Voting, Wealth Heterogeneity, and Endogenous Labor Supply
We examine the link between voting outcomes, wealth heterogeneity, and endogenous labor - leisure choice in the majority-voting - endogenous-growth frameworks of Alesina and Rodrik (1994) and Das and Ghate (2004). We augment these frameworks to incorporate leisure-dependent utility and allow households to vote on factor-specific income taxes. When agents vote on factor-specific taxes, we show that the asymptotic convergence of factor holdings does not imply unanimity over the growth-maximizing tax policy in the steady state. Unanimity over growth-maximizing policies holds only when agents vote on a general income tax,and when agents vote on factor-specific taxes but labor is exogenous.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 63 (2007)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.mohr.de/fa|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Salvador Ortigueira, 1996.
"Fiscal Policy in an Endogenous Growth Model with Human Capital Accumulation,"
9609, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
- Ortigueira, Salvador, 1998. "Fiscal policy in an endogenous growth model with human capital accumulation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 323-355, July.
- Barro, R.J., 1988.
"Government Spending In A Simple Model Of Endogenous Growth,"
RCER Working Papers
130, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Barro, Robert J, 1990. "Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogenous Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages S103-26, October.
- Robert J. Barro, 1988. "Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogenous Growth," NBER Working Papers 2588, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J., 1990. "Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogeneous Growth," Scholarly Articles 3451296, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Steve Bond & Asli Leblebicioglu & Fabio Schiantarelli, 2004.
"Capital Accumulation and Growth: A New Look at the Empirical Evidence,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
591, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 02 Aug 2007.
- Steve Bond & Asli Leblebicioglu & Fabio Schiantarelli, 2010. "Capital accumulation and growth: a new look at the empirical evidence," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(7), pages 1073-1099, November/.
- Stephen Bond & Asli Leblebicioglu, 2004. "Capital Accumulation and Growth: A New Look at the Empirical Evidence," Economics Series Working Papers 2004-W08, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Steve Bond & Asli Leblebicioglu & Fabio Schiantarelli, 2004. "Capital Accumulation and Growth: A New Look at the Empirical Evidence," Economics Papers 2004-W08, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Bond, Steve & Asli, Leblebicioglu & Schiantarelli, Fabio, 2004. "Capital Accumulation and Growth: A New Look at the Empirical Evidence," IZA Discussion Papers 1174, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Paul A. de Hek, 2005.
"On Taxation in a Two-Sector Endogenous Growth Model with Endogenous Labor Supply,"
DEGIT Conference Papers
c010_010, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- de Hek, Paul A., 2006. "On taxation in a two-sector endogenous growth model with endogenous labor supply," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 655-685, April.
- Paul A. de Hek, 2003. "On Taxation in a Two-Sector Endogenous Growth Model with Endogenous Labor Supply," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 03-029/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Bertola, Giuseppe, 1991.
"Factor Shares and Savings In Endogenous Growth,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
576, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Santos, Manuel S. & Ortigueira, Salvador & Ladrón de Guevara, Antonio, 1994.
"Equilibrium dynamics in two-sector models of endogenous growth,"
UC3M Working papers. Economics
2913, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Ladron-de-Guevara, Antonio & Ortigueira, Salvador & Santos, Manuel S., 1997. "Equilibrium dynamics in two-sector models of endogenous growth," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 115-143, January.
- Antonio Ladron de Guevara & Salvador Ortigueira & Manuel S. Santos, 1994. "Equilibrium Dynamics in Two-Sector Models of Endogenous Growth," Working Papers 9403, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
- Salvador Ortigueira, 1997.
"A Dynamic Analysis of an Endogenous Growth Model with Leisure,"
9705, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
- Salvador Ortigueira, 2000. "A dynamic analysis of an endogenous growth model with leisure," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 16(1), pages 43-62.
- Chetan Ghate, 2005. "Endogenous distribution and equilibrium growth: a note," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(2), pages 171-183, 04.
- Philippe Aghion & Patrick Bolton, 1997. "A Theory of Trickle-Down Growth and Development," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 64(2), pages 151-172.
- Eriksson, Clas, 1996. "Economic growth with endogenous labour supply," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 533-544, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mhr:finarc:urn:sici:0015-2218(200712)63:4_477:vwhael_2.0.tx_2-3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.