Endogenous debt crises
We distinguish two types of debt crises: those that are the outcome of exogenous shocks (to productivity growth for instance) and those that are endogenously created, either by self-fulfilling panic in financial markets or by the reckless behavior of "Panglossian" borrowers. After Krugman, we characterize as "Panglossian" those borrowers who only focus on their best growth prospects, anticipating to default on their debt if hit by an adverse shock, rationally ignoring the risk of default. We apply these categories empirically to the data. We show that, taken together, endogenous crises are powerful explanations of debt crises, more important for instance than the sheer effect of growth on a country's solvency.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Beetsma, Roel & Mavromatis, Kostas, 2014.
"An analysis of eurobonds,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 91-111.
- R. Gelos & Guido Sandleris & Ratna Sahay, 2004.
"Sovereign Borrowing by Developing Countries; What Determines Market Access?,"
IMF Working Papers
04/221, International Monetary Fund.
- Gelos, R. Gaston & Sahay, Ratna & Sandleris, Guido, 2011. "Sovereign borrowing by developing countries: What determines market access?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 243-254, March.
- R. Gaston Gelos, Ratna Sahay and Guido Sandleris, 2008. "Sovereign Borrowing by Developing Countries: What Determines Market Access?," Business School Working Papers 2008-02, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Dany Jaimovich & Ugo Panizza & Camil F.S. Campos, 2006.
"The Unexplained Part of Public Debt,"
IDB Publications (Working Papers)
6705, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Kraay, Aart & Nehru, Vikram, 2004.
"When is external debt sustainable?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3200, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2006. "World Development Indicators 2006," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 8151, April.
- Marcos Chamon, 2004.
"Can Debt Crises Be Self-Fulfilling?,"
IMF Working Papers
04/99, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:8270. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.