Towards deeper financial integration in Europe: What the Banking Union can contribute
The European Banking Union is a major step forward in fixing major deficiencies in the institutional framework of the Euro area. The absence of effective banking supervision and resolution powers at the European level promoted excessive private risk-taking in the up-run to the Euro crisis. Effective private risk sharing once risks materialized has been hampered. A properly designed Banking Union facilitates and improves private risk sharing, and it is thus a necessary institutional complement to a monetary union. Yet, the institutional framework of the Banking Union needs further strengthening in three regards. First, the supervisory framework needs to ensure uniform supervisory standards for all banks, including those located in non-Euro area countries. Also, conflicts of interest between monetary policy and banking supervision need to be mitigated. Second, bank resolution suffers from a highly complex governance structure. Restructuring and bail-in rules allow for a high degree of discretion at the level of the resolution authority. We propose to introduce a statutory systemic risk exception, by which the exercise of discretion would be reduced, thereby strengthening the credibility of the bail-in. Third, in order to enhance the credibility of creditor involvement, fiscal backstops and ex-ante specified cross-border burden-sharing agreements are needed.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Statistisches Bundesamt, Gustav-Stresemann-Ring 11, 65180 Wiesbaden|
Phone: +49 611 - 752390
Fax: +49 611 - 752538
Web page: http://www.sachverstaendigenrat-wirtschaft.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hasan Doluca & Malte Hübner & Dominik Rumpf & Benjamin Weigert, 2012. "The European Redemption Pact: Implementation and macroeconomic effects," Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, Springer;German National Library of Economics;Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS), vol. 47(4), pages 230-239, July.
- C. Goodhart & D. Lee, 2013. "Adjustment Mechanisms in a Currency Area," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 24(4), pages 627-656, September.
- George A. Akerlof & Paul M. Romer, 1993. "Looting: The Economic Underworld of Bankruptcy for Profit," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 24(2), pages 1-74.
- George J. Benston & George G. Kaufman, 1997. "FDICIA after five years: a review and evaluation," Working Paper Series, Issues in Financial Regulation WP-97-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Luc Laeven, 2002. "Bank Risk and Deposit Insurance," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 16(1), pages 109-137, June.
- Silvia Merler & Jean Pisani-Ferry, 2012.
"Sudden stops in the euro area,"
- C. A. E. Goodhart & D. J. Lee, 2013. "Adjustment mechanisms in a currency area," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 48763, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Anat Admati & Martin Hellwig, 2013. "The Bankers' New Clothes: What's Wrong with Banking and What to Do about It," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 9929.
- Pierfederico Asdrubali & Bent E. Sørensen & Oved Yosha, 1996. "Channels of Interstate Risk Sharing: United States 1963–1990," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 111(4), pages 1081-1110.
- Faruk Balli & Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Bent Sorensen, 2011.
"Risk Sharing through Capital Gains,"
NBER Working Papers
17612, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mathias Hoffmann & Iryna Shcherbakova, 2009.
"Consumption Risk Sharing over the Business Cycle: the Role of Small Firms' Access to Credit Markets,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2544, CESifo Group Munich.
- Mathias Hoffmann & Iryna Shcherbakova-Stewen, 2011. "Consumption Risk Sharing over the Business Cycle: The Role of Small Firms' Access to Credit Markets," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 93(4), pages 1403-1416, November.
- Mathias Hoffmann & Iryna Shcherbakova, 2008. "Consumption risk sharing over the business cycle: the role of small firms' access to credit markets," IEW - Working Papers 363, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Rose, Andrew & Wieladek, Tomasz, 2011.
"Financial protectionism: the first tests,"
32, Monetary Policy Committee Unit, Bank of England.
- Linda Andersson, 2008. "Fiscal Flows and Financial Markets: To What Extent Do They Provide Risk Sharing within Sweden?," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(7), pages 1003-1011.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Koch, Cathérine T. & Koetter, Michael, 2011. "Size, productivity, and international banking," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 329-334.
- Brewer, Elijah, III & Mondschean, Thomas H, 1994. "An Empirical Test of the Incentive Effects of Deposit Insurance: The Case of Junk Bonds at Savings and Loan Associations," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 26(1), pages 146-164, February.
- DeLong, Gayle & Saunders, Anthony, 2011. "Did the introduction of fixed-rate federal deposit insurance increase long-term bank risk-taking?," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 19-25, January.
- Ralf Hepp & Juergen von Hagen, 2010.
