Le calcul de la valeur statistique d'une vie humaine
[Estimation of statistical value of life]
Our society faces many risks that affect human life. Cost-benefit analysis is a very popular project-evaluation tool for reducing these social risks. The government has to set projects or regulations whose benefits will outweigh costs. It is quite easy to evaluate costs but how to evaluate the benefits linked to protecting human life? Since the 1970s, many values of life have been estimated with different methods. The wide variability of the results range from 0,5 million up to 50 million ($US, 2000). The main goal of this study is to analyze the source of this variability in results. We also want to determine a reasonable value for public decision making.
|Date of creation:||09 Nov 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in L'Actualité économique 4.86(2010): pp. 487-530|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jingyuan Li & Georges Dionne, 2010.
"The Impact of Prudence on Optimal Prevention Revisited,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Dionne, Georges & Li, Jingyuan, 2011. "The impact of prudence on optimal prevention revisited," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 113(2), pages 147-149.
- Paul Leigh, J., 1987. "Gender, firm size, industry, and estimates of the value-of-life," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 255-273, September.
- Thomas J. Kniesner & W. Kip Viscusi & Christopher Woock & James P. Ziliak, 2006.
"Pinning Down the Value of Statistical Life,"
Center for Policy Research Working Papers
85, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Bommier, Antoine & Villeneuve, Bertrand, 2008.
"Risk Aversion and the Value of Risk to Life,"
11943, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Antoine Bommier & Bertrand Villeneuve, 2004. "Risk Aversion and the Value of Risk to Life," CESifo Working Paper Series 1267, CESifo Group Munich.
- Villeneuve, Bertrand & Bommier, Antoine, 2012. "Risk Aversion and the Value of Risk to Life," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/4812, Paris Dauphine University.
- Antoine Bommier & Bertrand Villeneuve, 2010. "Risk Aversion and the Value of Risk to Life," CER-ETH Economics working paper series 10/133, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Wagstaff, Adam, 1991. "QALYs and the equity-efficiency trade-off," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 21-41, May.
- Milton C. Weinstein & Donald S. Shepard & Joseph S. Pliskin, 1980. "The Economic Value of Changing Mortality Probabilities: A Decision-Theoretic Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 94(2), pages 373-396.
- Bowland, Brad J. & Beghin, John C., 2001.
"Robust Estimates of Value of a Statistical Life for Developing Economies,"
Staff General Research Papers
5196, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Bowland, Bradley J. & Beghin, John C., 2001. "Robust estimates of value of a statistical life for developing economies," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 385-396, May.
- Friedrich Breyer & Stefan Felder, 2005.
"Mortality Risk and the Value of a Statistical Life: The Dead-Anyway Effect Revis(it)ed,"
The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance Theory,
Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 41-55, June.
- Friedrich Breyer & Stefan Felder, 2005. "Mortality Risk and the Value of a Statistical Life: The Dead-Anyway Effect Revis(it)ed," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 30(1), pages 41-55, June.
- W. Kip Viscusi & Joseph E. Aldy, 2003.
"The Value of a Statistical Life: A Critical Review of Market Estimates throughout the World,"
NBER Working Papers
9487, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Viscusi, W Kip & Aldy, Joseph E, 2003. " The Value of a Statistical Life: A Critical Review of Market Estimates throughout the World," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 5-76, August.
- John Weicher, 1996. "The Distribution of Wealth," Books, American Enterprise Institute, number 650823, 2.
- Kaïs Dachraoui & Georges Dionne & Louis Eeckhoudt & Philippe Godfroid, 2004.
"Comparative Mixed Risk Aversion: Definition and Application to Self-Protection and Willingness to Pay,"
Journal of Risk and Uncertainty,
Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 261-276, December.
- DACHRAOUI, KaÃ¯s & DIONNE, Georges & EECKHOUDT, Louis & GODFROID, Philippe, . "Comparative mixed risk aversion: definition and application to self-protection and willingness to pay," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1835, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Sandy, Robert & Elliott, Robert F, 1996. "Unions and Risk: Their Impact on the Level of Compensation for Fatal Risk," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 63(250), pages 291-309, May.
- Bellavance, Franois & Dionne, Georges & Lebeau, Martin, 2009.
"The value of a statistical life: A meta-analysis with a mixed effects regression model,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 444-464, March.
- François Bellavance & Georges Dionne & Martin Lebeau, 2006. "The Value of a Statistical Life: a Meta-Analysis with a Mixed Effects Regression Model," Cahiers de recherche 0646, CIRPEE.
- EECKHOUDT, Louis & HAMMITT, James, .
"Does risk aversion increase the value of mortality risk?,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1698, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Eeckhoudt, Louis R. & Hammitt, James K., 2004. "Does risk aversion increase the value of mortality risk?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 13-29, January.
- repec:reg:rpubli:282 is not listed on IDEAS
- Janusz R. Mrozek & Laura O. Taylor, 2002. "What determines the value of life? a meta-analysis," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(2), pages 253-270.
- L. Eeckhoudt & C. Gollier, 2005.
"The impact of prudence on optimal prevention,"
- Liu, Jin-Tan & Hammitt, James K. & Liu, Jin-Long, 1997. "Estimated hedonic wage function and value of life in a developing country," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 353-358, December.
- repec:reg:rpubli:140 is not listed on IDEAS
- Garen, John, 1988. "Compensating Wage Differentials and the Endogeneity of Job Riskiness," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(1), pages 9-16, February.
- Blomquist, Glenn C, 1979. "Value of Life Saving: Implications of Consumption Activity," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(3), pages 540-58, June.
- Dachraoui, K. & Dionne, G. & Eeckhoudt, L. & Godfroid, P., 2000. "Comparative Mixed Risk Aversion," Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales de Montreal- 00-10, Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales de Montreal-Chaire de gestion des risques..
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:37573. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.