The impact of government support on firm R&D investments : a meta-analysis
This paper applies meta-analysis techniques to a sample of 37 studies published during 2004-2011. These papers assess the impact of direct subsidies on business research and development. The results show that the effect of public investment on research and development is predominantly positive and significant. Furthermore, public funds do not crowd out but incentivize firms to revert funds into research and development. The coefficient of additionality impacts on research and development ranges from 0.166 to 0.252, with reasonable confidence intervals at the 95 percent level. The results are highly sensitive to the method used. The high heterogeneity of precision is explained by the wide variety of methodologies used to estimate the impacts and paper characteristics.
|Date of creation:||01 Jul 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rasmus Lentz & Dale T. Mortensen, 2005.
"An Empirical Model of Growth Through Product Innovation,"
NBER Working Papers
11546, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rasmus Lentz & Dale T. Mortensen, 2008. "An Empirical Model of Growth Through Product Innovation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 76(6), pages 1317-1373, November.
- Rasmus Lentz & Dale T. Mortensen, 2005. "An Empirical Model of Growth Through Product Innovation," CAM Working Papers 2005-13, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Applied Microeconometrics.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Rasmus Lentz, 2005. "An Empirical Model of Growth Through Product Innovation," 2005 Meeting Papers 910, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Rasmus Lentz & Dale T. Mortensen, 2005. "An Empirical Model of Growth Through Product Innovation," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2005-004, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Lentz, Rasmus & Mortensen, Dale T., 2005. "An Empirical Model of Growth Through Product Innovation," IZA Discussion Papers 1685, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Krammer, Sorin M.S., 2009. "Drivers of national innovation in transition: Evidence from a panel of Eastern European countries," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 845-860, June.
- Joan Costa-i-Font & Filipe De-Albuquerque & Hristos Doucouliagos, 2011.
"How significant are fiscal interactions in federations?: a meta-regression analysis,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
37536, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Joan Costa-i-Font & Filipe De-Albuquerque & Hristos Doucouliagos, 2011. "How Significant are Fiscal Interactions in Federations? A Meta-Regression Analysis," CESifo Working Paper Series 3517, CESifo Group Munich.
- William Kerr & Ramana Nanda, 2007.
"Democratizing Entry: Banking Deregulations, Financing Constraints, and Entrepreneurship,"
07-33, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Kerr, William R. & Nanda, Ramana, 2009. "Democratizing entry: Banking deregulations, financing constraints, and entrepreneurship," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 94(1), pages 124-149, October.
- William Kerr & Ramana Nanda, 2006. "Democratizing Entry: Banking Deregulations, Financing Constraints, and Entrepreneurship," Harvard Business School Working Papers 07-033, Harvard Business School, revised Oct 2008.
- Jungsoo Park, 2004. "International and Intersectoral R&D Spillovers in the OECD and East Asian Economies," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 42(4), pages 739-757, October.
- Giovanni Cerulli & Bianca Poti', 2008. "Evaluating the Effect of Public Subsidies on firm R&D activity: an Application to Italy Using the Community Innovation Survey," CERIS Working Paper 200809, Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO).
- J. David Brown & John S. Earle & Hanna Vakhitova & Vitaliy Zheka, 2010. "Innovation, Adoption, Ownership, and Productivity: Evidence from Ukraine," ESCIRRU Working Papers 18, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Gadi Barlevy, 2007. "On the Cyclicality of Research and Development," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(4), pages 1131-1164, September.
- Takalo, Tuomas & Tanayama, Tanja & Toivanen, Otto, 2008. "Evaluating innovation policy: a structural treatment effect model of R&D subsidies," Research Discussion Papers 7/2008, Bank of Finland.
- Aghion, Philippe & Askenazy, Philippe & Berman, Nicolas & Cette, Gilbert & Eymard, Laurent, 2012.
"Credit Constraints and the Cyclicality of R&D Investment: Evidence from France,"
12490632, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Philippe Askenazy & Nicolas Berman & Gilbert Cette & Laurent Eymard, 2012. "Credit Constraints And The Cyclicality Of R&D Investment: Evidence From France," Journal of the European Economic Association, European Economic Association, vol. 10(5), pages 1001-1024, October.
- Aghion, P. & Askenazy, P. & Berman, N. & Cette, G. & Eymard, L., 2008. "Credit Constraints and the Cyclicality of R&D Investment: Evidence from France," Working papers 198, Banque de France.
- Philippe Aghion & Philippe Askenazy & Nicolas Berman & Gilbert Cette & Laurent Eymard, 2008. "Credit constraints and the cyclicality of R&D investment: Evidence from France," PSE Working Papers halshs-00586744, HAL.
- Hristos Doucouliagos & Mehmet Ulubasoglu, 2006. "Democracy and Economic Growth: A Meta-Analysis," Economics Series 2006_04, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Giovanni Cerulli & Bianca Pot�, 2012.
