Are banks affected by their holdings of government debt?
The strong relation between sovereign and banking stress is frequently emphasised, especially since the start of the European sovereign debt crisis. This working paper sheds light on the determinants of the link. It studies the stock market performance and the holdings of government debt of the banks stress tested by the European Banking Authority in July and December 2011. A number of results stand out: Banksâ?? holdings of the sovereign bonds of vulnerable countries generally decreased during the period December 2010 to September 2011. The average stock market performance of each countryâ??s banks was very uneven during 2011. The long-term refinancing operation (LTRO) had no material effect on banksâ?? stock market values. Greek debt holdings had an effect on banksâ?? market values in the period July to October 2011 while after October this effect disappeared. Holdings of Italian and Irish debt had a material effect on banksâ?? market value in the period October to December 2011. Holdings of debt of other periphery countries, in particular Spain, were not an issue. The July PSI deal did not substantially affect the risk resulting from holdings of debt other than Greek debt. The location of banks matters for their market value. This highlights the need to form a banking union in the euroarea.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +32 2 227 4210
Web page: http://www.bruegel.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reinhart, Carmen M. & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2009.
"The Aftermath of Financial Crises,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7209, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2008.
"Las secuelas de las crisis financieras
[The aftermath of financial crisis]," MPRA Paper 13695, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen M. & Rogoff, Kenneth S., 2009. "The Aftermath of Financial Crises," Scholarly Articles 11129155, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "The Aftermath of Financial Crises," NBER Working Papers 14656, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2008. "Las secuelas de las crisis financieras
- Adrian Alter & Yves Stephan Schüler, 2011.
"Credit Spead Interdependencies of European States and Banks during the Financial Crisis,"
Working Paper Series of the Department of Economics, University of Konstanz
2011-24, Department of Economics, University of Konstanz.
- Alter, Adrian & Schüler, Yves S., 2012. "Credit spread interdependencies of European states and banks during the financial crisis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 3444-3468.
- Acharya, Viral V & Drechsler, Itamar & Schnabl, Philipp, 2011.
"A Pyrrhic Victory? Bank Bailouts and Sovereign Credit Risk,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8679, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Viral V. Acharya & Itamar Drechsler & Philipp Schnabl, 2011. "A Pyrrhic Victory? - Bank Bailouts and Sovereign Credit Risk," NBER Working Papers 17136, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ejsing, Jacob & Lemke, Wolfgang, 2011. "The Janus-headed salvation: Sovereign and bank credit risk premia during 2008-2009," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 110(1), pages 28-31, January.
- Iara, Anna & Wolff, Guntram B., 2014.
"Rules and risk in the Euro area,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 222-236.
- Silvia Merler & Jean Pisani-Ferry, 2012. "Who's afraid of sovereign bonds?," Policy Contributions 695, Bruegel.
- Benedicta Marzinotto & AndrÃ© Sapir & Guntram B. Wolff, 2011.
"What kind of fiscal union?,"
- Bolton, Patrick & Jeanne, Olivier, 2011.
"Sovereign Default Risk and Bank Fragility in Financially Integrated Economies,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8358, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Patrick Bolton & Olivier Jeanne, 2011. "Sovereign Default Risk and Bank Fragility in Financially Integrated Economies," IMF Economic Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 59(2), pages 162-194, June.
- Patrick Bolton & Olivier Jeanne, 2011. "Sovereign Default Risk and Bank Fragility in Financially Integrated Economies," NBER Working Papers 16899, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bre:wpaper:717. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruegel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.