Identifying Fiscal Space:Options for Social and Economic Development for Children and Poor Households in 184 Countries
It is often argued that social and economic investments that benefit children and poor households are not affordable or that government expenditure cuts are inevitable during adjustment periods. But there are alternatives, even in the poorest countries. This working paper offers an array of options that can be explored to expand fiscal space. These include: (i) re-allocating public expenditures, (ii) increasing tax revenues, (iii) lobbying for increased aid and transfers, (iv) tapping into fiscal and foreign exchange reserves, (v) borrowing and restructuring existing debt, and /or (vi) adpoting a more accommodative macroeconomic framework. To serve as a general advocacy resource, the annex provides a summary of the latest fiscal space indicators for 184 countries.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +1 212 326 7000
Fax: +1 212 888 7454
Web page: http://www.unicef.org
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.unicef.org/publications/socialpolicy|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raphael A. Espinoza & Ananthakrishnan Prasad & H. L. Leon, 2010. "Estimating the Inflation-Growth Nexus; A Smooth Transition Model," IMF Working Papers 10/76, International Monetary Fund.
- Isabel Ortiz & Matthew Cummins, 2011.
"Global Inequality: Beyond the Bottom Billion – A Rapid Review of Income Distribution in 141 Countries,"
1105, UNICEF,Division of Policy and Strategy.
- Isabel Ortiz & Matthew Cummins, 2011. "Global Inequality: Beyond the Bottom Billion – A Rapid Review of Income Distribution in 141 Countries," Working papers 1102, UNICEF,Division of Policy and Strategy.
- Richard C.K. Burdekin & Arthur T. Denzau & Manfred W. Keil & Thitithep Sitthiyot & Thomas D. Willett, .
"When Does Inflation Hurt Economic Growth? Different Nonlinearities for Different Economies,"
Claremont Colleges Working Papers
2000-22, Claremont Colleges.
- Burdekin, Richard C.K. & Denzau, Arthur T. & Keil, Manfred W. & Sitthiyot, Thitithep & Willett, Thomas D., 2004. "When does inflation hurt economic growth? Different nonlinearities for different economies," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 519-532, September.
- Eduardo Lora & Mauricio Olivera, 2006.
"Public Debt and Social Expenditure: Friends or Foes?,"
Research Department Publications
4465, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Lora, Eduardo & Olivera, Mauricio, 2007. "Public debt and social expenditure: Friends or foes?," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 299-310, December.
- Eduardo Lora & Mauricio Olivera, 2006. "Public Debt and Social Expenditure: Friends or Foes?," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 43578, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Stephanie Kremer & Alexander Bick & Dieter Nautz, 2013.
"Inflation and growth: new evidence from a dynamic panel threshold analysis,"
Springer, vol. 44(2), pages 861-878, April.
- Kremer, Stephanie & Bick, Alexander & Nautz, Dieter, 2009. "Inflation and growth: new evidence from a dynamic panel threshold analysis," Discussion Papers 2009/9, Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics.
- Stephanie Kremer & Alexander Bick & Dieter Nautz, 2009. "Inflation and Growth: New Evidence From a Dynamic Panel Threshold Analysis," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2009-036, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Ardeshir Sepehri & Saeed Moshiri, 2004. "Inflation-Growth Profiles Across Countries: Evidence from Developing and Developed Countries," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(2), pages 191-207.
- Max Gillman & Mark N. Harris & László Mátyás, 2004. "Inflation and growth: Explaining a negative effect," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 149-167, January.
- Ugo Panizza, 2008. "Domestic And External Public Debt In Developing Countries," UNCTAD Discussion Papers 188, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Dilip Ratha, 2006. "Leveraging remittances for development," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, pages 173-185.
- Emmanuel Frot & Javier Santiso, 2009.
"Herding in Aid Allocation,"
OECD Development Centre Working Papers
279, OECD Publishing.
- Andrea Vaona & Stefano Schiavo, 2006.
"Nonparametric and semiparametric evidence on the long-run effects of inflation on growth,"
Sciences Po publications
No. 1286, Sciences Po.
- Vaona, A. & Schiavo, S., 2007. "Nonparametric and semiparametric evidence on the long-run effects of inflation on growth," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 94(3), pages 452-458, March.
- Andrea Vaona & Stefano Schiavo, 2006. "Nonparametric and Semiparametric Evidence on the Long-Run Effects of Inflation on Growth," Kiel Working Papers 1286, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Andrea Vaona & Stefano Schiavo, 2005. "Nonparametric and semiparametric evidence on the long-run effects of inflation on growth," Department of Economics Working Papers 0520, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Yohane Khamfula & Montfort Mlachila & Ephraim Chirwa, 2007. "Donor herding and domestic debt crisis," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(4), pages 299-302.
- Gylfason, Thorvaldur & Herbertsson, Tryggvi Thor, 1996.
"Does Inflation Matter for Growth?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1503, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Isabel Ortiz & Matthew Cummins, 2011. "Austerity Measures Threaten Children and Poor Households: Recent Evidence in Public Expenditures from 128 Developing Countries," Working papers 1107, UNICEF,Division of Policy and Strategy.
- Isabel Ortiz & Jingqing Chai & Matthew Cummins, 2011. "Escalating Food Prices: The threat to poor households and policies to safeguard a Recovery for All," Working papers 1101, UNICEF,Division of Policy and Strategy.
- Kevin Gallagher & Roberto Porzecanski, 2009. "China and the Latin America Commodities Boom: A Critical Assessment," Working Papers wp192, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Isabel Ortiz, 2007. "Social Policy," Policy Notes 6, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs.
- Rob Gregory & Christian Henn & Brad Mcdonald & Mika Saito, 2010. "Trade And The Crisis: Protect Or Recover," Journal of International Commerce, Economics and Policy (JICEP), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 1(02), pages 165-181.
- Dang, Hai-Anh & Knack, Stephen & Rogers, F. Halsey, 2013.
"International aid and financial crises in donor countries,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 232-250.
- Dang, Hai-Anh & Knack, Steve & Rogers, Halsey, 2009. "International aid and financial crises in donor countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5162, The World Bank.
- Bick, Alexander, 2010. "Threshold effects of inflation on economic growth in developing countries," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 126-129, August.
- Ephraim W. Chirwa & Montfort Mlachila & Yohane Anthony Khamfula, 2006. "Donor Herding and Domestic Debt Crisis," IMF Working Papers 06/109, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uce:wpaper:1108. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Clara Osorio)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.