How hard does the tax bite hurt? Croatian vs. European worker
The main objective of this paper is to analyse the tax burden in Croatia and to find out whether and how the size and the structure of total labour costs affect the functioning of the labour market. The tax wedge, together with employment and unemployment rates, is brought into play to classify EU countries and Croatia into clusters using K-means and hierarchical clustering. The results show that Croatia is classified among countries with a high tax wedge and a high unemployment rate. The same holds when, instead of the tax wedge, personal average tax rate is considered. However, in Croatia most of the tax burden is borne by the employees, not by the employers. Thus, the average Croatian industry worker bears a relatively high tax burden, which is exacerbated when the newly introduced “crisis tax” and increased VAT are taken into account.
Volume (Year): 34 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Smiciklasova 21, 10000 Zagreb|
Web page: http://www.fintp.hr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joan Muysken & Tom Van Veen & Erik De Regt, 1999. "Does a shift in the tax burden create employment?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(10), pages 1195-1205.
- Stephen Nickell, 2004.
"Employment and Taxes,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0634, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Mortensen, Dale T & Pissarides, Christopher, 2001.
"Taxes, Subsidies and Equilibrium Labour Market Outcomes,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2989, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dale T Mortensen & Christopher Pissarides, 2001. "Taxes, subsidies and equilibrium labor market outcomes," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2075, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 2002. "Taxes, Subsidies and Equilibrium Labor Market Outcomes," CEP Discussion Papers dp0519, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Ivica Urban, 2006. "Progressivity of personal income tax in Croatia: decomposition of tax base and rate effects," Financial Theory and Practice, Institute of Public Finance, vol. 30(3), pages 207-231.
- Francesco Daveri & Guido Tabellini, .
"Unemployment, Growth and Taxation in Industrial Countries,"
122, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Francesco Daveri & Guido Tabellini, 2000. "Unemployment, growth and taxation in industrial countries," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 15(30), pages 47-104, 04.
- Daveri, Francesco & Tabellini, Guido, 1997. "Unemployment, Growth and Taxation in Industrial Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers 1681, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jan-Egbert Sturm & Bjørn Volkerink, 2003. "How to Measure the Tax Burden on Labour at the Macro-Level?," CESifo Working Paper Series 963, CESifo Group Munich.
- Marek Gora & Artur Radziwill & Agnieszka Sowa & Mateusz Walewski, 2006. "Tax Wedge and Skills: Case of Poland in International Perspective," CASE Network Reports 0064, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Primoz Dolenc & Milan Vodopivec, 2005. "The tax wedge in Slovenia: international comparison and policy recommendations," Financial Theory and Practice, Institute of Public Finance, vol. 29(3), pages 229-243.
- European Commission, 2008. "Taxation trends in the European Union: 2008 edition," Taxation trends 2008, Directorate General Taxation and Customs Union, European Commission.
- Alberto Behar, 2009. "Tax Wedges, Unemployment Benefits and Labour Market Outcomes in the New EU Members," Czech Economic Review, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, vol. 3(1), pages 069-092, March.
- Eamets, Raul & Masso, Jaan, 2004. "Labour Market Flexibility and Employment Protection Regulation in the Baltic States," IZA Discussion Papers 1147, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- European Commission, 2011. "Taxation trends in the European Union: 2011 edition," Taxation trends 2011, Directorate General Taxation and Customs Union, European Commission.
- Stephen Nickell, 1997. "Unemployment and Labor Market Rigidities: Europe versus North America," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(3), pages 55-74, Summer.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ipf:finteo:v:34:y:2010:i:2:p:109-142. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martina Fabris)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.