Should Europe Become a Fiscal Union?
Moving towards a fiscal union does not address the problems of divergence in Europe. Given cultural heterogeneity and diverse preferences, fiscal policy should remain under national sovereignty while important regulatory power is assigned to the Union. The paper argues that more credible fiscal rules combined with tighter surveillance reduce negative policy spillovers. A better capitalized banking sector imposes more market discipline with sovereign risk-premia. Institutional lending by the ESM (European Stabilization Mechanism) to distressed countries is subject to strict conditionality and will impose structural adjustment that was neglected ex ante. Further reform seems necessary to strengthen the financial capacity and institutional independence of the ESM and to impose tighter regulation and more ambitious recapitalization of European banks to contain cross-country contagion on financial markets. Such reform should prevent or at least much reduce the negative consequences of national decision making on other member countries and would in turn support the political goals of establishing peace and harmony in Europe.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Dufourstrasse 50, CH - 9000 St.Gallen|
Phone: +41 71 224 23 25
Fax: +41 71 224 31 35
Web page: http://www.seps.unisg.ch/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Feldstein, Martin S., 2011. "The Euro and European Economic Conditions," Scholarly Articles 9949289, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- C. Randall Henning & Martin Kessler, 2012.
"Fiscal federalism: US history for architects of Europe's fiscal union,"
Essays and Lectures
- C. Randall Henning & Martin Kessler, 2012. "Fiscal Federalism: US History for Architects of Europe's Fiscal Union," Working Paper Series WP12-1, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- André Sapir & Benedicta Marzinotto & Guntram Wolff, 2011.
"What Kind of Fiscal Union ?,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/174293, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Beetsma, Roel & Giuliodori, Massimo, 2009.
"The Macroeconomic Costs and Benefits of the EMU and other Monetary Unions: An Overview of Recent Research,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7500, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Roel Beetsma & Massimo Giuliodori, 2010. "The Macroeconomic Costs and Benefits of the EMU and Other Monetary Unions: An Overview of Recent Research," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 48(3), pages 603-41, September.
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Timo Wollmershäuser, 2011.
"Target Loans, Current Account Balances and Capital Flows: The ECB’s Rescue Facility,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3500, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Timo Wollmershäuser, 2012. "Target loans, current account balances and capital flows: the ECB’s rescue facility," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 19(4), pages 468-508, August.
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Timo Wollmershaeuser, 2011. "Target Loans, Current Account Balances and Capital Flows: The ECB's Rescue Facility," NBER Working Papers 17626, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner & Wollmershäuser, Timo, 2012. "Target loans, current account balances and capital flows: The ECB’s rescue facility," Munich Reprints in Economics 19556, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- C. Randall HENNING & Martin KESSLER, 2012. "Fiscal Federalism: US History for Architects of Europe’s Fiscal Union," Economic Policy, Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, vol. 6, pages 31 pages.
- Andr� Sapir, 2011.
"European Integration at the Crossroads: A Review Essay on the 50th Anniversary of Bela Balassa's Theory of Economic Integration,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 49(4), pages 1200-1229, December.
- André Sapir, 2011. "European Integration at the Crossroads: A Review Essay on the 50 th Anniversary of Bela Balassa’s Theory of Economic Integration," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/174292, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Wallace E. Oates, 1999. "An Essay on Fiscal Federalism," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(3), pages 1120-1149, September.
- ,, 2009. "Economics of Monetary Union," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, edition 8, number 9780199563234, July.
- Michael D. Bordo & Agnieszka Markiewicz & Lars Jonung, 2011.
"A Fiscal Union for the Euro: Some Lessons from History,"
NBER Working Papers
17380, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael D. Bordo & Lars Jonung & Agnieszka Markiewicz, 2013. "A Fiscal Union for the Euro: Some Lessons from History ," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 59(3), pages 449-488, September.
- De Grauwe, Paul, 2011. "Governance of a Fragile Eurozone," CEPS Papers 5523, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Martin S. Feldstein, 2011. "The Euro and European Economic Conditions," NBER Working Papers 17617, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:usg:econwp:2012:05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martina Flockerzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.