Human Costs of Post-communist Transition: Public Policies and Private Response
The transition to capitalism in former communist countries of Eastern Europe and the USSR was achieved at a very high human cost, leading to unprecedented increases in poverty, inequality, and other forms of deprivation. This paper surveys the literature and data on human costs of post-communist transition and discusses differences in responses to poverty among countries of the region. It argues that human costs of transition to the market were strongly influenced by policy choices made by the governments and were least severe in countries of central eastern Europe, where public response dominated the anti-poverty efforts. In most of the countries of the former USSR and south-eastern Europe, state-run poverty abatement programs were largely inadequate, putting the brunt of the struggle with poverty onto the shoulders of families and individuals.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 68 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RRSE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RRSE20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Belot, M.V.K. & van Ours, J.C., 2000.
"Does the Recent Success of some OECD Countries in Lowering their Unemployment Rates lie in the Clever Design of their Labour Market Reforms?,"
2000-40, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Michèle Belot & Jan C. van Ours, 2004. "Does the recent success of some OECD countries in lowering their unemployment rates lie in the clever design of their labor market reforms?," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 56(4), pages 621-642, October.
- Belot, Michèle & van Ours, Jan C, 2000. "Does the Recent Success of some OECD Countries in Lowering their Unemployment Rates lie in the Clever Design of their Labour Market Reforms?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2492, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Belot, Michèle & van Ours, Jan C., 2000. "Does the Recent Success of Some OECD Countries in Lowering their Unemployment Rates Lie in the Clever Design of their Labour Market Reform?," IZA Discussion Papers 147, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Carone, Giuseppe & Stovicek, Klara & Pierini, Fabiana & Sail, Etienne, 2009. "Recent reforms of the tax and benefit systems in the framework of flexicurity," MPRA Paper 24862, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Flaig Gebhard & Rottmann Horst, 2009.
"Labour Market Institutions and the Employment Intensity of Output Growth,"
Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik),
De Gruyter, vol. 229(1), pages 22-35, February.
- Flaig, Gebhard & Rottmann, Horst, 2009. "Labour Market Institutions and the Employment Intensity of Output Growth," Munich Reprints in Economics 20370, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Alberto Alesina & Roberto Perotti, 1994.
"The Welfare State and Competitiveness,"
NBER Working Papers
4810, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- European Commission, 2013. "Taxation trends in the European Union: 2013 edition," Taxation trends 2013, Directorate General Taxation and Customs Union, European Commission.
- Milan Vodopivec & Andreas Wörgötter & Dhushyanth Raju, 2005. "Unemployment Benefit Systems in Central and Eastern Europe: A Review of the 1990s1," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Association for Comparative Economic Studies, vol. 47(4), pages 615-651, December.
- Alberto Behar, 2009. "Tax Wedges, Unemployment Benefits and Labour Market Outcomes in the New EU Members," Czech Economic Review, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, vol. 3(1), pages 069-092, March.
- García, José Ramón & Sala, Hector, 2008.
"The tax system incidence on unemployment: A country-specific analysis for the OECD economies,"
Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 1232-1245, November.
- García, José Ramón & Sala, Hector, 2006. "The Tax System Incidence on Unemployment: A Country-Specific Analysis for the OECD Economies," IZA Discussion Papers 2226, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Andrea Bassanini & Romain Duval, 2006.
"Employment Patterns in OECD Countries: Reassessing the Role of Policies and Institutions,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
486, OECD Publishing.
- Andrea Bassanini & Romain Duval, 2006. "Employment Patterns in OECD Countries: Reassessing the Role of Policies and Institutions," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 35, OECD Publishing.
- Milan Vodopivec, 2006. "Choosing a System of Unemployment Income Support: Guidelines for Developing and Transition Countries," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 21(1), pages 49-89.
- Sjef Ederveen & Laura Thissen, 2004. "Can Labour Market Institutions Explain Unemployment Rates in New EU Member States?," Economics Working Papers 027, European Network of Economic Policy Research Institutes.
- Kugler, Adriana D. & Kugler, Maurice, 2003.
"The Labour Market Effects of Payroll Taxes in a Middle-Income Country: Evidence from Colombia,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4046, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Adriana Kugler & Maurice Kugler, 2003. "The labor market effects of payroll taxes in a middle-income country: Evidence from Colombia," Economics Working Papers 721, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Kugler, Adriana & Kugler, Maurice, 2003. "The Labor Market Effects of Payroll Taxes in a Middle-Income Country: Evidence from Colombia," IZA Discussion Papers 852, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Perotti, Roberto & Alesina, Alberto, 1997. "The Welfare State and Competitiveness," Scholarly Articles 4553027, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- European Commission, 2009. "Taxation trends in the European Union: 2009 edition," Taxation trends 2009, Directorate General Taxation and Customs Union, European Commission.
- European Commission, 2011. "Taxation trends in the European Union: 2011 edition," Taxation trends 2011, Directorate General Taxation and Customs Union, European Commission.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:rsocec:v:68:y:2010:i:1:p:93-125. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.