"The differential impact of privately and publicly funded R&D on R&D investment and innovation: the Italian case,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(1), pages 113-149, March.
- Giovanni Cerulli & Bianca Potì, 2010. "The differential impact of privately and publicly funded R&D on R&D investment and innovation: The Italian case," Working Papers 10, Doctoral School of Economics, Sapienza University of Rome, revised 2010.
- Alexandre Almeida & Aurora A.C. Teixeira, 2007. "Does Patenting negatively impact on R&D investment?An international panel data assessment," FEP Working Papers 255, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Dominique Guellec & Bruno van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, 2001.
"R&D and Productivity Growth: Panel Data Analysis of 16 OECD Countries,"
OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers
2001/3, OECD Publishing.
- Dominique Guellec & Bruno van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, 2001. "R&D and Productivity Growth: Panel Data Analysis of 16 OECD Countries," OECD Economic Studies, OECD Publishing, vol. 2001(2), pages 103-126.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & Dominique Guellec, 2001. "R&D and productivity growth: a panel data analysis of 16 OECD countries," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/6219, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Joan Costa‐Font & Marin Gemmill & Gloria Rubert, 2011. "Biases in the healthcare luxury good hypothesis?: a meta‐regression analysis," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 174(1), pages 95-107, January.
- Bayona-Sáez, Cristina & García-Marco, Teresa, 2010. "Assessing the effectiveness of the Eureka Program," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 1375-1386, December.
- Aerts, Kris & Czarnitzki, Dirk, 2004. "Using Innovation Survey Data to Evaluate R&D Policy: The Case of Belgium," ZEW Discussion Papers 04-55, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Xulia González & Jordi Jaumandreu & Consuelo Pazó, 2001.
"Barriers to innovation and subsidy e¤ectiveness,"
0112, Universidade de Vigo, Departamento de Economía Aplicada.
- Pirtea, Marilen & Dima, Bogdan & Milos, Laura Raisa, 2009. "An empirical analysis of the interlinkages between financial sector and economic growth," MPRA Paper 20085, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Baghana, Rufin, 2010. "Public R&D Subsidies and Productivity: Evidence from Firm-Level Data in Quebec," MERIT Working Papers 055, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe De La Potterie, 1997.
"Issues in Assessing the Effect of Interindustry R&D Spillovers,"
Economic Systems Research,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(4), pages 331-356.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe, 1997. "Issues in assessing the effect of interindustry R&D spillovers," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/6235, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Emmanuel Duguet, 2006.
"Innovation height, spillovers and tfp growth at the firm level: Evidence from French manufacturing,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(4-5), pages 415-442.
- DUGUET Emmanuel, 2004. "Innovation height, spillovers and TFP growth at the firm level: Evidence from French manufacturing," Development and Comp Systems 0411017, EconWPA.
- DUGUET Emmanuel, 2004. "Are R&D subsidies a substitute or a complement to privately funded R&D? Evidence from France using propensity score methods for non- experimental data," Public Economics 0411007, EconWPA.
- Hristos Doucouliagos & T.D. Stanley, 2008. "Theory Competition and Selectivity: Are All Economic Facts Greatly Exaggerated?," Economics Series 2008_06, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Stanley, T D & Jarrell, Stephen B, 1989.
" Meta-Regression Analysis: A Quantitative Method of Literature Survey s,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(2), pages 161-70.
- T. D. Stanley & Stephen B. Jarrell, 2005. "Meta-Regression Analysis: A Quantitative Method of Literature Surveys," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(3), pages 299-308, 07.
- Andres Lopez & Ana Maria Reynoso & Martin Rossi, 2010. "Impact Evaluation of a Program of Public Funding of Private Innovation Activities. An Econometric Study of FONTAR in Argentina," OVE Working Papers 0310, .
- James J. Heckman & Hidehiko Ichimura & Petra E. Todd, 1997. "Matching As An Econometric Evaluation Estimator: Evidence from Evaluating a Job Training Programme," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 64(4), pages 605-654.
- Marino, Marianna & Parrotta, Pierpaolo & Sala, Davide, 2010. "New Perspectives on the Evaluation of Public R&D Funding," Working Papers 11-2, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Czarnitzki, Dirk & Fier, Andreas, 2002. "Do Innovation Subsidies Crowd Out Private Investment? Evidence from the German Service Sector," ZEW Discussion Papers 02-04, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Kilponen , Juha & Santavirta, Torsten, 2007. "When do R&D subsidies boost innovation? Revisiting the inverted U-shape," Research Discussion Papers 10/2007, Bank of Finland.
- Klette, T.J. & Moen, J. & Griliches, Z., 1999. "Do Subsidies to Commercial R&D Reduce Market Failures? Microeconometric Evaluation Studies," Papers 16/99, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:6532. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.