Barriers to innovation and subsidy e¤ectiveness
This paper explores the effects of R&D commercial subsidies by means of a model of firms’ decisions about performing R&D when some government support can be expected. To estimate the parameters of interest we use an unbalanced panel sample of 1,800 performing and non-performing Spanish manufacturing firms. For the non-performing firms, we compute the trigger subsidies required to induce R&D spending (a measure of market failure). Among the performing …rms, we can detect the ones that would cease to perform R&D if subsidies were eliminated. We also explore the change in the privately financed R&D effort of the performing firms. Results support the claim that market failures are real and subsidies stimulate R&D activities, but also show that actual subsidies go to firms that would have performed R&D otherwise.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Campus de Lagoas Marcosende, s/n, 36200 VIGO|
Phone: 986 - 812500
Fax: 986 - 812401
Web page: http://webx06.webs.uvigo.es/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xulia Gonz·lez & Jordi Jaumandreu, .
"Threshold effects in product R&D decisions: theoretical framework and empirical analysis,"
Studies on the Spanish Economy
- Xulia Gonz·lez & Jordi Jaumandreu, . "Threshold effects in product R&D decisions: theoretical framework and empirical analysis," Studies on the Spanish Economy 78, FEDEA.
- Isabel Busom, 2000. "An Empirical Evaluation of The Effects of R&D Subsidies," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2), pages 111-148.
- Klette, Tor Jakob & Moen, Jarle & Griliches, Zvi, 2000. "Do subsidies to commercial R&D reduce market failures? Microeconometric evaluation studies1," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(4-5), pages 471-495, April.
- Nelson, Forrest D., 1977. "Censored regression models with unobserved, stochastic censoring thresholds," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 309-327, November.
- Leung, Siu Fai & Yu, Shihti, 1996.
"On the choice between sample selection and two-part models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 72(1-2), pages 197-229.
- Leung, S.F. & Yu, S., 1992. "On the Choice Between Sample Selection and Two-Part Models," RCER Working Papers 337, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vig:wpaper:0112. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patricia González Piñeiro)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.