How is disaster aid allocated within poor villages?
How disaster aid is allocated within poor villages is little understood. This paper examines risk-sharing institutions and social hierarchies as village self-allocation mechanisms. Original survey data from Fiji contain rich information about cyclone damage, traditional kin status, and aid allocations over post-disaster phases, at both household and kin-group levels. The paper shows under what conditions the performance of targeting aid to victims can significantly differ from overall risk-sharing outcomes determined by private transfers and aid (i.e., targeting gap). Elite domination can occur not only in aid allocation independent of damage, but also in targeting on damage (i.e., targeting bias).
|Date of creation:||May 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1-1-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8571|
Web page: http://www.econ.tsukuba.ac.jp/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jayne, Thomas S. & Strauss, John & Yamano, Takashi & Molla, Daniel, 2002.
"Targeting of food aid in rural Ethiopia: chronic need or inertia?,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 247-288, August.
- Jayne, Thomas S. & Strauss, John & Yamano, Takashi & Molla, Daniel, 2000. "Targeting Of Food Aid in Rural Ethiopia: Chronic Need or Inertia?," Food Security International Development Papers 54048, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Yasuyuki Sawada & Satoshi Shimizutani, 2008. "How Do People Cope with Natural Disasters? Evidence from the Great Hanshin-Awaji (Kobe) Earthquake in 1995," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 40(2-3), pages 463-488, 03.
- Stefan Dercon & Pramila Krishnan, 2003.
"Food aid and informal insurance,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2003-01, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Dercon, Stefan & Krishnan, Pramila, 2003. "Food Aid and Informal Insurance," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Stefan Dercon & Pramila Krishnan, 2004. "Food Aid and Informal Insurance," Development and Comp Systems 0409026, EconWPA.
- Stefan Dercon & Pramila Krishnan, 2003. "Food Aid and Informal Insurance," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2003-01, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Attanasio, Orazio & Rios-Rull, Jose-Victor, 2000. "Consumption smoothing in island economies: Can public insurance reduce welfare?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(7), pages 1225-1258, June.
- J-P. Platteau & A. Abraham, 2002. "Participatory Development in the Presence of Endogenous Community Imperfections," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(2), pages 104-136.
- Conning, Jonathan & Kevane, Michael, 2002. "Community-Based Targeting Mechanisms for Social Safety Nets: A Critical Review," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 375-394, March.
- Bardhan, Pranab & Mookherjee, Dilip, 2006.
"Pro-poor targeting and accountability of local governments in West Bengal,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 303-327, April.
- Pranab Bardhan & Dilip Mookherjee, 2006. "Pro-Poor Targeting and Accountability of Local Governments in West Bengal," Working Papers id:773, eSocialSciences.
- Pranab Bardhan & Dilip Mookherjee, 2003. "Pro-Poor Targeting and Accountability of Local Governments in West Bengal," Boston University - Department of Economics - The Institute for Economic Development Working Papers Series dp-138, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Bet Caeyers & Stefan Dercon, 2012.
"Political Connections and Social Networks in Targeted Transfer Programs: Evidence from Rural Ethiopia,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 60(4), pages 639 - 675.
- Stefan Dercon & Bet Caeyers, 2008. "Political Connections and Social Networks in Targeted Transfer Programmes: Evidence from Rural Ethiopia," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2008-33, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Bet Caeyers & Stefan Dercon, 2008. "Political Connections and Social Networks in Targeted Transfer Programmes: Evidence from Rural Ethiopia," CSAE Working Paper Series 2008-33, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Caeyers, Bet & Dercon, Stefan, 2012. "Political Connections and Social Networks in Targeted Transfer Programs: Evidence from Rural Ethiopia," CEPR Discussion Papers 8860, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mansuri, Ghazala & Rao, Vijayendra, 2004.
"Community-based (and driven) development : A critical review,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3209, The World Bank.
- Ghazala Mansuri, 2004. "Community-Based and -Driven Development: A Critical Review," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 19(1), pages 1-39.
- Yoshito Takasaki, 2011.
"Do Local Elites Capture Natural Disaster Reconstruction Funds?,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(9), pages 1281-1298, May.
- Yoshito Takasaki, 2009. "Do Local Elites Capture Natural Disaster Reconstruction Funds?," Tsukuba Economics Working Papers 2009-012, Economics, Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Tsukuba.
- Mozumder, Pallab & Bohara, Alok K. & Berrens, Robert P. & Halim, Nafisa, 2009. "Private transfers to cope with a natural disaster: evidence from Bangladesh," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(02), pages 187-210, April.
- Samia Amin & Markus Goldstein, 2008. "Data Against Natural Disasters : Establishing Effective Systems for Relief, Recovery, and Reconstruction," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6511.
- Morris, Saul S. & Wodon, Quentin, 2003. "The Allocation of Natural Disaster Relief Funds: Hurricane Mitch in Honduras," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1279-1289, July.
- Galasso, Emanuela & Ravallion, Martin, 2005. "Decentralized targeting of an antipoverty program," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(4), pages 705-727, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tsu:tewpjp:2011-004. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yoshinori Kurokawa)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.