The Exact Insensitivity of Market Budget Shares and the 'Balancing Effect'
We reformulate Grandmont's and its successors' notion of behavioral heterogeneity such as to get the exact insensitivity of the aggregate budget share function with respect to changes in prices and income, instead of a mere approximate insensitivity. We propose a non parametric set-up such that, if the population is distributed according to some ``uniform'' probability measure, the aggregate budget share function is constant. The important contribution is that this exact insensitivity is not explained by any insensitivity at the microeconomic level but rather by an exact "balancing effect". We give illustrative examples of populations that fulfill our requirements.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PEGE. 61, Aven. de la Forêt-Noire 67000 Strasbourg|
Phone: +33 3 68 85 20 69
Fax: +33 3 68 85 20 70
Web page: http://www.beta-umr7522.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hildenbrand, Werner, 1983. "On the "Law of Demand."," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(4), pages 997-1019, July.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1992.
"Transformations of the commodity space, behavioral heterogeneity, and the aggregation problem,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 1-35.
- Jean-Michel Grandmont, 1991. "Transformations of the Commodity Space, Behavioral Heterogeneity and the Aggregation Problem," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 987, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Grandmont Jean-michel, 1991. "Transformation of the commodity space, behavioral heterogeneity and the aggregation problem," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9114, CEPREMAP.
- Michael Jerison, 1998.
"Dispersed Excess Demands, the Weak Axiom and Uniqueness of Equilibrium,"
98-03, University at Albany, SUNY, Department of Economics.
- Jerison, Michael, 1999. "Dispersed excess demands, the weak axiom and uniqueness of equilibrium," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 15-48, February.
- Kneip, Alois, 1999. "Behavioral heterogeneity and structural properties of aggregate demand," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 49-79, February.
- Maret, Isabelle, 1998. "Heterogeneous households}} intertemporal characteristics and the aggregation problem," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 133-157, June.
- Werner Hildenbrand & Alois Kneip, 1999. "Behavioral Heterogeneity," Discussion Paper Serie A 589, University of Bonn, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ulp:sbbeta:2005-02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.