Arbitrage, duality and asset equilibria
In finite dimensional economies, it was proven by Werner [Werner, J., 1987. Arbitrage and the existence of competitive equilibrium. Econometrica 55, 1403–1418.], that if there exists a no-arbitrage price (equivalently, under standard assumptions on agents' utilities, if aggregate demand exists for some price), then there exists an equilibrium. This result does not generalize to the infinite dimension. The purpose of this paper is to propose a “utility weight” interpretation of the notion of “of no-arbitrage price”. We define “fair utility weight vectors” as utility weight vectors for which the representative agent problem has a unique solution. They correspond to no-arbitrage prices. The assumption that there exists a Pareto-optimum, can be viewed as the equivalent of the assumption of existence of aggregate demand. We may then define in the space of utility weight vector, the excess utility correspondence, which has the properties of an excess demand correspondence. We use a generalized version of Gale–Nikaido–Debreu's lemma to prove the existence of an equilibrium.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +33(0) 1 43 13 62 30
Fax: +33(0) 1 43 13 62 32
Web page: http://www.cepremap.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brown, Donald J & Werner, Jan, 1995.
"Arbitrage and Existence of Equilibrium in Infinite Asset Markets,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(1), pages 101-14, January.
- Brown,Donald & Werner,Jan, 1991. "Arbitrage and existence of equilibrium in infinite asset markets," Discussion Paper Serie A 344, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Brown, Donald & Werner, Jan, 1993. "Arbitrage and Existence of Equilibrium in Infinite Asset Markets," Working Papers 825, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Brown, D.J. & Werner, J., 1992. "Arbitrage and Existence of Equilibrium in Finite Asset Markets," Papers 43, Stanford - Institute for Thoretical Economics.
- Dana, Rose-Anne & Le Van, Cuong & Magnien, Francois, 1999.
"On the Different Notions of Arbitrage and Existence of Equilibrium,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 169-193, July.
- Dana, Rose-Anne & Le Van, Cuong & Magnien, François, 1999. "On the Different Notions of Arbitrage and Existence of Equilibrium," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/6228, Paris Dauphine University.
- Dana, R.-A. & Le Van, C. & Magnien, F., 1999. "On the Different Notions of Arbitrage and Existence of Equilibrium," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 1999.34, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Dana, Rose-Anne & Le Van, Cuong & Magnien, François, 1996. "On the different notions of arbitrage and existence of equilibrium," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9616, CEPREMAP.
- Green, Jerry R, 1973. "Temporary General Equilibrium in a Sequential Trading Model with Spot and Futures Transactions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(6), pages 1103-23, November.
- Chichilnisky Graciela & Heal Geoffrey M., 1993. "Competitive Equilibrium in Sobolev Spaces without Bounds on Short Sales," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 364-384, April.
- Monique Florenzano, 2007.
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Monique Florenzano, 2008. "General equilibrium," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne b08005, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Werner, Jan, 1987. "Arbitrage and the Existence of Competitive Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(6), pages 1403-18, November.
- Page Jr., Frank H. & Wooders, Myrna Holtz, 1996. "A necessary and sufficient condition for the compactness of individually rational and feasible outcomes and the existence of an equilibrium," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 153-162, August.
- Hart, Oliver D., 1974. "On the existence of equilibrium in a securities model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 293-311, November.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1977.
"Temporary General Equilibrium Theory,"
Econometric Society, vol. 45(3), pages 535-72, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpm:cepmap:9613. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stéphane Adjemian)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.