On the boundary behavior of the excess demand function
I revisit thoroughly the standard boundary behavior satisfied by the excess demand function of a competitive economy, and I prove two implications of the boundary behavior. Then, I show that these implications lead to an alternative proof of the existence of competitive equilibria which is instructive, shorter and perhaps easier than the available proofs in the literature.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Quah, John K.-H., 2008.
"The existence of equilibrium when excess demand obeys the weak axiom,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(3-4), pages 337-343, February.
- John K.-H. Quah, 2004. "The existence of equilibrium when excess demand obeys the weak axiom," Economics Papers 2004-W07, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- John Quah, 2004. "The existence of equilibrium when excess demand obeys the weak axiom," Economics Series Working Papers 2004-W07, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Werner, Jan, 1987. "Arbitrage and the Existence of Competitive Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(6), pages 1403-18, November.
- Aliprantis, Charalambos D. & Brown, D. J., 1982.
"Equilibrium in Markets with a Riesz Space of Commodities,"
427, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Aliprantis, Charalambos D. & Brown, Donald J., 1983. "Equilibria in markets with a Riesz space of commodities," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 189-207, April.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Whinston, Michael D. & Green, Jerry R., 1995. "Microeconomic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195102680, March.
- Maćkowiak, Piotr, 2010.
"The existence of equilibrium without fixed-point arguments,"
42044, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 04 Sep 2010.
- Mackowiak, Piotr, 2010. "The existence of equilibrium without fixed-point arguments," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(6), pages 1194-1199, November.
- Husseinov, Farhad, 1999. "Boundary Behavior of Excess Demand and Existence of Equilibrium," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 434-449, August.
- Neuefeind, Wilhelm, 1980. "Notes on Existence of Equilibrium Proofs and the Boundary Behavior of Supply," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(7), pages 1831-37, November.
- Frayssé, Jean, 2009. "A simple proof of the existence of an equilibrium when the weak axiom holds," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(11), pages 767-769, December.
- Yannelis, Nicholas C. & Prabhakar, N. D., 1983. "Existence of maximal elements and equilibria in linear topological spaces," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 233-245, December.
- John Geanakoplos, 2003. "Nash and Walras equilibrium via Brouwer," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 21(2), pages 585-603, 03.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1993.
"Temporary general equilibrium theory,"
Handbook of Mathematical Economics,
in: K. J. Arrow & M.D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 4, volume 2, chapter 19, pages 879-922
- Tian, Guoqiang, 1994. "Generalized KKM theorem, minimax inequalities and their applications," MPRA Paper 41217, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:reecon:v:66:y:2012:i:4:p:371-374. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.