An Analysis of Eurobonds
We analyse different forms of international debt mutualisation in a simple framework with a political distortion and (partial) default under adverse economic circumstances. One form is a debt repayment guarantee, which can be "unlimited" or "limited", i.e. only be invoked when the guarantee threshold is not exceeded. We also explore the "blue-red" bonds proposal, under which blue debt is guaranteed by the other countries in a union, while red debt is not guaranteed. Only a suitably chosen limited guarantee induces the government to reduce debt and raises social welfare. Making the guarantee also conditional on sufficient structural reform may stimulate reform effort. However, now a trade-off exists between extracting more reform and inducing the government to limit debt issuance.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alex Cukierman & Sebastian Edwards & Guido Tabellini, 1989.
"Seigniorage and Political Instability,"
NBER Working Papers
3199, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:oup:restud:v:57:y:1990:i:3:p:403-14 is not listed on IDEAS
- Philip R. Lane, 2012. "The European Sovereign Debt Crisis," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 26(3), pages 49-68, Summer.
- Ashoka Mody & Stijn Claessens & Shahin VallÃ©e, 2012.
"Paths to Eurobonds,"
IMF Working Papers
12/172, International Monetary Fund.
- Juan Carlos Hatchondo & Francisco Roch & Leonardo Martinez, 2012.
"Fiscal Rules and the Sovereign Default Premium,"
IMF Working Papers
12/30, International Monetary Fund.
- Juan Carlos Hatchondo & Leonardo Martinez & Francisco Roch, 2012. "Fiscal rules and the sovereign default premium," Working Paper 12-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Juan Carlos Hatchondo & Leonardo Martinez & Francisco Roch, 2015. "Fiscal rules and the Sovereign Default Premium," Caepr Working Papers 2015-010 Classification-F, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
- Jakob von Weizsäcker & Jacques Delpla, 2010. "The Blue Bond Proposal," Policy Briefs 403, Bruegel.
- Tabellini, Guido & Alesina, Alberto, 1990. "A Positive Theory of Fiscal Deficits and Government Debt," Scholarly Articles 3612769, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Claessens, Stijn & Diwan, Ishac, 1990. "Investment Incentives: New Money, Debt Relief, and the Critical Role of Conditionality in the Debt Crisis," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 4(1), pages 21-41, January.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Keith Kuester & André Meier & Gernot J. Müller, 2013.
"Sovereign Risk, Fiscal Policy, and Macroeconomic Stability,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 0, pages F99-F132, 02.
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Kuester, Keith & Meier, André & Müller, Gernot, 2012. "Sovereign Risk, Fiscal Policy, and Macroeconomic Stability," CEPR Discussion Papers 8779, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Keith Kuester & Gernot J. Mueller & Giancarlo Corsetti & AndrÃ© Meier, 2012. "Sovereign Risk, Fiscal Policy, and Macroeconomic Stability," IMF Working Papers 12/33, International Monetary Fund.
- Calvo, Guillermo A, 1988. "Servicing the Public Debt: The Role of Expectations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(4), pages 647-61, September.
- Niels Gilbert & Jeroen Hessel & Silvie Verkaart, 2013. "Towards a Stable Monetary Union: What Role for Eurobonds?," DNB Working Papers 379, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Carlo Favero & Alessandro Missale, 2012. "Sovereign spreads in the eurozone: which prospects for a Eurobond?," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 27(70), pages 231-273, 04.
- Beetsma, Roel & Jensen, Henrik, 2003. "Contingent deficit sanctions and moral hazard with a stability pact," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 187-208, October.
- Pier Carlo Padoan & Urban Sila & Paul van den Noord, 2012. "Avoiding debt traps: Fiscal consolidation, financial backstops and structural reforms," OECD Journal: Economic Studies, OECD Publishing, vol. 2012(1), pages 151-177.
- Harald Uhlig, 2013.
"Sovereign Default Risk and Banks in a Monetary Union,"
NBER Working Papers
19343, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Uhlig, Harald, 2013. "Sovereign Default Risk and Banks in a Monetary Union," CEPR Discussion Papers 9606, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Harald Uhlig, 2013. "Sovereign Default Risk and Banks in a Monetary Union," CESifo Working Paper Series 4368, CESifo Group Munich.
- Beetsma, Roel & Uhlig, Harald, 1999. "An Analysis of the Stability and Growth Pact," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(458), pages 546-71, October.
- Wim Boonstra & Allard Bruinshoofd, 2013. "Conditional Euro T-Bills as a Transitional Regime," Chapters in SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
- Stijn Claessens & Hui Tong & Igor Zuccardi, 2011. "Did the Euro Crisis Affect Non-Financial Firm Stock Prices Through a Financial or Trade Channel?," IMF Working Papers 11/227, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:9244. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.