Towards deeper financial integration in Europe: What the Banking Union can contribute
The agreement to establish a Single Supervisory Mechanism in Europe is a major step towards a Banking Union, consisting of centralized powers for the supervision of banks, the restructuring and resolution of distressed banks, and a common deposit insurance system. In this paper, we argue that the Banking Union is a necessary complement to the common currency and the Internal Market for capital. However, due care needs to be taken that steps towards a Banking Union are taken in the right sequence and that liability and control remain at the same level throughout. The following elements are important. First, establishing a Single Supervisory Mechanism under the roof of the ECB and within the framework of the current EU treaties does not ensure a sufficient degree of independence of supervision and monetary policy. Second, a European institution for the restructuring and resolution of banks should be established and equipped with sufficient powers. Third, a fiscal backstop for bank restructuring is needed. The ESM can play a role but additional fiscal burden sharing agreements are needed. Direct recapitalization of banks through the ESM should not be possible until legacy assets on banks’ balance sheets have been cleaned up. Fourth, introducing European-wide deposit insurance in the current situation would entail the mutualisation of legacy assets, thus contributing to moral hazard.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 611 - 752390
Fax: +49 611 - 752538
Web page: http://www.sachverstaendigenrat-wirtschaft.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hepp, Ralf & von Hagen, Jürgen, 2010.
"Interstate risk sharing in Germany: 1970-2006,"
ZEI Working Papers
B 03-2010, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Ralf Hepp & JÃ¼rgen von Hagen, 2010. "Interstate Risk Sharing in Germany: 1970-2006," Fordham Economics Discussion Paper Series dp2010-04, Fordham University, Department of Economics.
- Hepp, Ralf & von Hagen, Jürgen, 2011. "Interstate Risk Sharing in Germany:1970-2006," CEPR Discussion Papers 8593, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ralf Hepp & Juergen von Hagen, 2010. "Interstate Risk Sharing in Germany: 1970-2006," Working papers 2010-13, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Mathias Hoffmann & Iryna Shcherbakova-Stewen, 2011.
"Consumption Risk Sharing over the Business Cycle: The Role of Small Firms' Access to Credit Markets,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 93(4), pages 1403-1416, November.
- Mathias Hoffmann & Iryna Shcherbakova, 2009. "Consumption Risk Sharing over the Business Cycle: the Role of Small Firms' Access to Credit Markets," CESifo Working Paper Series 2544, CESifo Group Munich.
- Mathias Hoffmann & Iryna Shcherbakova, 2008. "Consumption risk sharing over the business cycle: the role of small firms' access to credit markets," IEW - Working Papers 363, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Linda Andersson, 2008. "Fiscal Flows and Financial Markets: To What Extent Do They Provide Risk Sharing within Sweden?," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(7), pages 1003-1011.
- Diamond, Douglas W & Dybvig, Philip H, 1983.
"Bank Runs, Deposit Insurance, and Liquidity,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(3), pages 401-19, June.
- Rose, Andrew K & Wieladek, Tomasz, 2011.
"Financial Protectionism: the First Tests,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8404, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrew K. Rose & Tomasz Wieladek, 2011. "Financial Protectionism: the First Tests," NBER Working Papers 17073, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rose, Andrew & Wieladek, Tomasz, 2011. "Financial protectionism: the first tests," Discussion Papers 32, Monetary Policy Committee Unit, Bank of England.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Koch, Cathérine T. & Koetter, Michael, 2011. "Size, productivity, and international banking," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 329-334.
- George J. Benston & George G. Kaufman, 1997. "FDICIA after five years: a review and evaluation," Working Paper Series, Issues in Financial Regulation WP-97-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Jin-Chuan Duan, 2000. "Correction: Maximum Likelihood Estimation Using Price Data of the Derivative Contract (Mathematical Finance 1994, 4/2, 155-167)," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(4), pages 461-462.
- Charles Goodhart & Dirk Schoenmaker, 2009. "Fiscal Burden Sharing in Cross-Border Banking Crises," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 5(1), pages 141-165, March.
- Silvia Merler & Jean Pisani-Ferry, 2012.
"Sudden stops in the euro area,"
- C. A. E. Goodhart & D. J. Lee, 2013. "Adjustment mechanisms in a currency area," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 48763, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Hasan Doluca & Malte Hübner & Dominik Rumpf & Benjamin Weigert, 2012. "The European Redemption Pact: Implementation and macroeconomic effects," Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 47(4), pages 230-239, July.
- George A. Akerlof & Paul M. Romer, 1993. "Looting: The Economic Underworld of Bankruptcy for Profit," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 24(2), pages 1-74.
- Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Sørensen, Bent E & Yosha, Oved, 2004.
"Asymmetric Shocks and Risk Sharing in a Monetary Union: Updated Evidence and Policy Implications for Europe,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4463, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Bent E. Sorensen & Oved Yosha, 2004. "Asymmetric Shocks and Risk Sharing in a Monetary Union: Updated Evidence and Policy Implications for Europe," Working Papers 2004-05, Department of Economics, University of Houston.
- Cour-Thimann, Philippine & Winkler, Bernhard, 2013.
"The ECB’s non-standard monetary policy measures: the role of institutional factors and financial structure,"
Working Paper Series
1528, European Central Bank.
- Philippine Cour-Thimann & Bernhard Winkler, 2012. "The ECB’s non-standard monetary policy measures: the role of institutional factors and financial structure," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(4), pages 765-803, WINTER.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Eickmeier, Sandra & Prieto, Esteban, 2010.
"Macroeconomic factors and micro-level bank risk,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2010,20, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Claudia M. Buch & Sandra Eickmeier & Esteban Prieto, 2014. "Macroeconomic Factors and Microlevel Bank Behavior," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 46(4), pages 715-751, 06.
- Brewer, Elijah, III & Mondschean, Thomas H, 1994. "An Empirical Test of the Incentive Effects of Deposit Insurance: The Case of Junk Bonds at Savings and Loan Associations," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 26(1), pages 146-64, February.
- Barth, James R. & Caprio, Gerard Jr. & Levine, Ross, 2012. "Guardians of Finance: Making Regulators Work for Us," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262017393, June.
- Philip R. Lane & Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2006.
"The External Wealth of Nations Mark II: Revised and Extended Estimates of Foreign Assets and Liabilities,1970–2004,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Lane, Philip R. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 2007. "The external wealth of nations mark II: Revised and extended estimates of foreign assets and liabilities, 1970-2004," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 223-250, November.
- Lane, Philip R. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 2006. "The External Wealth of Nations Mark II: Revised and Extended Estimates of Foreign Assets and Liabilities, 1970-2004," CEPR Discussion Papers 5644, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philip R. Lane & Gian-Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2006. "The External Wealth of Nations Mark II; Revised and Extended Estimates of Foreign Assets and Liabilities, 1970-2004," IMF Working Papers 06/69, International Monetary Fund.
- C. Goodhart & D. Lee, 2013. "Adjustment Mechanisms in a Currency Area," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 24(4), pages 627-656, September.
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell R. & Lundblad, Christian, 2006.
"Growth volatility and financial liberalization,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 370-403, April.
- Faruk Balli & Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Bent Sorensen, 2011.
"Risk Sharing through Capital Gains,"
NBER Working Papers
17612, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- DeLong, Gayle & Saunders, Anthony, 2011. "Did the introduction of fixed-rate federal deposit insurance increase long-term bank risk-taking?," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 19-25, January.
- Asdrubali, Pierfederico & Sorensen, Bent E & Yosha, Oved, 1996. "Channels of Interstate Risk Sharing: United States 1963-1990," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 111(4), pages 1081-1110, November.
- Acharya, Viral V. & Steffen, Sascha, 2014. "Falling short of expectations? Stress-testing the European banking system," CEPS Papers 8803, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Anat Admati & Martin Hellwig, 2013. "The Bankers' New Clothes: What's Wrong with Banking and What to Do about It," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 9929.
- Kenneth Spong, 2000.
"Banking regulation : its purposes, implementation, and effects,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, number 2000bria, July 7.
- Kenneth Spong, 1994. "Banking regulation : its purpose, implementation, and effects," Monograph, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, number 1994bria, July 7.
- Sergei A. Davydenko & Julian R. Franks, 2008. "Do Bankruptcy Codes Matter? A Study of Defaults in France, Germany, and the U.K," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 63(2), pages 565-608, 04.
- Xavier Freixas & Jean-Charles Rochet, 1997. "Microeconomics of Banking," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061937, June.
- Jin-Chuan Duan, 1994. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation Using Price Data Of The Derivative Contract," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(2), pages 155-167.
- George J. Benston & George G. Kaufman, 1997. "FDICIA after Five Years," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(3), pages 139-158, Summer.
- Luc Laeven, 2002. "Bank Risk and Deposit Insurance," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 16(1), pages 109-137, June.
- Gros, Daniel, 2013. "The Bank Resolution Compromise: Incomplete, but workable?," CEPS Papers 8776, Centre for European Policy Studies.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:svrwwp:022013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.