The energy efficiency paradox revisited through a partial observability approach
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Jan Velthuijsen, 1993. "Incentives for investment in energy efficiency: an econometric evaluation and policy implications," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 3(2), pages 153-169, April.
- Stephen J. Decanio & William E. Watkins, 1998. "Investment In Energy Efficiency: Do The Characteristics Of Firms Matter?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(1), pages 95-107, February.
- Ghemawat, Pankaj & Caves, Richard E, 1986. "Capital Commitment and Profitability: An Empirical Investigation," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 38(0), pages 94-110, Suppl. No.
- de Almeida, Edmar Luiz Fagundes, 1998. "Energy efficiency and the limits of market forces: The example of the electric motor market in France," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(8), pages 643-653, July.
- Acs, Zoltan J & Audretsch, David B, 1988. "Innovation in Large and Small Firms: An Empirical Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(4), pages 678-690, September.
- de Groot, Henri L. F. & Verhoef, Erik T. & Nijkamp, Peter, 2001.
"Energy saving by firms: decision-making, barriers and policies,"
Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 717-740, November.
- Henri L.F.M. de Groot & Erik T. Verhoef & Peter Nijkamp, 1999. "Energy Saving by Firms: Decision-Making, Barriers and Policies," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 99-031/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Simon Feeny & Mark Harris & Mark Rogers, 2005.
"A dynamic panel analysis of the profitability of Australian tax entities,"
Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 209-233, January.
- Simon Feeny & Mark N. Harris & Joanne Loundes, 2000. "A Dynamic Panel Analysis of the Profitability of Australian Tax Entities," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2000n22, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Pizer, William & Kopp, Raymond & Morgenstern, Richard & Harrington, Winston & Shih, Jhih-Shyang, 2002.
"Technology Adoption and Aggregate Energy Efficiency,"
dp-02-52, Resources For the Future.
- Pizer, William A. & Harrington, Winston & Kopp, Raymond J. & Morgenstern, Richard D. & Shih, Jhih-Shyang, 2002. "Technology Adoption and Aggregate Energy Efficiency," Discussion Papers 10616, Resources for the Future.
- Pindyck, Robert S., 2000.
"Irreversibilities and the timing of environmental policy,"
Resource and Energy Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 233-259, July.
- Pindyck, Robert S., 1998. "Irreversibilities and the timing of environmental policy," Working papers WP 4047-98., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Ronald J. Sutherland, 1991. "Market Barriers to Energy-Efficiency Investments," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 15-34.
- Weiss, Allen M, 1994. "The Effects of Expectations on Technology Adoption: Some Empirical Evidence," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(4), pages 341-360, December.
- Pindyck, Robert S., 2002. "Optimal timing problems in environmental economics," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(9-10), pages 1677-1697, August.
- Ana Faria & Paul Fenn & Alistair Bruce, 2002. "Determinants of adoption of flexible production technologies: Evidence from portuguese manufacturing industry," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(6), pages 569-580.
- Bloom, David E. & Killingsworth, Mark R., 1985.
"Correcting for truncation bias caused by a latent truncation variable,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 131-135, January.
- David E. Bloom & Mark R. Killingsworth, 1984. "Correcting for Truncation Bias Caused by a Latent Truncation Variable," NBER Technical Working Papers 0038, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Khanna, Madhu & Zilberman, David, 2001. "Adoption of energy efficient technologies and carbon abatement: the electricity generating sector in India," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 637-658, November.
- Verhoef, Erik T. & Nijkamp, Peter, 2003. "The adoption of energy-efficiency enhancing technologies.: Market performance and policy strategies in case of heterogeneous firms," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 839-871, July.
- Slade, Margaret E., 2004. "Competing models of firm profitability," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 289-308, March.
- Watts, Ross L. & Zimmerman, Jerold L., 1980. "On the irrelevance of replacement cost disclosures for security prices," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 95-106, August.
- Slater, Stanley F. & Olson, Eric M., 2002. "A fresh look at industry and market analysis," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 15-22.
- Jacobson, Robert, 1987. "The Validity of ROI as a Measure of Business Performance," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(3), pages 470-478, June.
- Geroski, P. A., 2000. "Models of technology diffusion," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(4-5), pages 603-625, April.
- Dunne, Paul & Hughes, Alan, 1994. "Age, Size, Growth and Survival: UK Companies in the 1980s," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 115-140, June.
- Sanstad, Alan H. & Howarth, Richard B., 1994. "`Normal' markets, market imperfections and energy efficiency," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(10), pages 811-818, October.
- Jung, Chulho & Krutilla, Kerry & Boyd, Roy, 1996. "Incentives for Advanced Pollution Abatement Technology at the Industry Level: An Evaluation of Policy Alternatives," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 95-111, January.
- Pargal, Sheoli & Wheeler, David, 1996. "Informal Regulation of Industrial Pollution in Developing Countries: Evidence from Indonesia," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(6), pages 1314-1327, December.
- DeCanio, Stephen J, 1998. "The efficiency paradox: bureaucratic and organizational barriers to profitable energy-saving investments," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 441-454, April.
- Shama, Avraham, 1983. "Energy conservation in US buildings : Solving the high potential/low adoption paradox from a behavioural perspective," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 148-167, June.
- Stoneman, Paul L & David, Paul A, 1986. "Adoption Subsidies vs Information Provision as Instruments of Technology Policy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 96(380a), pages 142-150, Supplemen.
- Jaffe, Adam B. & Stavins, Robert N., 1994. "The energy paradox and the diffusion of conservation technology," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 91-122, May.
