Lost at Sea: The Euro Needs a Euro Treasury
The euro crisis remains unresolved even as financial markets may seem calm for now. The current euro regime is inherently flawed. Recent reforms have failed to turn the dysfunctional euro regime into a viable one. The investigation is informed by the "cartalist" critique of traditional "optimum currency area" theory (Goodhart 1998). Various proposals to rescue the euro are assessed and found lacking. A Euro Treasury scheme operating on a strict rule and specifically designed not to be a transfer union is proposed here as condition sine qua non for healing the euro's potentially fatal birth defects. The Euro Treasury proposed here is the missing element that will mend the current fiscal regime that is unworkable without it. The proposed Euro Treasury scheme would end the currently unfolding euro calamity by switching policy from a public thrift campaign that can only impoverish Europe to a public investment campaign designed to secure Europe's future. No mutualization of existing national public debts is involved. Instead, the Euro Treasury is established as a means to pool eurozone public investment spending and have it funded by proper eurozone treasury securities.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hans-Böckler-Straße 39, 40476 Düsseldorf|
Phone: +49 211 7778 234
Fax: +49 211 7778 4234
Web page: http://www.imk-boeckler.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gregor Semieniuk, 2012. "Still focused on public deficits. Some remarks on the euro area stability programmes 2012-2015," IMK Working Paper 101-2012, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Willi Koll, 2013. "Neue Wirtschaftsregierung und Tarifautonomie in der Europäischen Union, Makroökonomische Koordinierung im Dialog," IMK Studies 30-2013, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Stephanie Kelton, 2011. "Limitations of the Government Budget Constraint: Users vs. Issuers of the Currency," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 58(1), pages 57-66, March.
- Ashoka Mody & Stijn Claessens & Shahin VallÃ©e, 2012.
"Paths to Eurobonds,"
IMF Working Papers
12/172, International Monetary Fund.
- Guntram B. Wolff, 2012. "A budget for Europe's monetary union," Policy Contributions 762, Bruegel.
- Jorg Bibow, 2013. "On the Franco-German Euro Contradiction and Ultimate Euro Battleground," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_762, Levy Economics Institute.
- Jakob von Weizsäcker & Jacques Delpla, 2010. "The Blue Bond Proposal," Policy Briefs 403, Bruegel.
- James, Harold, 2012. "Making the European Monetary Union," Economics Books, Harvard University Press, number 9780674066830.
- Michael D. Bordo & Lars Jonung & Agnieszka Markiewicz, 2013.
"A Fiscal Union for the Euro: Some Lessons from History ,"
CESifo Economic Studies,
CESifo, vol. 59(3), pages 449-488, September.
- Michael D. Bordo & Agnieszka Markiewicz & Lars Jonung, 2011. "A Fiscal Union for the Euro: Some Lessons from History," NBER Working Papers 17380, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marco Buti & Nicolas Carnot, 2012. "The EMU Debt Crisis: Early Lessons and Reforms," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(6), pages 899-911, November.
- George S. Tavlas, 1993. "The ‘New’ Theory of Optimum Currency Areas," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(6), pages 663-685, November.
- Nicolas Veron & Guntram B. Wolff, 2013.
"From Supervision to Resolution: Next Steps on the Road to European Banking Union,"
PB13-5, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Nicolas Véron & Guntram B. Wolff, 2013. "From supervision to resolution: next steps on the road to European banking union," Policy Contributions 771, Bruegel.
- George S. Tavlas, 2009. "Optimum-Currency-Area Paradoxes," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(3), pages 536-551, 08.
- Jörg Bibow, 2004. "Reflections on the current fashion for central bank independence," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(4), pages 549-576, July.
- Jakob von Weizsäcker & Jacques Delpla, 2011. "Eurobonds: The blue bond concept and its implications," Policy Contributions 509, Bruegel.
- Ugo Panizza & Andrea Filippo Presbitero, 2012.
"Public Debt and Economic Growth: Is There a Causal Effect?,"
Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers
65, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Panizza, Ugo & Presbitero, Andrea F., 2014. "Public debt and economic growth: Is there a causal effect?," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 21-41.
- Panizza, Ugo & Presbitero, Andrea F., 2012. "Public debt and economic growth: Is there a causal effect?," POLIS Working Papers 168, Institute of Public Policy and Public Choice - POLIS.
- Gregor Semieniuk & Till van Treeck & Achim Truger, 2011. "Nothing learned from the crisis? Some remarks on the Stability Programmes 2011-2014 of the Euro area governments," IMK Working Paper 11-2011, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Francesco Paolo Mongelli, 2005. "What is European Economic and Monetary Union Telling us About the Properties of Optimum Currency Areas?," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(3), pages 607-635, 09.
- Dirk Schoenmaker, 2013. "Post-Crisis Reversal in Banking and Insurance Integration: An Empirical Survey," European Economy - Economic Papers 2008 - 2015 496, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- J. Bradford DeLong & Lawrence H. Summers, 2012. "Fiscal Policy in a Depressed Economy," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 44(1 (Spring), pages 233-297.
- Olivier J. Blanchard & Daniel Leigh, 2013.
"Growth Forecast Errors and Fiscal Multipliers,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 103(3), pages 117-20, May.
- Olivier J Blanchard & Daniel Leigh, 2013. "Growth Forecast Errors and Fiscal Multipliers," IMF Working Papers 13/1, International Monetary Fund.
- Olivier J. Blanchard & Daniel Leigh, 2013. "Growth Forecast Errors and Fiscal Multipliers," NBER Working Papers 18779, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Valila, Timo & Mehrotra, Aaron, 2005. "Evolution And Determinants Of Public Investment In Europe," Economic and Financial Reports 2005/1, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- DREZE, Jacques & DURRE, Alain, 2013. "Fiscal integration and growth stimulation in Europe," CORE Discussion Papers 2013013, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Eckhard Hein & Achim Truger, 2006. "Fiscal Policy and Macroeconomic Performance in the Euro area - Lessons for the Future," IMK Working Paper 07-2006, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Thomas J. Sargent & Neil Wallace, 1981. "Some unpleasant monetarist arithmetic," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Fall.
- Gennaro Zezza, 2012. "The impact of fiscal austerity in the Eurozone," Review of Keynesian Economics, Edward Elgar Publishing, vol. 1(0), pages 37-54.
- Hein, Eckhard & Truger, Achim, 2013. "Future fiscal and debt policies: Germany in the Context of the European Monetary Union," IPE Working Papers 24/2013, Berlin School of Economics and Law, Institute for International Political Economy (IPE).
- Michael D. Bordo & Lars Jonung, 1999. "The Future of EMU: What Does the History of Monetary Unions Tell Us?," NBER Working Papers 7365, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imk:studie:35-2013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Nemitz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.