Monetary policy and real estate prices: A disaggregated analysis for Switzerland
Most empirical studies found that monetary policy has a significant effect on house prices while stock markets remain unaffected by interest rate shocks. In this paper we conduct a more detailed analysis by studying various sub-segments of the real estate market. Em-ploying a new dataset for Switzerland we estimate vector autoregressive models and find substitution effects between house and apartment prices on the one hand and rental prices on the other. Interestingly enough, commercial property prices do not react on interest rate variations.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Heimhuder Str. 71, D-20148 Hamburg|
Phone: +49 (0)40 34 05 76 - 0
Fax: +49 (0)40 34 05 76 - 776
Web page: http://www.hwwi.org/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marek Rusnák & Tomáš Havránek & Roman Horváth, 2011.
"How to Solve the Price Puzzle? A Meta-Analysis,"
Working Papers IES
2011/24, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Jul 2011.
- Marek Rusnak & Tomas Havranek & Roman Horvath, 2011. "How to Solve the Price Puzzle? A Meta-Analysis," Working Papers 2011/02, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Marek Rusnak & Tomas Havranek & Roman Horvath, 2011. "How to Solve the Price Puzzle? A Meta-Analysis," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp446, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economics Institute, Prague.
- Anna J. Schwartz, 2002. "Asset Price Inflation and Monetary Policy," NBER Working Papers 9321, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barbara Roffia & Andrea Zaghini, 2008.
"Excess money growth and inflation dynamics,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
657, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Eckhard Platen & Willi Semmler, 2009. "Asset Markets and Monetary Policy," Research Paper Series 247, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Sims, Christopher A & Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1990. "Inference in Linear Time Series Models with Some Unit Roots," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 113-144, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:hwwirp:2-19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.