Interstate Risk Sharing in Germany: 1970-2006
We study the channels of interstate risk sharing in Germany for the time period 1970 to 2006 following the methodology of Asdrubali et al. (1996). Their framework allows us to estimate the degree of smoothing of a shock to a state's gross domestic product by factor markets, the government sector, and credit markets, respectively. For the time period from 1970 to 1994 â€“ pre-unification Germany â€“ we find that about 19 percent of shocks to a state's gross domestic product (GDP) are smoothed by private factor markets, 50 percent are smoothed by the German government sector, and a further 17 percent are smoothed through credit markets. For the post-reunification period, 1995 to 2006, the relative importance of the smoothing channels changes. In the complete sample, factor markets contribute around 50.5 percent to income smoothing, and credit markets contribute another 17.5 percent. The government sector's role is diminished: it smoothes around 10 percent of a shock. For this period, we also split our sample between West and East German states. In West Germany, 63 percent of idiosyncratic income shocks are smoothed out by factor markets; and another 15 percent by the government sector. In East Germany, factor markets smooth about 34.5 percent of the volatility in state GDP, the government sector about 19 percent, and another 18 percent are smoothed by credit markets.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.fordham.edu/economics/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Masson, Paul R., 1995.
"Fiscal flows in the United States and Canada: Lessons for monetary union in Europe,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 253-274, February.
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Masson, Paul R, 1994. "Fiscal Flows in the United States and Canada: Lessons for Monetary Union in Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 1057, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lockwood, Ben, 1997.
9703, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Sorensen, B-E & Yosha, O, 1996.
"International Risk Sharing and European Monetary Unification,"
40-96, Tel Aviv.
- Sorensen, Bent E. & Yosha, Oved, 1998. "International risk sharing and European monetary unification," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 211-238, August.
- Buettner, Thiess, 2002. "Fiscal federalism and interstate risk sharing: empirical evidence from Germany," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 195-202, January.
- Michael W. Klein & Tamim Bayoumi, 1997.
"A Provincial View of Economic Integration,"
IMF Working Papers
97/41, International Monetary Fund.
- David K. Backus & Patrick J. Kehoe & Finn E. Kydland, 1987.
"International real business cycles,"
426, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Bucovetsky, Sam, 1998. "Federalism, equalization and risk aversion," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 301-328, March.
- Büttner, Thiess, 1999. "Regional Stabilization by Fiscal Equalization? Theoretical Considerations and Empirical Evidence from Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 99-23, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Del Negro, Marco, 2002.
"Asymmetric shocks among U.S. states,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 273-297, March.
- Hess, Gregory D. & Shin, Kwanho, 1998.
"Intranational business cycles in the United States,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 289-313, April.
- Gregory D. Hess & Kwanho Shin, 1995. "Intranational business cycles in the United States," Research Working Paper 95-07, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Baxter, M. & Crucini, M., 1991.
"Business Cycles and the Asset Structure of Foreign Trade,"
RCER Working Papers
316, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Baxter, Marianne & Crucini, Mario J, 1995. "Business Cycles and the Asset Structure of Foreign Trade," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 36(4), pages 821-54, November.
- Marianne Baxter & Mario J. Crucini, 1992. "Business cycles and the asset structure of foreign trade," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 59, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Marianne Baxter & Mario J. Crucini, 1994. "Business Cycles and the Asset Structure of Foreign Trade," NBER Working Papers 4975, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Razin, A. & Sadka, E., 1997. "Globalization : Public Economics Policy Perspectives," Papers 20-97, Tel Aviv.
- Charlotte Ostergaard & Bent E. Serensen & Oved Yosha, 2002.
"Consumption and Aggregate Constraints: Evidence from U.S. States and Canadian Provinces,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 110(3), pages 634-645, June.
- Ostergaard, Charlotte & Sørensen, Bent E & Yosha, Oved, 2001. "Consumption and Aggregate Constraints: Evidence from US States and Canadian Provinces," CEPR Discussion Papers 2947, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Charlotte Ostergaard & Bent E. Sorensen & Oved Yosha, 2000. "Consumption and aggregate constraints : evidence from U.S. states and Canadian provinces," Research Working Paper RWP 00-04, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Ralf Hepp & JÃ¼rgen von Hagen, 2009.
"Fiscal Federalism in Germany: Stabilization and Redistribution Before and After Unification,"
Fordham Economics Discussion Paper Series
dp2009-06, Fordham University, Department of Economics.
- Ralf Hepp & Jürgen von Hagen, 2012. "Fiscal Federalism in Germany: Stabilization and Redistribution Before and After Unification," Publius: The Journal of Federalism, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(2), pages 234-259, April.
- Hepp, Ralf & von Hagen, Jürgen, 2010. "Fiscal federalism in Germany: Stabilization and redistribution before and after unification," ZEI Working Papers B 02-2010, University of Bonn, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies.
- Hepp, Ralf & von Hagen, Jürgen, 2009. "Fiscal federalism in Germany: Stabilization and redistribution before and after unification," ZEI Working Papers B 01-2009, University of Bonn, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies.
- Hepp, Ralf & von Hagen, Jürgen, 2009. "Fiscal Federalism in Germany: Stabilization and Redistribution Before and After Unification," CEPR Discussion Papers 7246, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Asdrubali, Pierfederico & Kim, Soyoung, 2004.
"Dynamic risksharing in the United States and Europe,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 809-836, May.
- Pierfederico Asdrubali & Soyoung Kim, 2000. "Dynamic Risk Sharing in the United States and Europe," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1621, Econometric Society.
- von Hagen, Jürgen & Hepp, Ralf, 2000.
"Regional risksharing and redistribution in the German federation,"
ZEI Working Papers
B 15-2000, University of Bonn, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies.
- Hepp, Ralf & von Hagen, Jürgen, 2001. "Regional Risksharing and Redistribution in the German Federation," CEPR Discussion Papers 2662, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mario J. Crucini, 1999. "On International and National Dimensions of Risk Sharing," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(1), pages 73-84, February.
- Bent E. Sï¿½rensen & Oved Yosha, 1998. "International Risk Sharing and European Monetary Unification," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 327, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- David Wildasin, 1996. "Introduction: Fiscal Aspects of Evolving Federations," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 121-135, May.
- Pitlik, Hans & Schmid, Gunther & Strotmann, Harald, 2001. "Bargaining Power of Smaller States in Germany's Landerfinanzausgleich 1979-90," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 109(1-2), pages 183-201, October.
- Pierfederico Asdrubali & Bent E. Sørensen & Oved Yosha, 1996. "Channels of Interstate Risk Sharing: United States 1963–1990," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 111(4), pages 1081-1110.
- Hess,Gregory D. & Wincoop,Eric van (ed.), 2000. "Intranational Macroeconomics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521661638, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:frd:wpaper:dp2010-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fordham Economics)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.