The existence of equilibrium when excess demand obeys the weak axiom
This paper gives a non-fixed point theoretic proof of equilibrium existence when the excess demand function of an exchange economy obeys the weak axiom. The proof is simple and geometrically intuitive, and it also permits a weakening of the continuity assumption on the excess demand function. (This paper is a more developed and (one hopes) improved version of an earlier working paper called An Elementary Equilibrium Existence Theorem, Working Paper W6 (2000), Nuffield College, Oxford.)
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John K.-H. Quah, 2000.
"The Weak Axiom and Comparative Statics,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0437, Econometric Society.
- Shafer, Wayne J, 1974. "The Nontransitive Consumer," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(5), pages 913-19, September.
- Michael Jerison, 1998.
"Dispersed Excess Demands, the Weak Axiom and Uniqueness of Equilibrium,"
98-03, University at Albany, SUNY, Department of Economics.
- Jerison, Michael, 1999. "Dispersed excess demands, the weak axiom and uniqueness of equilibrium," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 15-48, February.
- Michael Jerison & John K.-H. Quah, 2006. "Law of Demand," Discussion Papers 06-07, University at Albany, SUNY, Department of Economics.
- Quah, John K. -H., 2003. "Market demand and comparative statics when goods are normal," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 317-333, June.
- John H. Nachbar, 2002. "General Equilibrium Comparative Statics," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(5), pages 2065-2074, September.
- Quah, J.K.-H., 2000.
"Weak Axiomatic Demand Theory,"
2000-w12, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Nachbar, John H., 2004. "General equilibrium comparative statics: discrete shocks in production economies," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1-2), pages 153-163, February.
- Barbolla, Rosa & Corchon, Luis C, 1989. "An Elementary Proof of the Existence of a Competitive Equilibrium in a Special Case," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 104(2), pages 385-89, May.
- John K.-H. Quah, 1997. "The Law of Demand when Income Is Price Dependent," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(6), pages 1421-1442, November.
- Reinhard John, 1999. "Abraham Wald's equilibrium existence proof reconsidered," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 417-428.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Whinston, Michael D. & Green, Jerry R., 1995. "Microeconomic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195102680, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:mateco:v:44:y:2008:i:3-4:p:337-343. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.