The Impact of Prudence on Optimal Prevention Revisited
This paper re-examines the link between absolute prudence and self-protection activities. We show that the level of effort chosen by a prudent agent is larger than the optimal effort chosen by a risk-neutral agent if and only if the degree of absolute prudence is less than a threshold that is utility-independent. We explain this threshold by a trade-off between the variation of the variance and the level of the third moment of the loss distribution. We also discuss our result in terms of skewness. Our contribution extends the model of Eeckhoudt and Gollier (2005).
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CP 8888, succursale Centre-Ville, Montréal, QC H3C 3P8|
Phone: (514) 987-8161
Web page: http://www.cirpee.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kaïs Dachraoui & Georges Dionne & Louis Eeckhoudt & Philippe Godfroid, 2004.
"Comparative Mixed Risk Aversion: Definition and Application to Self-Protection and Willingness to Pay,"
Journal of Risk and Uncertainty,
Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 261-276, December.
- DACHRAOUI, Kaïs & DIONNE, Georges & EECKHOUDT, Louis & GODFROID, Philippe, "undated". "Comparative mixed risk aversion: definition and application to self-protection and willingness to pay," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1835, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Dionne, Georges & Li, Jingyuan, 2011.
"The impact of prudence on optimal prevention revisited,"
Elsevier, vol. 113(2), pages 147-149.
- Jingyuan Li & Georges Dionne, 2010. "The Impact of Prudence on Optimal Prevention Revisited," Cahiers de recherche 1024, CIRPEE.
- Bruno Jullien & Bernard Salanié & François Salanié, 1998.
"Should More Risk-Averse Agents Exert More Effort,"
98-12, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Dionne, G. & Eeckhoudt, L., 1984.
"Self-Insurance, Self-Protection and Increased Risk Aversion,"
Cahiers de recherche
8424, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Dionne, Georges & Eeckhoudt, Louis, 1985. "Self-insurance, self-protection and increased risk aversion," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 17(1-2), pages 39-42.
- DIONNE, George & EECKHOUDT, Louis, "undated". "Self-insurance, self-protection and increased risk aversion," CORE Discussion Papers RP 623, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- L. Eeckhoudt & J. Etner & F. Schroyen, 2009.
"The values of relative risk aversion and prudence: a context-free interpretation,"
- Eeckhoudt, Louis & Etner, Johanna & Schroyen, Fred, 2009. "The values of relative risk aversion and prudence: A context-free interpretation," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 1-7, July.
- EECKHOUDT, Louis & ETNER, Johanna & SCHROYEN, Fred, "undated". "The values of relative risk aversion and prudence: A context-free interpretation," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2162, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Miles S. Kimball, 1989.
"Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large,"
NBER Working Papers
2848, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kimball, Miles S, 1990. "Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 53-73, January.
- Wang, Jianli & Li, Jingyuan, 2010. "Multiplicative risk apportionment," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 79-81, July.
- L. Eeckhoudt & C. Gollier, 2005.
"The impact of prudence on optimal prevention,"
- Ehrlich, Isaac & Becker, Gary S, 1972. "Market Insurance, Self-Insurance, and Self-Protection," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(4), pages 623-648, July-Aug..
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lvl:lacicr:1024. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Manuel Paradis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.