Job Performance and Job Satisfaction: An Integrated Survey
The empirical evidence from the econometrics of self-reported job satisfaction and from organisational psychology on job performance raises the main issues regarding the relationship between job performance and job satisfaction (i.e. the sign and the direction of causality), and the connected issues of the effectiveness of economic incentives for job performance and job satisfaction with respect to individuals' characteristics and contextual variables. This paper provides a survey of the literature on the topic in an attempt to integrate the results from the different lines of research within a single framework. The conventional economic view of the effectiveness of incentives is extended on the basis of the psychological concepts of intrinsic motivations, self-esteem, and life satisfaction.
Volume (Year): (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reeson, Andrew F. & Tisdell, John G., 2008. "Institutions, motivations and public goods: An experimental test of motivational crowding," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 273-281, October.
- Michael J. Handel & Maury Gittleman, 1999.
"Is There a Wage Payoff to Innovative Work Practices?,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_288, Levy Economics Institute.
- Michael J. Handel & Maury Gittleman, 2000. "Is there a Wage Payoff to Innovative Work Practices?," Macroeconomics 0004032, EconWPA.
- Lanse Minkler, 2002.
"Shirking and Motivations in Firms: Survey Evidence on Worker Attitudes,"
2002-40, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Minkler, Lanse, 2004. "Shirking and motivations in firms: survey evidence on worker attitudes," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 863-884, June.
- Lanse Minkler, 2002. "Shirking and Motivation in Firms: Survey Evidence on Worker Attitudes," Working papers 2002-37, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Canice Prendergast, 1999. "The Provision of Incentives in Firms," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(1), pages 7-63, March.
- Jones, D.C. & Svejnar, J., 1984.
"Participation, profit sharing, worker ownership and efficieny in Italian producer cooperatives,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1984019, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jones, Derek C & Svejnar, Jan, 1985. "Participation, Profit Sharing, Worker Ownership and Efficiency in Italian Producer Cooperative," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 52(208), pages 449-65, November.
- Michael A. Shields & Stephen Wheatley Price, .
"Racial Harassment, Job Satisfaction and Intentions to Quit: Evidence from the British Nursing Profession,"
Discussion Papers in Public Sector Economics
01/2, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Shields, Michael A & Price, Stephen Wheatley, 2002. "Racial Harassment, Job Satisfaction and Intentions to Quit: Evidence from the British Nursing Profession," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 69(274), pages 295-26, May.
- Shields, Michael A. & Wheatley Price, Stephen, 2000. "Racial Harassment, Job Satisfaction and Intentions to Quit: Evidence from the British Nursing Profession," IZA Discussion Papers 164, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Nathalie Greenan, 1996. "Innovation technologique, changements organisationnels et évolution des compétences," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 298(1), pages 15-33.
- Golden, Lonnie & Wiens-Tuers, Barbara, 2006. "To your happiness? Extra hours of labor supply and worker well-being," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 382-397, April.
- Federica Origo & Laura Pagani, 2006. "Is Work Flexibility a Stairway to Heaven? The Story Told by Job Satisfaction in Europ," Working Papers 97, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Jun 2006.
- Rannia Leontaridi & Peter Sloane, 2001. "Measuring The Quality Of Jobs," LoWER Working Papers wp7, AIAS, Amsterdam Institute for Advanced Labour Studies.
- Richard B. Freeman & Morris M. Kleiner & Cheri Ostroff, 2000. "The Anatomy of Employee Involvement and Its Effects on Firms and Workers," NBER Working Papers 8050, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mul:jb33yl:doi:10.1428/31687:y:2010:i:1:p:175-210. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.