The existence of equilibrium without fixed-point arguments
Abstract This paper gives a proof of the existence of general equilibrium without the use of a fixed point theorem. Unlike other results of this type, the conditions we use do not imply that the set of equilibrium prices is convex. We use an assumption on the excess demand correspondence that is related to, but weaker than, the weak axiom of revealed preference (WARP). The proof is carried out for compact and convex valued upper hemicontinuous excess demand correspondences satisfying this WARP-related condition and some other standard conditions. We also provide an algorithm for finding equilibrium prices.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joseph Greenberg, 1977. "An Elementary Proof of the Existence of a Competitive Equilibrium with Weak Gross Substitutes," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 91(3), pages 513-516.
- John K.-H. Quah, 2004.
"The existence of equilibrium when excess demand obeys the weak axiom,"
2004-W07, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Quah, John K.-H., 2008. "The existence of equilibrium when excess demand obeys the weak axiom," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3-4), pages 337-343, February.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Whinston, Michael D. & Green, Jerry R., 1995. "Microeconomic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195102680.
- Rosa Barbolla & Luis C. Corchón, 1989. "An Elementary Proof of the Existence of a Competitive Equilibrium in a Special Case," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 104(2), pages 385-389.
- Frayssé, Jean, 2009. "A simple proof of the existence of an equilibrium when the weak axiom holds," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(11), pages 767-769, December.
- John K.-H. Quah, 1997. "The Law of Demand when Income Is Price Dependent," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(6), pages 1421-1442, November.
- Michael Jerison & John K.-H. Quah, 2006. "Law of Demand," Discussion Papers 06-07, University at Albany, SUNY, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:mateco:v:46:y:2010:i:6:p:1194-1199. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.