Nonparametric and semiparametric evidence on the long-run effects of inflation on growth
Two major findings of the empirical literature on the connec tion between inflation and output growth is that their relationship is non linear and that there exists a threshold inflation level be low which inflation has a positive impact on growth and above which inflation has a negative impact on growth. In this paper we adopt both a nonparametric estimator and a semiparametric IV one to show that the first finding holds true even dropping the specification assumptions typical of parametric models. We also show that a threshold level does exist and it is around 12% for developed countries. Below this level inflation does not appear to have any substantial effect on growth.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.unitn.it/deco
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Atish R. Ghosh & Steven Phillips, 1998. "Inflation, Disinflation, and Growth," IMF Working Papers 98/68, International Monetary Fund.
- Gylfason, Thorvaldur & Herbertsson, Tryggvi Thor, 2001.
"Does inflation matter for growth?,"
Japan and the World Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 405-428, December.
- Temple, Jonathan, 2000. " Inflation and Growth: Stories Short and Tall," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(4), pages 395-426, September.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521355643 is not listed on IDEAS
- Max Gillman & Mark N. Harris & László Mátyás, 2004. "Inflation and growth: Explaining a negative effect," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 149-167, January.
- Robinson, Peter M, 1988. "Root- N-Consistent Semiparametric Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(4), pages 931-54, July.
- Stanley Fischer, 1993.
"The Role of Macroeconomic Factors in Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
4565, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Judson, Ruth & Orphanides, Athanasios, 1999.
"Inflation, Volatility and Growth,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(1), pages 117-38, April.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521586115 is not listed on IDEAS
- Anthony Philip Thirlwall & A.C. Barton, 1971.
"Inflation and growth: the international evidence,"
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review,
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 24(98), pages 263-275.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Levine, Ross, 1999. "A new database on financial development and structure," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2146, The World Bank.
- Michael Sarel, 1996. "Nonlinear Effects of Inflation on Economic Growth," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 43(1), pages 199-215, March.
- A. Senhadji Semlali & Mohsin S. Khan, 2000.
"Threshold Effects in the Relationship Between Inflation and Growth,"
IMF Working Papers
00/110, International Monetary Fund.
- By Mohsin S. Khan & Abdelhak S. Senhadji, 2001. "Threshold Effects in the Relationship Between Inflation and Growth," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(1), pages 1.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3125518 is not listed on IDEAS
- Park, Sangin, 2003. "Semiparametric instrumental variables estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 381-399, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:trn:utwpde:0520. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luciano Andreozzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.