A note on two notions of arbitrage
Since Hart's  and Werner's  seminal papers, several conditions have been proposed to show the existence of equilibrium in an asset exchange economy with short-selling. In this note, we discuss the relationship between two no-arbitrage conditions. The first condition is the assumption that the individually rational utility set U is compact, as considered by Dana, Le Van and Magnien . The second is inconsequential arbitrage, introduced by Page, Wooders and Monteiro . The main result of this comparison is to show that the inconsequential arbitrage condition is stronger than the assumption that U is compact
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (0) 2476 523202
Fax: +44 (0) 2476 523032
Web page: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Green, Jerry R, 1973. "Temporary General Equilibrium in a Sequential Trading Model with Spot and Futures Transactions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(6), pages 1103-23, November.
- Nielsen, Lars Tyge, 1989. "Asset Market Equilibrium with Short-Selling," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(3), pages 467-73, July.
- Hart, Oliver D., 1974. "On the existence of equilibrium in a securities model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 293-311, November.
- Milne, Frank, 1980. "Short-Selling, Default Risk and the Existence of Equilibrium in a Securities Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 21(2), pages 255-67, June.
- Page, F.H.Jr. & Wooders, M.H. & Monteiro, P.K., 1999.
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
561, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Hammond, Peter J., 1983. "Overlapping expectations and Hart's conditions for equilibrium in a securities model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 170-175, October.
- Allouch, Nizar, 2002. "An equilibrium existence result with short selling," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 81-94, April.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1977.
"Temporary General Equilibrium Theory,"
Econometric Society, vol. 45(3), pages 535-72, April.
- Page, Frank Jr., 1987. "On equilibrium in Hart's securities exchange model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 392-404, April.
- Werner, Jan, 1987. "Arbitrage and the Existence of Competitive Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(6), pages 1403-18, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wrk:warwec:623. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helen Neal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.