Behavioral Heterogeneity in Large Economies
Grandmont\'s () notion of behavioral heterogeneity is reformulated in a non parametric set-up such that the space of budget share functions admits a ``uniform\'\' probability distribution. If the population is distributed according to this measure, the aggregate budget share function is constant with respect to changes in prices and income. This exact insensitivity of the market budget share function is known to imply uniqueness and global stability of any competitive equilibrium. Here, it is not explained by any insensitivity property at the micro-economic level, but rather by a perfect \'balancing effect\'\'. Eventually, it is proved that the insensitivity property holds approximately for a finite population sufficiently close to, but distinct from, the perfectly heterogenous one.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +33 3 68 85 20 69
Fax: +33 3 68 85 20 70
Web page: http://www.beta-umr7522.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kubler, Félix & Chiappori, Pierre-André & Ekeland, Ivar & Polemarchakis, Herades, 2002.
"The Identification of Preferences from Equilibrium Prices under Uncertainty,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/13505, Paris Dauphine University.
- Kubler, F. & Chiappori, P. -A. & Ekeland, I. & Polemarchakis, H. M., 2002. "The Identification of Preferences from Equilibrium Prices under Uncertainty," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 403-420, February.
- POLEMARCHAKIS, Heracles M. & CHIAPPORI, P. A. & KUBLER, F. & EKELAND, I., 2000. "The identification of preferences from equilibrium prices under uncertainty," Les Cahiers de Recherche 689, HEC Paris.
- CHIAPPORI, Pierre-André & EKELAND, Ivar & KUBLER, Félix & POLEMARCHAKIS, Heracles, 2000. "The identification of preferences from equilibrium prices under uncertainty," CORE Discussion Papers 2000025, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Kirman, Alan, 1989. "The Intrinsic Limits of Modern Economic Theory: The Emperor Has No Clothes," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(395), pages 126-39, Supplemen.
- Hildenbrand, K., 1998. "On J.M. Grandmont's Modelling of Behavioral Heterogeneity," Discussion Paper Serie A 580, University of Bonn, Germany.
- de Villemur, E.B., 1998. "Heterogeneity and Stability: Variations on Scarf's Processes," Economics Working Papers eco98/38, European University Institute.
- Kneip, Alois, 1999. "Behavioral heterogeneity and structural properties of aggregate demand," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 49-79, February.
- CALVET, Laurent & GRANDMONT, Jean-Michel & LEMAIRE, Isabelle, 1998. "Heterogeneous probabilities in complete asset markets," CORE Discussion Papers 1998019, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- P. A. Chiappori & I. Ekeland, 1999.
"Aggregation and Market Demand: An Exterior Differential Calculus Viewpoint,"
Econometric Society, vol. 67(6), pages 1435-1458, November.
- Chiappori, Pierre-André & Ekeland, Ivar, 1999. "Aggregation and Market Demand: An Exterior Differential Calculus Viewpoint," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/6427, Paris Dauphine University.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Neuefeind, Wilhelm, 1977. "Some Generic Properties of Aggregate Excess Demand and an Application," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(3), pages 591-99, April.
- Takeshi Momi, .
"Excess Demand Functions with Incomplete Markets - A Global Result,"
IEW - Working Papers
096, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Momi, Takeshi, 2003. "Excess demand functions with incomplete markets--a global result," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 240-250, August.
- Dierker, Egbert & Dierker, Hildegard & Trockel, Walter, 1984. "Price-dispersed preferences and C1 mean demand," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 11-42, April.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521335614 is not listed on IDEAS
- John K.-H. Quah, 1997. "The Law of Demand when Income Is Price Dependent," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(6), pages 1421-1442, November.
- Bottazzi, Jean-Marc & Hens, Thorsten, 1996. "Excess Demand Functions and Incomplete Markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 49-63, January.
- Hildenbrand, Werner, 1983. "On the "Law of Demand."," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(4), pages 997-1019, July.
- Mertens, J.-F., 1988. "Stable equilibria - a reformulation," CORE Discussion Papers 1988038, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Marhuenda, F, 1995. "Distribution of Income and Aggregation of Demand," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(3), pages 647-66, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ulp:sbbeta:2002-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.