Modeling Behavioral Heterogeneity in Demand Theory
This paper is a first step in answering B. Villemeur\'s (1998,1999) and Hildenbrand\'s (1998) criticism of the notions of behavioral heterogeneity introduced in demand theory by Grandmont (1992) and Kneip (1999). As in the Grandmont-Kneip approach, we define a notion of behavioral heterogeneity such that if the population is sufficiently heterogeneous, the aggregate budget share function is proved to become insensitive to changes in prices and income. However, in contrast to the aforementioned literature, this insensitivity in the aggregate is not explained by any insensitivity property at the microeconomic level, but rather by a ``balancing effect\'\' : For any commodity, the negative effect on market budget share induced after a change in prices or income by individuals who decrease their budget share is compensated by the existence of individuals who increase their budget share.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +33 3 68 85 20 69
Fax: +33 3 68 85 20 70
Web page: http://www.beta-umr7522.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John K.-H. Quah, 1997. "The Law of Demand when Income Is Price Dependent," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(6), pages 1421-1442, November.
- Hildenbrand, K., 1998. "On J.M. Grandmont's Modelling of Behavioral Heterogeneity," Discussion Paper Serie A 580, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Werner Hildenbrand & Alois Kneip, 1999. "Behavioral Heterogeneity," Discussion Paper Serie A 589, University of Bonn, Germany.
- de Villemur, E.B., 1998. "Heterogeneity and Stability: Variations on Scarf's Processes," Economics Working Papers eco98/38, European University Institute.
- Isabelle MARET, 2001. "Modeling Behavioral Heterogeneity in Demand Theory," Working Papers of BETA 2001-04, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Kneip, Alois, 1999. "Behavioral heterogeneity and structural properties of aggregate demand," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 49-79, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ulp:sbbeta:2002-05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.