Evaluating Density Forecasts via the Copula Approach
In this paper, we develop a general approach for constructing simple tests for the correct density forecasts, or equivalently, for i.i.d. uniformity of appropriately transformed random variables. It is based on nesting a series of i.i.d. uniform random variables into a class of copula-based stationary Markov processes. As such, it can be used to test for i.i.d. uniformity against alternative processes that exhibit a wide variety of marginal properties and temporal dependence properties, including skewed and fat-tailed marginal distributions, asymmetric dependence, and positive tail dependence. In addition, we develop tests for the dependence structure of the forecasting model that are robust to possible misspecification of the marginal distribution.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2002|
|Date of revision:||Sep 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.vanderbilt.edu/econ/wparchive/index.html|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- P. Gagliardini & C. Gourieroux, 2008.
"Duration time-series models with proportional hazard,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(1), pages 74-124, 01.
- Patrick Gagliardini & Christian Gourieroux, 2002. "Duration Time Series Models with Proportional Hazard," Working Papers 2002-21, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Berkowitz, Jeremy, 2001. "Testing Density Forecasts, with Applications to Risk Management," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 19(4), pages 465-474, October.
- Elerain, Ola & Chib, Siddhartha & Shephard, Neil, 2001.
"Likelihood Inference for Discretely Observed Nonlinear Diffusions,"
Econometric Society, vol. 69(4), pages 959-993, July.
- Ola Elerian & Siddhartha Chib & Neil Shephard, 2000. "Likelihood inference for discretely observed non-linear diffusions," OFRC Working Papers Series 2000mf02, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Elerian, O. & Chib, S. & Shephard, N., 1998. "Likelihood INference for Discretely Observed Non-linear Diffusions," Economics Papers 146, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Jushan Bai, 2003. "Testing Parametric Conditional Distributions of Dynamic Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 531-549, August.
- repec:oxf:wpaper:1998-w10 is not listed on IDEAS
- Patton, Andrew J, 2001. "Modelling Time-Varying Exchange Rate Dependence Using the Conditional Copula," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt01q7j1s2, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Hong, Yongmiao & Li, Haitao, 2002. "Nonparametric specification testing for continuous-time models with application to spot interest rates," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2002,32, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Vasicek, Oldrich Alfonso, 1977. "Abstract: An Equilibrium Characterization of the Term Structure," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 627-627, November.
- Valentina Corradi & Norman R. Swanson, 2001. "Bootstrap Specification Tests with Dependent Observations and Parameter Estimation Error," Discussion Papers 0101, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:van:wpaper:0225. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.