The geometry of arbitrage and the existence of competitive equilibrium
We present the basic geometry of arbitrage and use this basic geometry to shed new light on the relationships between various noarbitrage conditions found in the literature. For example, under very mild conditions of Hart (1974) and Werner (1987) are equivalent and imply the compactness of the set of utility possibilities. Moreover, we show that if agents' sets of useless net trades are linearly independent, then the Hart-Werner conditions are equilivent to the stronger condition of no-unbounded-arbitrage due to Page (1987) - and, in turn, all are equilivalent to compactness of the set of rational allocations. We also consider the problem of existence of equilibrium. We show, for example, that under a uniformity condition on preferences weaker than Werner's uniformity condition, the Hart-Werner no-arbitrage conditions are sufficient for existence. With an additional condition of weak no half lines - a condition weaker than Werner's no-half lines condition - we show that the Hart-Werner conditions are both necessary and sufficient for existence.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donald J. Brown & Jan Werner, 1995.
"Arbitrage and Existence of Equilibrium in Infinite Asset Markets,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 62(1), pages 101-114.
- Brown,Donald & Werner,Jan, 1991. "Arbitrage and existence of equilibrium in infinite asset markets," Discussion Paper Serie A 344, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Brown, D.J. & Werner, J., 1992. "Arbitrage and Existence of Equilibrium in Finite Asset Markets," Papers 43, Stanford - Institute for Thoretical Economics.
- Brown, Donald & Werner, Jan, 1993. "Arbitrage and Existence of Equilibrium in Infinite Asset Markets," Working Papers 825, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Page Jr., Frank H. & Wooders, Myrna Holtz, 1996. "A necessary and sufficient condition for the compactness of individually rational and feasible outcomes and the existence of an equilibrium," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 153-162, August.
- Milne, Frank, 1980. "Short-Selling, Default Risk and the Existence of Equilibrium in a Securities Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 21(2), pages 255-267, June.
- PageJr., Frank H. & Wooders, Myrna H. & Monteiro, Paulo K., 2000. "Inconsequential arbitrage," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 439-469, December.
- Page, F.H.Jr. & Wooders, M.H. & Monteiro, P.K., 1999. "Inconsequential Arbitrage," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 561, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Allouch, Nizar, 2002. "An equilibrium existence result with short selling," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 81-94, April.
- Dana, Rose-Anne & Le Van, Cuong & Magnien, Francois, 1999. "On the Different Notions of Arbitrage and Existence of Equilibrium," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 169-193, July.
- Dana, Rose-Anne & Le Van, Cuong & Magnien, François, 1996. "On the different notions of arbitrage and existence of equilibrium," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9616, CEPREMAP.
- Dana, R.-A. & Le Van, C. & Magnien, F., 1999. "On the Different Notions of Arbitrage and Existence of Equilibrium," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 1999.34, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Page, Frank Jr., 1987. "On equilibrium in Hart's securities exchange model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 392-404, April.
- Werner, Jan, 1987. "Arbitrage and the Existence of Competitive Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(6), pages 1403-1418, November.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1972. "Continuity properties of a von Neumann-Morgenstern utility," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 45-57, February.
- Hart, Oliver D., 1974. "On the existence of equilibrium in a securities model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 293-311, November.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1993. "Temporary general equilibrium theory," Handbook of Mathematical Economics, in: K. J. Arrow & M.D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 4, volume 2, chapter 19, pages 879-922 Elsevier.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1977. "Temporary General Equilibrium Theory," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(3), pages 535-572, April.
- Milne, Frank, 1976. "Default Risk in a General Equilibrium Asset Economy with Incomplete Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 17(3), pages 613-625, October.
- Allouch, N., 2000. "Equilibrium and Bounded Arbitrage," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 2000.78, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Green, Jerry R, 1973. "Temporary General Equilibrium in a Sequential Trading Model with Spot and Futures Transactions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(6), pages 1103-1123, November.
- Chongmin Kim, 1998. "Stochastic Dominance, Pareto Optimality, and Equilibrium Asset Pricing," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 65(2), pages 341-356.
- Allouch, Nizar & Van, Cuong Le & Page Jr. Frank H., 2002. "Arbitrage, Equilibrium And Nonsatiation," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 637, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Nizar Allouch & Cuong Le Van & Frank H. Page, Jr., 2004. "Arbitrage, Equilibrium, and Nonsatiation," Working Papers 512, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Lars Tyge Nielsen, 1989. "Asset Market Equilibrium with Short-Selling," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 56(3), pages 467-473.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/6228 is not listed on IDEAS Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:mateco:v:38:y:2002:i:4:p:373-391. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.