Barriers to innovation and subsidy e¤ectiveness
This paper explores the effects of R&D commercial subsidies by means of a model of firms’ decisions about performing R&D when some government support can be expected. To estimate the parameters of interest we use an unbalanced panel sample of 1,800 performing and non-performing Spanish manufacturing firms. For the non-performing firms, we compute the trigger subsidies required to induce R&D spending (a measure of market failure). Among the performing …rms, we can detect the ones that would cease to perform R&D if subsidies were eliminated. We also explore the change in the privately financed R&D effort of the performing firms. Results support the claim that market failures are real and subsidies stimulate R&D activities, but also show that actual subsidies go to firms that would have performed R&D otherwise.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Campus de Lagoas Marcosende, s/n, 36200 VIGO|
Phone: 986 - 812500
Fax: 986 - 812401
Web page: http://webx06.webs.uvigo.es/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nelson, Forrest D., 1977. "Censored regression models with unobserved, stochastic censoring thresholds," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 309-327, November.
- Leung, Siu Fai & Yu, Shihti, 1996.
"On the choice between sample selection and two-part models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 72(1-2), pages 197-229.
- Leung, S.F. & Yu, S., 1992. "On the Choice Between Sample Selection and Two-Part Models," RCER Working Papers 337, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Klette, Tor Jakob & Moen, Jarle & Griliches, Zvi, 2000. "Do subsidies to commercial R&D reduce market failures? Microeconometric evaluation studies1," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(4-5), pages 471-495, April.
- Isabel Busom, 2000. "An Empirical Evaluation of The Effects of R&D Subsidies," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2), pages 111-148.
- Xulia Gonz·lez & Jordi Jaumandreu, "undated". "Threshold effects in product R&D decisions: theoretical framework and empirical analysis," Studies on the Spanish Economy 78, FEDEA.
- Xulia Gonz·lez & Jordi Jaumandreu, "undated". "Threshold effects in product R&D decisions: theoretical framework and empirical analysis," Studies on the Spanish Economy 45, FEDEA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vig:wpaper:0112. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Economía Aplicada)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.