Fiscal integration and growth stimulation in Europe
With the current sovereign debt crisis, the incompleteness of economic integration in the Economic and Monetary Union (EMU) has become patent leading to an intense debate among academics and policy makers. Most of the debate focuses on the needs to strengthen fiscal rules and to restore fiscal imbalances through austerity measures which weigh on growth prospects. In this paper we analyse current economic developments within the euro area through the lens of general equilibrium theory. We address two issues (international sharing of macroeconomics risks and coordinated growth stimulation) which are essential to guarantee the sustainability of the EMU. More specifically, we propose mechanisms to cope with intergenerational and interregional risks while focusing on (fiscally neutral) investments meeting social needs and apt to break the vicious circle between fiscal imbalances and stagnation.
|Date of creation:||06 May 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gordon, Roger H. & Varian, Hal R., 1988.
"Intergenerational risk sharing,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 185-202, November.
- John Gilbert & Nilanjan Banik, 2010.
"Socioeconomic Impacts of Cross- Border Transport Infrastructure Development in South Asia,"
Development Economics Working Papers
21803, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Gilbert, John & Banik, Nilanjan, 2010. "Socioeconomic Impacts of Cross-Border Transport Infrastructure Development in South Asia," ADBI Working Papers 211, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- John Gilbert & Nilanjan Banik, 2010. "Socioeconomic Impacts of Cross-Border Transport Infrastructure Development in South Asia," Working Papers id:3105, eSocialSciences.
- Herings, P.J.J. & Polemarchakis, H.M., 1999.
"Pareto Improving Price Regulation when the Asset Market is Incomplete,"
1999-30, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- P. Herings & Herakles Polemarchakis, 2005. "Pareto improving price regulation when the asset market is incomplete," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 135-154, 01.
- HERINGS, Jean-Jacques & POLEMARCHAKIS, Heracles, 1998. "Pareto improving price regulation when the asset market is incomplete," CORE Discussion Papers 1998041, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- P. J. J. Herings & H. M. Polemarchakis, 2003. "Pareto Improving Price Regulation When the Asset Market is Incomplete," Discussion Papers 03-20, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- P. Jean-Jacques Herings & Heracles M. Polemarchakis, 1999. "Pareto Improving Price Regulation When the Asset Market Is Incomplete," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1210, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Herings P. Jean-Jacques & Polemarchakis H. M., 2002. "Pareto Improving Price Regulation When the Asset Market Is Incomplete," Research Memorandum 008, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Herings P. Jean-Jacques & Polemarchakis H. M., 2000. "Pareto Improving Price Regulation When the Asset Market Is Incomplete," Research Memorandum 008, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Dreze, Jacques H. & Modigliani, Franco, 1972. "Consumption decisions under uncertainty," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 308-335, December.
- Uhlig, Harald, 2002. "One Money, but Many Fiscal Policies in Europe: What Are the Consequences?," CEPR Discussion Papers 3296, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Uhlig, H.F.H.V.S., 2002. "One Money, But Many Fiscal Policies in Europe : What are the Consequences?," Discussion Paper 2002-32, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Giovanni Peri, 1998. "Regional non-adjustment and fiscal policy," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 13(26), pages 205-259, 04.
- Wheaton, William C, 1977. "Residential Decentralization, Land Rents, and the Benefits of Urban Transportation Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(2), pages 138-43, March.
- Drudi, Francesco & Durré, Alain & Mongelli, Francesco Paolo, 2012. "The interplay of economic reforms and monetary policy: the case of the euro area," Working Paper Series 1467, European Central Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:2013013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.