Escalating Food Prices: The threat to poor households and policies to safeguard a Recovery for All
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Nora Lustig, 2009. "Coping with Rising Food Prices: Policy Dilemmas in the Developing World," Working Papers 2009-04, The George Washington University, Institute for International Economic Policy.
- Maros Ivanic & Will Martin, 2008. "Implications of higher global food prices for poverty in low‐income countries1," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 39(s1), pages 405-416, November.
- Ronald Mendoza & Ronald, 2010. "Inclusive Crises, Exclusive Recoveries, and Policies to Prevent a Double Whammy for the Poor," Working papers 1004, UNICEF,Division of Policy and Strategy.
- Sébastien Dessus & Santiago Herrera & Rafael De Hoyos, 2008.
"The impact of food inflation on urban poverty and its monetary cost: some back‐of‐the‐envelope calculations,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 39(s1), pages 417-429, November.
- Dessus, Sebastien & Herrera, Santiago & de Hoyos, Rafael, 2008. "The impact of food inflation on urban poverty and its monetary cost : some back-of-the-envelope calculations," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4666, The World Bank.
- Wodon, Quentin & Tsimpo, Clarence & Backiny-Yetna, Prospere & Joseph, George & Adoho, Franck & Coulombe, Harold, 2008. "Potential impact of higher food prices on poverty : summary estimates for a dozen west and central African countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4745, The World Bank.
- repec:oup:wbrobs:v:25:y:2009:i:1:p:157-176 is not listed on IDEAS
- Celia Reyes & Alellie SobrevinÃŒÆ’as & Jeremy de Jesus, 2010. "The Impact of the Global Financial Crisis on Poverty in the Philippines," Finance Working Papers 22808, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Tiwari, Sailesh & Zaman, Hassan, 2010. "The impact of economic shocks on global undernourishment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5215, The World Bank.
- Quentin Wodon & Hassan Zaman, 2010. "Higher Food Prices in Sub-Saharan Africa: Poverty Impact and Policy Responses," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 25(1), pages 157-176, February.
- Sobrevinas, Alellie B. & de Jesus, Jeremy & Reyes, Celia M., 2010. "The Impact of the Global Financial Crisis on Poverty in the Philippines," Discussion Papers DP 2010-04, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Emmanuel Asane Otoo, 2012. "Asymmetric Price Transmission between Local and Imported Rice Prices in Burkina Faso," Journal of Economics and Behavioral Studies, AMH International, vol. 4(9), pages 523-531.
- repec:unu:wpaper:wp2012-89 is not listed on IDEAS
- Arndt, Channing & Østerdal, Lars Peter & Hussain, M. Azhar, 2012. "Effects of Food Price Shocks on Child Malnutrition," WIDER Working Paper Series 089, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Min Bahadur Shrestha Ph.D. & Shashi Kant Chaudhary, 2012. "The Impact of Food Inflation on Poverty in Nepal," NRB Economic Review, Nepal Rastra Bank, Research Department, vol. 24(2), pages 1-14, October.
- Gassmann, Franziska, 2011.
"Protecting vulnerable families in Central Asia: Poverty, vulnerability and the impact of the economic crisis,"
MERIT Working Papers
042, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Franziska Gassmann, 2011. "Protecting Vulnerable Families in Central Asia: Poverty, vulnerability and the impact of the economic crisis," Papers inwopa639, Innocenti Working Papers.
- Andrews, Colin & Das, Maitreyi & Elder, John & Ovadiya, Mirey & Zampaglione, Giuseppe, 2012. "Social protection in low income countries and fragile situations : challenges and future directions," Social Protection Discussion Papers and Notes 67607, The World Bank.
- Isabel Ortiz & Matthew Cummins, 2013. "Austerity Measures in Developing Countries: Public Expenditure Trends and the Risks to Children and Women," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 55-81, July.
- Nandy, Shailen & Daoud, Adel & Gordon, David, 2016. "Examining the changing profile of undernutrition in the context of food price rises and greater inequality," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 149(C), pages 153-163.
- Aye, Goodness C., 2012. "The Long and Short Run Impacts of Food and Energy Price Shocks: Evidence from Nigeria," 2012 Conference (56th), February 7-10, 2012, Fremantle, Australia 125048, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Isabel Ortiz & Jingqing Chai & Matthew Cummins, 2011. "Identifying Fiscal Space:Options for Social and Economic Development for Children and Poor Households in 184 Countries," Working papers 1108, UNICEF,Division of Policy and Strategy.
- Arndt, Channing & Hussain, M. Azhar & Salvucci, Vincenzo & Østerdal, Lars Peter, 2016. "Effects of food price shocks on child malnutrition: The Mozambican experience 2008/2009," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 22(C), pages 1-13.
- Elena I. Ianchovichina & Josef L. Loening & Christina A. Wood, 2014.
"How Vulnerable are Arab Countries to Global Food Price Shocks?,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 50(9), pages 1302-1319, September.
- Loening, Josef L., 2011. "Middle East and North Africa Countries' Vulnerability to Commodity Price Increases," MPRA Paper 33393, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ianchovichina, Elena & Loening, Josef & Wood, Christina, 2012. "How vulnerable are Arab countries to global food price shocks ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6018, The World Bank.
- Isabel Ortiz & Matthew Cummins, 2011.
"Global Inequality: Beyond the Bottom Billion – A Rapid Review of Income Distribution in 141 Countries,"
1102, UNICEF,Division of Policy and Strategy.
- Isabel Ortiz & Matthew Cummins, 2011. "Global Inequality: Beyond the Bottom Billion – A Rapid Review of Income Distribution in 141 Countries," Working papers 1105, UNICEF,Division of Policy and Strategy.
- Arndt, Channing & Hussain, M. Azhar & Salvucci, Vincenzo & Østerdal, Lars Peter, 2015. "Effects of Food Price Shocks on Child Malnutrition: The Mozambican Experience 2008/09," DaCHE discussion papers 2015:4, University of Southern Denmark, Dache - Danish Centre for Health Economics.
- Mideros A. & Gassmann F. & Mohnen P., 2013. "Estimation of rates of return of social protection instruments. Making the case for non-contributory social transfers in Cambodia," MERIT Working Papers 063, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Isabel Ortiz & Matthew Cummins, 2012. "DESIGUALDAD GLOBAL:La distribución del ingreso en 141 países," Working papers 1104, UNICEF,Division of Policy and Strategy.
- Pierre-Emmanuel Darpeix, 2019. "Literature review on the consequences of food price spikes and price volatility," PSE Working Papers hal-02072329, HAL.
- AfDB AfDB, 2011. "MDG Report 2011 - Full Report," MDG Report 334, African Development Bank.
More about this item
Keywordsfood price; commodity price; food inflation; food crisis; supply shock; exchange rate; export ban; commodity futures; hunger; malnutrition; poverty; inequality; import bills; subsidies; tariffs; food market regulation; crisis recovery; fiscal consolidation;
- H - Public Economics
- H12 - Public Economics - - Structure and Scope of Government - - - Crisis Management
- I38 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Government Programs; Provision and Effects of Welfare Programs
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uce:wpaper:1101. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Clara Osorio) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Maria Clara Osorio to update the entry or send us the correct email address. General contact details of provider: http://www.unicef.org .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.