Modelling embedded risk in peasant agriculture: methodological insights from northern Malawi
Using a linear-programming model of farming systems in northern Malawi, the conditions under which peasant farmhousehold models may need to allow for embedded risk are investigated. Tactical, sequential responses to uncertainty are found to be more important to labour-scarce households with limited access to capital and to credit markets. Compared with semi-sequential programming, discrete stochastic programming (DSP) provided more efficient solutions for problems involving embedded risk. There may be intuitive advantages in presenting results from DSP models in terms of a semisequential strategy. © 1999 Elsevier Science B.V. All rights reserved.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Torkamani, Javad & Hardaker, J. Brian, 1996. "A study of economic efficiency of Iranian farmers in Ramjerd district: an application of stochastic programming," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 14(2), pages 73-83, July.
- Haddad, Lawrence, 1994. "Strengthening food policy through intrahousehold analysis," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 347-356, August.
- Harry M. Kaiser & Jeffrey Apland, 1989. "DSSP: A Model of Production and Marketing Decisions on a Midwestern Crop Farm," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 11(2), pages 157-169.
- Kingwell, Ross S. & Pannell, David J. & Robinson, Stephen D., 1993.
"Tactical responses to seasonal conditions in whole-farm planning in Western Australia,"
Blackwell, vol. 8(3), pages 211-226, March.
- Kingwell, Ross S. & Pannell, David J. & Robinson, Stephen D., 1993. "Tactical responses to seasonal conditions in whole-farm planning in Western Australia," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 8(3), March.
- Torkamani, Javad & Hardaker, J. Brian, 1996. "A study of economic efficiency of Iranian farmers in Ramjerd district: an application of stochastic programming," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 14(2), July.
- Dorward, Andrew, 1994. "Farm Planning with Resource Uncertainty: A Semi-sequential Approach," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 21(2), pages 309-24.
- Dorward, A. R., 1996. "Modelling diversity, change and uncertainty in peasant agriculture in northern Malawi," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 469-486, August.
- A. Dorward, 1991. "Integrated Decision Rules As Farm Management Tools In Smallholder Agriculture In Malawi," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 146-159.
- Hans Binswanger, 1980. "Attitudes toward risk: Experimental measurement in rural india," Artefactual Field Experiments 00009, The Field Experiments Website.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Kristjanson, Patricia M. & Matlon, Peter, 1991. "On the role of information in decision making : The case of sorghum yield in Burkina Faso," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 261-280, April.
- Shapiro, B. I. & Sanders, J. H. & Reddy, K. C. & Baker, T. G., 1993. "Evaluating and adapting new technologies in a high-risk agricultural system--Niger," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 42(1-2), pages 153-171.
- Hardaker, J. Brian & Pandey, Sushil & Patten, Louise H., 1991. "Farm Planning under Uncertainty: A Review of Alternative Programming Models," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 59(01), April.
- Kingwell, R. S. & Morrison, D. A. & Bathgate, A. D., 1992. "The effect of climatic risk on dryland farm management," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 153-175.
- Corbett, Jane, 1988. "Famine and household coping strategies," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 16(9), pages 1099-1112, September.
- K. D. Cocks, 1968. "Discrete Stochastic Programming," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 15(1), pages 72-79, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:agecon:v:21:y:1999:i:2:p:191-203. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.