Teacher Pay, Class Size and Local Governments: Evidence from the Latvian Reform
This paper employs a rich collection of survey and administrative datasets, including linked school-teacher payroll data, to document the reform of teacher compensation and school network implemented in Latvia amidst the economic crisis of 2008-2010, immediately after territorial reform. We explore diverse responses by local governments in terms of proportion of state subsidy transferred to schools, extent of redistribution of state funds between schools, degree of autonomy in compensation policies given to schools, and municipal contribution to school wage bills. Other things equal, municipalities tend to redistribute funds from schools with high student-teacher ratio (S/T) to ones with low S/T. Nevertheless, the reform has changed the effect of the local student-teacher ratio on teacher earnings per workload from negative to positive of the same size. Survived schools feature strong heterogeneity in terms of workload and staff reduction, change in class size, and compensation strategies. We provide evidence for a substantial incidence of using performance-related criteria for teacher base salary differentiation. We analyze school and individual level determinants of teacher pay using mixed models with municipality and school level random effects.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Victor Lavy, 2010. "Effects of Free Choice Among Public Schools," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 77(3), pages 1164-1191.
- Gibbons, Steve & Machin, Stephen & Silva, Olmo, 2006.
"Choice, Competition and Pupil Achievement,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2214, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Billger, Sherrilyn M., 2010. "Demographics, Fiscal Health, and School Quality: Shedding Light on School Closure Decisions," IZA Discussion Papers 4739, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Patrick J. Bayer & Robert McMillan, 2010. "Choice and Competition in Education Markets," Working Papers 10-47, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Baicker, Katherine & Gordon, Nora, 2006. "The effect of state education finance reform on total local resources," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(8-9), pages 1519-1535, September.
- Nora Gordon & Brian Knight, 2008. "The Effects of School District Consolidation on Educational Cost and Quality," Public Finance Review, , vol. 36(4), pages 408-430, July.
- Peter Friedrich & Janno Reiljan, 2010. "Strategies In The Fiscal Reform Of Estonian General Education," University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series 73, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp5291. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.