"Interstate Risk Sharing in Germany: 1970-2006,"
2010-13, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Hepp, Ralf & von Hagen, Jürgen, 2010. "Interstate risk sharing in Germany: 1970-2006," ZEI Working Papers B 03-2010, University of Bonn, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies.
- Ralf Hepp & JÃ¼rgen von Hagen, 2010. "Interstate Risk Sharing in Germany: 1970-2006," Fordham Economics Discussion Paper Series dp2010-04, Fordham University, Department of Economics.
- Hepp, Ralf & von Hagen, Jürgen, 2011. "Interstate Risk Sharing in Germany:1970-2006," CEPR Discussion Papers 8593, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kenneth Spong, 1994.
"Banking regulation : its purpose, implementation, and effects,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, number 1994bria, July.
- Kenneth Spong, 2000. "Banking regulation : its purposes, implementation, and effects," Monograph, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, number 2000bria, July.
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell R. & Lundblad, Christian, 2006.
"Growth volatility and financial liberalization,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 370-403, April.
- Lane, Philip R. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 2006.
"The External Wealth of Nations Mark II: Revised and Extended Estimates of Foreign Assets and Liabilities, 1970-2004,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5644, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lane, Philip R. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 2007. "The external wealth of nations mark II: Revised and extended estimates of foreign assets and liabilities, 1970-2004," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 223-250, November.
- Philip R. Lane & Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2006. "The External Wealth of Nations Mark II: Revised and Extended Estimates of Foreign Assets and Liabilities,1970–2004," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp126, IIIS.
- Diamond, Douglas W & Dybvig, Philip H, 1983.
"Bank Runs, Deposit Insurance, and Liquidity,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(3), pages 401-419, June.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Bent E. Sorensen & Oved Yosha, 2004.
"Asymmetric Shocks and Risk Sharing in a Monetary Union: Updated Evidence and Policy Implications for Europe,"
2004-05, Department of Economics, University of Houston.
- Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Sørensen, Bent E & Yosha, Oved, 2004. "Asymmetric Shocks and Risk Sharing in a Monetary Union: Updated Evidence and Policy Implications for Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 4463, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barth, James R. & Caprio, Gerard Jr. & Levine, Ross, 2012. "Guardians of Finance: Making Regulators Work for Us," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262017393.
- Jin-Chuan Duan, 2000. "Correction: Maximum Likelihood Estimation Using Price Data of the Derivative Contract (Mathematical Finance 1994, 4/2, 155-167)," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(4), pages 461-462.
- Xavier Freixas & Jean-Charles Rochet, 1997. "Microeconomics of Banking," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061937.
- George J. Benston & George G. Kaufman, 1997. "FDICIA after Five Years," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(3), pages 139-158, Summer.
- Sumit Agarwal & David Lucca & Amit Seru & Francesco Trebbi, 2012.
"Inconsistent Regulators: Evidence From Banking,"
NBER Working Papers
17736, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Claudia M. Buch & Sandra Eickmeier & Esteban Prieto, 2014.
"Macroeconomic Factors and Microlevel Bank Behavior,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 46(4), pages 715-751, 06.
- Gros, Daniel, 2013. "The Bank Resolution Compromise: Incomplete, but workable?," CEPS Papers 8776, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Claudia M. Buch & Sandra Eickmeier & Esteban Prieto, 2010.
"Macroeconomic Factors and Micro-Level Bank Risk,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3194, CESifo Group Munich.
- Acharya, Viral V. & Steffen, Sascha, 2014. "Falling short of expectations? Stress-testing the European banking system," CEPS Papers 8803, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Cour-Thimann, Philippine & Winkler, Bernhard, 2013.
"The ECB’s non-standard monetary policy measures: the role of institutional factors and financial structure,"
Working Paper Series
1528, European Central Bank.
- Philippine Cour-Thimann & Bernhard Winkler, 2012. "The ECB’s non-standard monetary policy measures: the role of institutional factors and financial structure," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(4), pages 765-803, WINTER.
- Sergei A. Davydenko & Julian R. Franks, 2008. "Do Bankruptcy Codes Matter? A Study of Defaults in France, Germany, and the U.K," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 63(2), pages 565-608, 04.
- Charles Goodhart & Dirk Schoenmaker, 2009. "Fiscal Burden Sharing in Cross-Border Banking Crises," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 5(1), pages 141-165, March.
- Jin-Chuan Duan, 1994. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation Using Price Data Of The Derivative Contract," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(2), pages 155-167.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:svrwwp:022013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.