The ECB’s non-standard monetary policy measures: the role of institutional factors and financial structure
This paper aims to make two contributions: to review the ECB’s non-standard monetary policy measures in response to the financial and sovereign debt crisis against the background of the institutional framework and financial structure of the euro area; and to interpret this response from a flow-of-funds perspective. The paper highlights how the ECB’s non-standard measures are motivated differently from quantitative easing policies. As a complement to standard interest rate decisions, rather than a substitute, they aim at supporting their effective transmission to the economy rather than at delivering additional monetary stimulus directly. The flow-of-funds analysis proposes an interpretation of central banks’ crisis response as reflecting their capacity to act as the ‘ultimate sector’ that can take on leverage when other sectors are under pressure to deleverage. It also provides examples for tracing the impact of non-standard measures across different sectors and markets. Copyright 2012, Oxford University Press.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Domenico Giannone & Michèle Lenza & Huw Pill & Lucrezia Reichlin, 2012.
"The ECB and the Interbank Market,"
Working Papers ECARES
ECARES 2012-005, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Giannone, Domenico & Lenza, Michele & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 2012. "The ECB and the interbank market," Working Paper Series 1496, European Central Bank.
- Giannone, Domenico & Lenza, Michele & Pill, Huw & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 2012. "The ECB and the Interbank Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 8844, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bonci, Riccardo, 2011.
"Monetary policy and the flow of funds in the euro area,"
Working Paper Series
1402, European Central Bank.
- Riccardo Bonci, 2012. "Monetary policy and the flow of funds in the euro area," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 861, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Peersman, Gert, 2011.
"Macroeconomic effects of unconventional monetary policy in the euro area,"
Working Paper Series
1397, European Central Bank.
- Peersman, Gert, 2011. "Macroeconomic Effects of Unconventional Monetary Policy in the Euro Area," CEPR Discussion Papers 8348, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gert Peersman, 2011. "Macroeconomic Effects of Unconventional Monetary Policy in the Euro Area," CESifo Working Paper Series 3589, CESifo Group Munich.
- G. Peersman, 2011. "Macroeconomic Effects of Unconventional Monetary Policy in the Euro Area," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 11/734, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- David Cobham & Yue Kang, 2012.
"Financial Crisis And Quantitative Easing: Can Broad Money Tell Us Anything?,"
University of Manchester, vol. 80, pages 54-76, 09.
- Cobham, David & Kang, Yue, 2012. "Financial crisis and quantitative easing: can broad money tell us anything?," SIRE Discussion Papers 2012-55, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- David Cobham & Yue Kang, 2012. "Financial crisis and quantitative easing: can broad money tell us anything?," Heriot-Watt University Economics Discussion Papers 1206, Department of Economics, School of Management and Languages, Heriot Watt University.
- Stephan Fahr & Roberto Motto & Massimo Rostagno & Frank Smets & Oreste Tristani, 2013.
"A monetary policy strategy in good and bad times: lessons from the recent past,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 28(74), pages 243-288, 04.
- Fahr, Stephan & Motto, Roberto & Rostagno, Massimo & Smets, Frank & Tristani, Oreste, 2011. "A monetary policy strategy in good and bad times: lessons from the recent past," Working Paper Series 1336, European Central Bank.
- Drudi, Francesco & Durré, Alain & Mongelli, Francesco Paolo, 2012. "The interplay of economic reforms and monetary policy: the case of the euro area," Working Paper Series 1467, European Central Bank.
- Bindseil, Ulrich & Winkler, Adalbert, 2012. "Dual liquidity crises under alternative monetary frameworks: a financial accounts perspective," Working Paper Series 1478, European Central Bank.
- Ulrich Bindseil & Philippine Cour-Thimann & Philipp König, 2012. "Target2 and Cross-border Interbank Payments during the Financial Crisis," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 13(SPECIALIS), pages 83-92, 02.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:oxford:v:28:y:2012:i:4:p:765-803. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.