Paths to eurobonds
This paper discusses proposals for common euro area sovereign securities. Such instruments can potentially serve two functions: in the short-term, stabilize financialmarkets and banks and, in the medium-term, help improve the euro area economic governance framework through enhanced fiscal discipline and risk-sharing. Many questions remain onwhether financial instruments can ever accomplish such goals without bold institutional and political decisions, and,whether, in the absence of such decisions, they can create new distortions. The proposals discussed are also not necessarily competing substitutes; rather, they can be complements to be sequenced along alternative paths that possibly culminate in a fully-fledged Eurobond. The specific path chosen by policymakers should allow for learning and secure the necessary evolution of institutional infrastructures and political safeguards.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +32 2 227 4210
Web page: http://www.bruegel.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ignazio Angeloni & AgnÃ¨s BÃ©nassy-QuÃ©rÃ© & Benjamin Carton & Christophe Destais & Zsolt Darvas & Jean Pisani-Ferry & AndrÃ© Sapir & Shahin VallÃ©e, .
"Global currencies for tomorrow: a European perspective,"
Bruegel, number 592, 3.
- André Sapir & Jean Pisani-Ferry, 2011. "Global Currencies for Tomorrow: A European Perspective," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/174278, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Ignazio Angeloni & Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Benjamin Carton & Zsolt Darvas & Christophe Destais & Ludovic Gauvin & Jean Pisani-Ferry & André Sapir & Shahin Vallée, 2011. "Global currencies for tomorrow: A European perspective," European Economy - Economic Papers 444, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Michael D. Bordo & Agnieszka Markiewicz & Lars Jonung, 2011.
"A Fiscal Union for the Euro: Some Lessons from History,"
NBER Working Papers
17380, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael D. Bordo & Lars Jonung & Agnieszka Markiewicz, 2013. "A Fiscal Union for the Euro: Some Lessons from History ," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 59(3), pages 449-488, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bre:wpaper:733. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruegel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.