- David B. Audretsch, 1995. "Innovation and Industry Evolution," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262011468, March.
- Fisher, Franklin M & McGowan, John J, 1983. "On the Misuse of Accounting Rates of Return to Infer Monopoly Profits," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(1), pages 82-97, March.
- Schwert, G William, 1981. "Using Financial Data to Measure Effects of Regulation," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(1), pages 121-158, April.
- Hirschey, Mark, 1985. "Market Structure and Market Value," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58(1), pages 89-98, January.
- Hirschey, Mark, 1986. "Mergers, Buyouts and Fakeouts," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 317-322, May.
- Riccardo Lucchetti & Alessandro Sterlacchini, 2004. "The Adoption of ICT among SMEs: Evidence from an Italian Survey," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 151-168, September.
- Zoltan Acs & David Audretsch, 1990. "Innovation and Small Firms," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262011131, March.
- Blackman, Allen & Bannister, Geoffrey J., 1998. "Community Pressure and Clean Technology in the Informal Sector: An Econometric Analysis of the Adoption of Propane by Traditional Mexican Brickmakers," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 1-21, January.
- Daan van Soest & Erwin Bulte, 2001. "Does the Energy-Efficiency Paradox Exist? Technological Progress and Uncertainty," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 18(1), pages 101-112, January.
- Takehiko Yasuda, 2005. "Firm Growth, Size, Age and Behavior in Japanese Manufacturing," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 1-15, December.
- McFarland, Henry B, 1988. "Evaluating q as an Alternative to the Rate of Return in Measuring Profitability," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(4), pages 614-622, November.
- Teece, David J, 1981. "Internal Organization and Economic Performance: An Empirical Analysis of the Profitability of Principal Firms," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(2), pages 173-199, December.
- Richard B. Howarth & Alan H. Sanstad, 1995. "Discount Rates And Energy Efficiency," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 13(3), pages 101-109, July.
- DeCanio, Stephen J., 1993. "Barriers within firms to energy-efficient investments," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(9), pages 906-914, September.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:gam:jeners:v:11:y:2018:i:3:p:518-:d:133937 is not listed on IDEAS
- Olsthoorn, Mark & Schleich, Joachim & Hirzel, Simon, 2017. "Adoption of Energy Efficiency Measures for Non-residential Buildings: Technological and Organizational Heterogeneity in the Trade, Commerce and Services Sector," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 136(C), pages 240-254.
- Théophile T. Azomahou & Raouf Boucekkine & Phu Nguyen-Vanc, "undated".
"Promoting Clean Technologies: The Energy Market Structure Crucially Matters,"
2008_13, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Théophile T. Azomahou & Raouf Boucekkine & Phu Nguyen-Van, 2008. "Promoting clean technologies: The energy market structure crucially matters," THEMA Working Papers 2008-19, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Théophile T. Azomahou & Raouf Boucekkine & Phu Nguyen-Van, 2008. "Promoting clean technologies: The energy market structure crucially matters," Working Papers 15, Development and Policies Research Center (DEPOCEN), Vietnam.
- Azomahou, Théophile & Boucekkine, Raouf & Nguyen-Van, Phu, 2008. "Promoting clean technologies: The energy market structure crucially matters," MERIT Working Papers 032, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Klemick, Heather & Kopits, Elizabeth & Wolverton, Ann & Sargent, Keith, 2015. "Heavy-duty trucking and the energy efficiency paradox: Evidence from focus groups and interviews," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 77(C), pages 154-166.
- Nathalie Lazaric & Kevin Maréchal, 2010. "Overcoming inertia: insights from evolutionary economics into improved energy and climate policy," Post-Print hal-00452205, HAL.
- repec:eee:energy:v:153:y:2018:i:c:p:825-835 is not listed on IDEAS
- Galarraga, Ibon & González-Eguino, Mikel & Markandya, Anil, 2011. "Willingness to pay and price elasticities of demand for energy-efficient appliances: Combining the hedonic approach and demand systems," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(S1), pages 66-74.
- Liu, Xianbing & Wang, Can & Zhang, Weishi & Suk, Sunhee & Sudo, Kinichi, 2013. "Company's affordability of increased energy costs due to climate policies: A survey by sector in China," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 419-430.
- Zierler, Rupert & Wehrmeyer, Walter & Murphy, Richard, 2017. "The energy efficiency behaviour of individuals in large organisations: A case study of a major UK infrastructure operator," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 104(C), pages 38-49.
- Kounetas, Kostas & Tsekouras, Kostas, 2010. "Are the Energy Efficiency Technologies efficient?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 274-283, January.
- Heather Klemick & Elizabeth Kopits & Keith Sargent & Ann Wolverton, 2014. "Heavy-Duty Trucks and the Energy Efficiency Paradox," NCEE Working Paper Series 201402, National Center for Environmental Economics, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, revised Jan 2014.
- Liu, Xianbing & Niu, Dongjie & Bao, Cunkuan & Suk, Sunhee & Sudo, Kinichi, 2013. "Affordability of energy cost increases for companies due to market-based climate policies: A survey in Taicang, China," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 102(C), pages 1464-1476.
- Kounetas, Kostas & Skuras, Dimitris & Tsekouras, Kostas, 2011. "Promoting energy efficiency policies over the information barrier," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 72-84, March.
- Kounetas, Konstantinos & Mourtos, Ioannis & Tsekouras, Konstantinos, 2012. "Is energy intensity important for the productivity growth of EET adopters?," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 930-941.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:eneeco:v:30:y:2008:i:5:p:2517-2536. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eneco .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.