Barriers to Innovation and Subsidy Effectiveness
We explore the effects of subsidies by means of a model of firmsï¿• decisions about performing R&D when some government support can be expected. We estimate it with data on about 2,000 performing and nonperforming Spanish manufacturing firms. We compute the subsidies required to induce R&D spending,we detect the firms that would cease to perform R&D without subsidies, and assess the change in the privately financed effort. Results suggest that subsidies stimulate R&D and some firms would stop performing in their absence,b ut most actual subsidies go to firms that would have performed R&D otherwise. We find no crowding out of private funds.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 36 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (Winter)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.rje.org |
|Order Information:||Web: https://editorialexpress.com/cgi-bin/rje_online.cgi|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nelson, Forrest D., 1977. "Censored regression models with unobserved, stochastic censoring thresholds," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 309-327, November.
- Leung, S.F. & Yu, S., 1992.
"On the Choice Between Sample Selection and Two-Part Models,"
RCER Working Papers
337, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Leung, Siu Fai & Yu, Shihti, 1996. "On the choice between sample selection and two-part models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1-2), pages 197-229.
- Isabel Busom, 2000. "An Empirical Evaluation of The Effects of R&D Subsidies," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2), pages 111-148.
- Xulia González & Jordi Jaumandreu, .
"Threshold effects in product R&D decisions: theoretical framework and empirical analysis,"
Studies on the Spanish Economy
- Xulia González & Jordi Jaumandreu, . "Threshold effects in product R&D decisions: theoretical framework and empirical analysis," Studies on the Spanish Economy 45, FEDEA.
- Klette, Tor Jakob & Moen, Jarle & Griliches, Zvi, 2000. "Do subsidies to commercial R&D reduce market failures? Microeconometric evaluation studies1," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(4-5), pages 471-495, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rje:randje:v:36:y:2005:4:p:930-949. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.