A regional analysis of inflation dynamics in Turkey
A hybrid new Keynesian Phillips curve is estimated with spatial interaction effects among the dependent and the independent variables using data of 67 provinces across Turkey over the period 1987–2001. In contrast to previous studies, backward-looking behavior appears to be more or equally important than forward looking behavior. Furthermore, when the impact of this behavior is split up into a direct effect on the own province and an indirect effect on neighboring provinces, which due to employing a spatial econometric approach is possible, we find significant evidence in favor of convergence. This is an important finding since it corroborates a process of regional integration of inflation rates across Turkey, which is a precondition in the accession process of Turkey to the European Union. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2014
Volume (Year): 52 (2014)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00168/index.htm|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hakan Yilmazkuday, 2013. "Inflation targeting, flexible exchange rates and inflation convergence," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(5), pages 593-603, February.
- Rudd, Jeremy & Whelan, Karl, 2005.
"Modelling Inflation Dynamics: A Critical Review of Recent Research,"
Research Technical Papers
7/RT/05, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Jeremy Rudd & Karl Whelan, 2007. "Modeling Inflation Dynamics: A Critical Review of Recent Research," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 39(s1), pages 155-170, 02.
- Karl Whelan & Jeremy Rudd, 2005. "Modelling inflation dynamics : a critical review of recent research," Open Access publications 10197/237, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Jeremy B. Rudd & Karl Whelan, 2005. "Modelling inflation dynamics: a critical review of recent research," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2005-66, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Jeremy Rudd & Karl Whelan, 2007. "Modeling inflation dynamics : a critical review of recent research," Open Access publications 10197/201, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Karanassou, Marika & Sala, Hector & Snower, Dennis J., 2003.
"The European Phillips Curve: Does the NAIRU Exist?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
876, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Karanassou, Marika & Sala, Hector & Snower, Dennis J., 2003. "The European Phillips Curve: Does the NAIRU Exist?," CEPR Discussion Papers 4102, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:nbr:nberre:0126 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yazgan M. Ege & Yilmazkuday Hakan, 2005. "Inflation Dynamics of Turkey: A Structural Estimation," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 9(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Jorgen Lauridsen & Reinhold Kosfeld, 2003.
"A Test Strategy for Spurious Spatial Regression, Spatial Nonstationarity, and Spatial Cointegration,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa03p42, European Regional Science Association.
- Jørgen Lauridsen & Reinhold Kosfeld, 2006. "A test strategy for spurious spatial regression, spatial nonstationarity, and spatial cointegration," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 85(3), pages 363-377, 08.
- Jondeau, Eric & Le Bihan, Herve, 2005. "Testing for the New Keynesian Phillips Curve. Additional international evidence," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 521-550, May.
- Gali, Jordi & Gertler, Mark, 1999.
"Inflation dynamics: A structural econometric analysis,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 195-222, October.
- Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler, 2000. "Inflation Dynamics: A Structural Econometric Analysis," NBER Working Papers 7551, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jordi Galí & Mark Gertler, 1998. "Inflation dynamics: A structural econometric analysis," Economics Working Papers 341, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Bjørnstad, Roger & Nymoen, Ragnar, 2008.
"The New Keynesian Phillips Curve Tested on OECD Panel Data,"
Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal,
Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 2, pages 1-18.
- Bjørnstad, Roger & Nymoen, Ragnar, 2008. "The New Keynesian Phillips curve tested on OECD panel data," Economics Discussion Papers 2008-4, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Jordi Galí & Mark Gertler & David López-Salido, 2005.
"Robustness of the Estimates of the Hybrid New Keynesian Phillips Curve,"
Banco de Espa�a Working Papers
0520, Banco de Espa�a.
- Gali, Jordi & Gertler, Mark & David Lopez-Salido, J., 2005. "Robustness of the estimates of the hybrid New Keynesian Phillips curve," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(6), pages 1107-1118, September.
- Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler & David Lopez-Salido, 2005. "Robustness of the Estimates of the Hybrid New Keynesian Phillips Curve," NBER Working Papers 11788, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jordi Galí & Mark Gertler & J. David López-Salido, 2001. "Robustness of the Estimates of the Hybrid New Keynesian Phillips Curve," Working Papers 44, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Pesaran, M.H., 2003.
"A Simple Panel Unit Root Test in the Presence of Cross Section Dependence,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0346, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2007. "A simple panel unit root test in the presence of cross-section dependence," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(2), pages 265-312.
- Bill Russell, 2007.
"Non-Stationary Inflation and Panel Estimates of United States Short and Long-run Phillips curves,"
Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics
200, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Russell, Bill, 2011. "Non-stationary inflation and panel estimates of United States short and long-run Phillips curves," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 406-419, September.
- Mur, Jesús & Angulo, Ana, 2009. "Model selection strategies in a spatial setting: Some additional results," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 200-213, March.
- Taylor, John B, 1980.
"Aggregate Dynamics and Staggered Contracts,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(1), pages 1-23, February.
- Lindé, Jesper, 2001.
"Estimating New-Keynesian Phillips Curves: A Full Information Maximum Likelihood Approach,"
Working Paper Series
129, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden), revised 30 Apr 2001.
- Linde, Jesper, 2005. "Estimating New-Keynesian Phillips curves: A full information maximum likelihood approach," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(6), pages 1135-1149, September.
- Calvo, Guillermo A., 1983. "Staggered prices in a utility-maximizing framework," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 383-398, September.
- A. Ozlem Onder, 2009.
"The stability of the Turkish Phillips curve and alternative regime shifting models,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(20), pages 2597-2604.
- Özlem Önder, 2006. "The Stability Of The Turkish Phillips Curve And Alternative Regime Shifting Models," Working Papers 0602, Ege University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:anresc:v:52:y:2014:i:1:p:1-17. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.