Modeling acreage decisions within the multinomial Logit framework
The Multinomial Logit (MNL) framework has been used in the agricultural production economics literature to model acreage share choices, crop decisions or land use decisions. This article extends the pioneering works of Caswell and Zilberman (1985) and of Wu and Segerson (1995) by developing further the theoretical background of the MNL acreage share models. Two approaches are considered: the “cost function approach” and the “discrete choice approach”. It is then shown that MNL acreage share models can be used to define simple multi-crop econometric models with land as an allocatable fixed input. Finally several generalizations of the standard MNL acreage share model are proposed.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.rennes.inra.fr/smart_eng/Working-Papers-SMART-LERECO|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ackerberg, Daniel & Lanier Benkard, C. & Berry, Steven & Pakes, Ariel, 2007. "Econometric Tools for Analyzing Market Outcomes," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 6, chapter 63 Elsevier.
- Rulon D. Pope & Richard E. Just, 2003. "Distinguishing Errors in Measurement from Errors in Optimization," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(2), pages 348-358.
- Asunka, Samuel & Shumway, C. Richard, 1996. "Allocatable Fixed Inputs And Jointness In Agricultural Production: More Implications," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 25(2), October.
- Thomas Heckelei & Hendrik Wolff, 2003. "Estimation of constrained optimisation models for agricultural supply analysis based on generalised maximum entropy," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 30(1), pages 27-50, March.
- Moore, Michael R. & Negri, Donald H., 1992. "A Multicrop Production Model Of Irrigated Agriculture, Applied To Water Allocation Policy Of The Bureau Of Reclamation," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 17(01), July.
- Rust, John, 1987. "Optimal Replacement of GMC Bus Engines: An Empirical Model of Harold Zurcher," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(5), pages 999-1033, September.
- Verboven, Frank, 1996. "The nested logit model and representative consumer theory," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 57-63, January.
- Alfons Oude Lansink & Spiro Stefanou, 2001. "Dynamic Area Allocation and Economies of Scale and Scope," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(3), pages 38-52.
- Treadway, Arthur B, 1971. "The Rational Multivariate Flexible Accelerator," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(5), pages 845-55, September.
- Lubowski, Ruben N. & Plantinga, Andrew J. & Stavins, Robert N., 2006.
"Land-use change and carbon sinks: Econometric estimation of the carbon sequestration supply function,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 135-152, March.
- Lubowski, Ruben & Plantinga, Andrew & Stavins, Robert, 2005. "Land-Use Change and Carbon Sinks: Econometric Estimation of the Carbon Sequestration Supply Function," Working Paper Series rwp05-001, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Steven T. Berry, 1994. "Estimating Discrete-Choice Models of Product Differentiation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 25(2), pages 242-262, Summer.
- Mundlak, Yair, 1978. "On the Pooling of Time Series and Cross Section Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 69-85, January.
- Quirino Paris & Richard E. Howitt, 1998. "An Analysis of Ill-Posed Production Problems Using Maximum Entropy," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(1), pages 124-138.
- Just, Richard E. & Pope, Rulon D., 2001. "The agricultural producer: Theory and statistical measurement," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 12, pages 629-741 Elsevier.
- Livingston, Michael J. & Roberts, Michael J. & Rust, John, 2008. "Optimal Corn and Soybean Rotations," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6213, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Ottmar R�hm & Stephan Dabbert, 2003. "Integrating Agri-Environmental Programs into Regional Production Models: An Extension of Positive Mathematical Programming," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(1), pages 254-265.
- Alban Thomas, 2003. "A dynamic model of on-farm integrated nitrogen management," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 30(4), pages 439-460, December.
- Theil, Henri, 1969. "A Multinomial Extension of the Linear Logit Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 10(3), pages 251-59, October.
- Considine, Timothy J & Mount, Timothy D, 1984. "The Use of Linear Logit Models for Dynamic Input Demand Systems," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 66(3), pages 434-43, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rae:wpaper:200917. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne Chauvel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.