The Economic Determinants of the On-farm Management of Rice Cultivars in the Rhone River Delta (France)
The aims of our paper are to identify economic determinants of the on-farm cultivars diversity and to empirically characterize the farmers' diversification choices. We focus on the private decision making process involving the choice of rice cultivars and the corresponding allocation of farmland. For a specific crop, the choice of cultivars, and the resulting cultivars portfolio, involves the farmer comparing benefits and costs. Among the many costs involved, we focus on diversity's management costs. Our results rely on original data collected during the spring 2009 in the study area, and involve a sample of 86 economic units growing rice. We estimated a count data model, in which the endogeneous variable is the number of cultivars grown on the farm. After that, we studied the factors explaining the portfolio choice in terms of commercial rice grain, and the on-farm repartition between these different types. A multinomial logit model was used, with three alternatives, be specialized into a particular type of rice grain (long or round), or grow simultaneously these two types, or finally be diversified with niche market varieties. And finally we estimated the percentage of long rice compared to the percentage of round rice with a linear regression model. The results confirm the importance of the interactions between market related benefit and the management constraints on land and labor.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.nzares.org.nz/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Derek Byerlee & Edward Souza, 1997. "Wheat Rusts and the Costs of Genetic Diversity in the Punjab of Pakistan," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 726-737.
- Jaeck, Melanie & Lifran, Robert, 2009.
"Preferences, Norms and Constraints in farmers' agro-ecological choices. Case study using a choice experiments survey in the Rhone River Delta, France,"
2009 Conference (53rd), February 11-13, 2009, Cairns, Australia
47948, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Mélanie Jaeck & Robert Lifran, 2009. "Preferences, Norms and Constraints in farmers' agro-ecological choices. Case study using choice experiments survey in the Rhone River Delta, France," Working Papers 09-16, LAMETA, Universtiy of Montpellier, revised Dec 2009.
- Livingston, Michael J. & Roberts, Michael J. & Rust, John, 2008. "Optimal Corn and Soybean Rotations," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6213, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Alain Carpentier & Elodie Letort, 2009. "Modeling acreage decisions within the multinomial Logit framework," Working Papers SMART - LERECO 09-17, INRA UMR SMART.
- Smale, Melinda & Singh, Joginder & Di Falco, Salvatore & Zambrano, Patricia, .
"Wheat breeding, productivity and slow variety change: evidence from the Punjab of India after the Green Revolution,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Melinda Smale & Joginder Singh & Salvatore Di Falco & Patricia Zambrano, 2008. "Wheat breeding, productivity and slow variety change: evidence from the Punjab of India after the Green Revolution ," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 52(4), pages 419-432, December.
- Adesina, Akinwumi A. & Sanders, John H., 1991. "Peasant farmer behavior and cereal technologies: Stochastic programming analysis in Niger," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 5(1), pages 21-38, January.
- Ambec, Stefan & Langinier, Corinne & Lemarie, Stephane, 2008. "AJAE Appendix: Incentives to Reduce Crop Trait Durability," American Journal of Agricultural Economics Appendices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(2), May.
- Mouron, Patrik & Scholz, Roland W. & Nemecek, Thomas & Weber, Olaf, 2006. "Life cycle management on Swiss fruit farms: Relating environmental and income indicators for apple-growing," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 561-578, June.
- Adesina, Akinwumi A. & Sanders, John H., 1991. "Peasant farmer behavior and cereal technologies: Stochastic programming analysis in Niger," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 5(1), January.
- Panzar, John C & Willig, Robert D, 1981. "Economies of Scope," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(2), pages 268-72, May.
- Park, Timothy A. & Florkowski, Wojciech J., 2003. "Selection of Peach Varieties and the Role of Quality Attributes," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(01), April.
- Conway, Gordon R., 1987. "The properties of agroecosystems," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 95-117.
- Latha Nagarajan & Melinda Smale & Paul Glewwe, 2007. "Determinants of millet diversity at the household-farm and village-community levels in the drylands of India: the role of local seed systems," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 36(2), pages 157-167, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:nzar11:115508. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.