The existence of equilibrium without fixed-point arguments
Abstract This paper gives a proof of the existence of general equilibrium without the use of a fixed point theorem. Unlike other results of this type, the conditions we use do not imply that the set of equilibrium prices is convex. We use an assumption on the excess demand correspondence that is related to, but weaker than, the weak axiom of revealed preference (WARP). The proof is carried out for compact and convex valued upper hemicontinuous excess demand correspondences satisfying this WARP-related condition and some other standard conditions. We also provide an algorithm for finding equilibrium prices.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Quah, John K.-H., 2008.
"The existence of equilibrium when excess demand obeys the weak axiom,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(3-4), pages 337-343, February.
- John K.-H. Quah, 2004. "The existence of equilibrium when excess demand obeys the weak axiom," Economics Papers 2004-W07, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Joseph Greenberg, 1977. "An Elementary Proof of the Existence of a Competitive Equilibrium with Weak Gross Substitutes," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 91(3), pages 513-516.
- John K.-H. Quah, 1997. "The Law of Demand when Income Is Price Dependent," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(6), pages 1421-1442, November.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Whinston, Michael D. & Green, Jerry R., 1995. "Microeconomic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195102680, April.
- Rosa Barbolla & Luis C. Corchón, 1989. "An Elementary Proof of the Existence of a Competitive Equilibrium in a Special Case," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 104(2), pages 385-389.
- Frayssé, Jean, 2009. "A simple proof of the existence of an equilibrium when the weak axiom holds," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(11), pages 767-769, December.
- Michael Jerison & John K.-H. Quah, 2006. "Law of Demand," Discussion Papers 06-07, University at Albany, SUNY, Department of Economics. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:mateco:v:46:y:2010:i:6:p:1194-1199. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.