component Models Using Ox," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 41(i13).
- Charles S. Bos, 2011. "A Bayesian Analysis of Unobserved Component Models using Ox," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 11-048/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Christophe Andrieu & Arnaud Doucet & Roman Holenstein, 2010. "Particle Markov chain Monte Carlo methods," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 72(3), pages 269-342.
- Durbin, James & Koopman, Siem Jan, 2001.
"Time Series Analysis by State Space Methods,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198523543, March.
- Tom Doan, . "SEASONALDLM: RATS procedure to create the matrices for the seasonal component of a DLM," Statistical Software Components RTS00251, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Chang-Jin Kim & Charles R. Nelson, 1999. "State-Space Models with Regime Switching: Classical and Gibbs-Sampling Approaches with Applications," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262112388, June.
- Grassi Stefano & Proietti Tommaso, 2010.
"Has the Volatility of U.S. Inflation Changed and How?,"
Journal of Time Series Econometrics,
De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-22, September.
- Grassi, Stefano & Proietti, Tommaso, 2008. "Has the Volatility of U.S. Inflation Changed and How?," MPRA Paper 11453, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chib, Siddhartha & Nardari, Federico & Shephard, Neil, 2002. "Markov chain Monte Carlo methods for stochastic volatility models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 281-316, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aah:create:2013-27. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.